No announcement yet.

Apartment rent increase "too much"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the article from the end of July. Sorry for the length, but an interesting read:

Earlier today, when we reported that median asking rents in the US had just hit an all time high, we had a thought: how long until the hedge funds that also double down as landlords decide to bypass the simple collection the rental cash flows, and instead collateralize the actual underlying "securities"? One look at the chart below - which compares the median asking "for sale" price in black and the median rent in red - shows why.

The last time there was a great divergence (to the benefit of housing), Wall Street spawned an entire Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities industry where Paulson, Goldman willing sellers would package mortgages, often-times synthetically, slice them up in tranches of assorted riskiness, and sell them to willing idiots yield-starved buyers. As everyone knows, that particular securitization bubble ended with the bankruptcy of Lehman, the bailout of AIG and the near collapse of the financial system. As it turns out, the answer to our original question was "a few hours" because securitizations are back, baby, and this time they are scarier and riskier than ever.

It appears that since America's financially innovative elite doesn't have the patience to wait until housing prices regain their previous all time highs in order to usher in the second great RMBS wave, they looked long and hard at the chart above, and especially the red rental line, and came up with a brilliant idea: "Hey, let's just securitize rents."

Sadly, we are not kidding. The WSJ reports:

Two major Wall Street firms are in detailed discussions to create and sell the world's first bond backed by home-rental payments, people familiar with the matter say.

Blackstone Group LP is in negotiations to bundle monthly rental payments on around 1,500 to 1,700 of its homes. The private-equity giant is among the firms that have spent billions buying homes out of foreclosure, an investment strategy that has helped to bolster demand and strengthen the U.S. housing market.

The bond comprised of the Blackstone homes would be structured and marketed to investors by Deutsche Bank AG, the people say.

Step aside (R/C)MBS, and meet your New Normal mutant offspring: the Rent-Backed Security.

The creation of a new type of security shows that Wall Street's financial engineering, blamed for deepening the financial crisis, is revving back up.

Some investors and analysts have said they are wary of a bond backed by rental payments, citing the dearth of long-term data on how often tenants living in previously foreclosed homes pay their rent on time.

Also, some investors and analysts have raised concerns about how quickly firms have purchased thousands of homes, and whether they have the management track record and expertise to oversee the maintenance of properties scattered across the country.

Why worry? Remember it was only 2007 when everyone said, especially the Fed Chairman Bernanke, that housing prices are unlikely to ever go down. Actually, forget we just said that. What is important is that it is now 2013, and rental payment are unlikely to ever go down!

But even if they did, in a world in which the Fed has created the largest credit bubble of all times, and everyone is starved for yield and will do and invest in anything just to get a few incremental basis points in order to preserve their jobs, can anyone really blame Wall Street? And after all, it is not like they are investing their own personal money: such is the magic of "other people's money" - be it direct or indirect investments, pension funds or outright deposits.

But investors are still hungry for the high returns that are likely to accompany a first-of-its-kind deal, which will be viewed as more risky than well-known securities.

One other thing is certain: once BX and DB price the deal successfully, everyone and their grandmother who has REO-to-Rent exposure will line up to sell the rental "collateral", even if it technically does not exist: not just because synthetic rent-backed securities are likely just around the corner too, but because unlike a mortgage where the opportunity cost of walking away is at least one's credit rating going to zero for 3-5 years and with it the ability to max out those credit cards, walking away from a rental contract has far less dire implications if any. As for the upcoming deal itself, here are the details:

The size of the Blackstone-Deutsche Bank deal is expected to be around $240 million to $275 million, the people familiar with the bond say. The top-rated slice could receive a rating as high as single-A or triple-B from some of the credit-rating firms, some of the people familiar with the deal add. The deal is expected to be backed by equity and properties that are worth between $300 million to $350 million, the people familiar with the matter said.

The deal could be available to investors as soon as August or September. But the metrics could change as the details aren't completed, cautioned some of those people.

So why rents? Simple: investment houses have too much exposure in this "asset class" - as in waaaaaay too much exposure, so they need to offload it.

Blackstone has emerged as the biggest investor in single-family rental homes, spending more than $5.5 billion since the beginning of last year to acquire about 32,000 homes in around a dozen major U.S. markets.

Other companies, such as American Homes 4 Rent, Colony Capital LLC and Waypoint Real Estate Group LLC also have been snapping up thousands of foreclosed homes, revamping them and renting them out. American Homes 4 Rent, with 19,000 homes owned or controlled, is expected to price shares of its stock Wednesday in a bid to raise $750 million in an initial offering on the New York Stock Exchange.

