RIP (uncle Phil) James Avery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP (uncle Phil) James Avery

Actor James Avery, who played the beloved Uncle Phil on the hit 1990s sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” has died, his publicist said Wednesday. He was 68.

The cause of death was complications from open-heart surgery, said his manager, Toni Benson.

His "Fresh Prince" co-star Alfonso Ribeiro tweeted news of Avery's passing.

"I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away," Riberio tweeted. "He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly.

A classically trained actor and poet, Avery grew up in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where he was raised by a single mother. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and first appeared onscreen as a dancer in an uncredited role in the 1980 film "The Blues Brothers."

According to IMDb, after he served in the military, Avery moved to San Diego, California, where he began writing TV scripts and poetry for PBS. Before joining the military, he once said, he had dreams of being like Richard Wright and living in Paris. But life took a different turn.

"I knew I loved the arts," Avery said in an interview for the show "Unscripted." "I knew I wanted to be a writer, but the theater was something I had been involved in before."

Avery appeared in multiple TV shows and movies, including "CSI," "That '70s Show," "The Closer" and several appearances as a judge on "L.A. Law."

Indeed, with his deep, mellifluous voice, he frequently played judges, professors and doctors -- Uncle Phil began as a lawyer and eventually became a judge -- and was much in demand as a voice actor. His voice roles included Shredder in the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series and James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the 1990s animated series version of "Iron Man."

He most recently appeared in Zach Braff's new film, "Wish I Was Here," which will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival later this month.
    "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Was he a craftsman?
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Comment

rip uncle phil.

Comment

I remember this show when it was new, getting older sucks. R.i.p.

Comment

RIP James
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Powerful episode...still gets me in the ole ticker.
              RIP Uncle Phil...

Originally posted by roliath View Post

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                Powerful episode...still gets me in the ole ticker.
                RIP Uncle Phil...
                Wtf. That's exactly what I said, when my old lady broke the news to me! Bro?
                .....bro....

Comment

Damn, watched that show every week as a kid

RIP Avery
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Comment

LOLz, well done.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

He was an actual uncle of one of my brother's friends from high school. I didn't even know until I had dinner with my brothers friend a few years ago (he lived in Dallas at the time).

RIP

Comment

Totally just learned today he was the voice of Shredder. Rip James Avery
                          Last edited by RJDCobra; 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                          X