The companies have transformed what has traditionally been a space for "mom and pop" investors to earn cash into an institutional investment strategy that has helped to boost home prices in cities across the U.S. The investment strategy is often known as buy-to-rent.

As for the process of monetizing rents, it is a simple and well-known one: securitization.

Securitization is the process of pooling together assets—whether that is rental or mortgage payments—to back a deal. That deal is then "sliced" into different layers, or bonds, according to the risk of the underlying assets and the order in which bondholders will be paid as the payments from the underlying assets roll in.

Each layer is sold as a "class" of bonds to investors. The top layer is paid first, then the second and so on. The riskiest slices offer the highest potential returns.

While securitization got a bad rap because of the losses investors suffered after purchasing such deals before the financial crisis, proponents say it can be an effective process to tap the capital markets for financing by turning thousands of separate cash-generating assets into bonds.

Analysts have said in recent months that Blackstone and Deutsche Bank were a likely pairing on an initial rental securitization. Blackstone's real-estate prowess could quell some investors' fears about management of the properties, while Deutsche Bank has led the charge among Wall Street banks offering loans to real-estate firms buying foreclosed homes.

Deutsche Bank has led the issuance of around $3.6 billion of loans to Blackstone in recent months, coordinating with other major Wall Street banks. Debt financing allows borrowers such as Blackstone to buy more properties at lower costs. The sale of a Blackstone-backed securitization would bring still more money to the company.

There is more, but the gist is clear enough that we hardly need to point it out.

Or maybe we do: securitization marked the peak of the last housing bubble. If the Blackstone deal indeed comes to market and prices, and is followed by many more, the end of the second credit and housing bubble is now, mercifully, in plain sight, which for those sick and tired of centrally-planned and manipulated markets is actually good news: the faster this artificial house of cards crashes and burns, the better, so if Blackstone wants to dump its housing exposure to the biggest idiot, more power to it.

And expounding on what we just said in the last sentence: Blackstone - America's largest landlord - is now actively selling its housing exposure, whether with the assistance of Goldman's Fab Tourre, Paulson's Paolo Pellegrini, or... Deutsche Bank's own Greg Lippmann.

Furthermore, if it is selling, it means there will be active buyers on the other side who will soon be the shorts of the year, just like AIG and it idiot peers were in 2006 and 2007. Which is good news for all those shorters who have been dormant for the past 3-4 years when Bernanke onboarded all the credit risk personally. After all, it was not for naught that the TBAC said it desperately needs the return of securitization for Bernanke to be able to slowly step away from monetizing everything. This deal will be precisely the canary in the coalmine to decide if Bernanke can, indeed, finally step aside.

Finally, for those who have been on the fence about whether or not to sell their house, this is your warning sign. When the biggest housing bull starts selling, run for the proverbial hills.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Glad I sold my place this month while the getting was good. Had multiple offers the first day on the market and sold over asking to a cash buyer. I'm hoping to wait a few years on the side lines while socking away cash and wait for another "pop". I wish I would have been in a position to pick something up during the last down turn when rates and pricing were low.

Comment

Since we're talking about home prices:

Home prices have zipped back into record territory in a handful of American cities, a milestone that comes seven years after the housing bust ravaged the market and the broader economy.

Values are up more than 13% from their 2007 high in Oklahoma City and by more than 6% in the Denver metro area. Prices are back to all-time highs in 10 of the nation's 50 largest metropolitan areas, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of price data from Zillow, an online real-estate information service. Prices are within 5% of their previous peak in San Jose, Calif.; Nashville, Tenn.; and Dallas.

Prices nationally remain below the highs of the past decade, and many of the cities that have seen the biggest gains largely escaped a boom and bust.

Home prices in some parts of the country that did experience a bust have benefited from low supplies of homes for sale and historically low interest rates that have boosted prices—and sparked concerns that prices could again be overvalued.

The figures aren't adjusted for inflation, but experts say they underscore the uneven nature of the U.S. housing recovery.

"The main story in a lot of these places is that they didn't have much of a housing recession. It's much easier to be back at peak levels when you didn't have a big boom and bust," said Stan Humphries, chief economist at Zillow.

Why U.S. home prices should rise another 5% in 2014. Plus, the best 2014 opportunities will be in Korea, Taiwan and China. Senior editor Jack Hough previews the latest issue of Barron's Magazine. Photo: Getty Images.

But in those areas that did experience a downturn, he added, "I'm surprised that we are back to peak levels so quickly."

Brian Long of Colorado was surprised, too. At the top of the housing bubble in 2006, Mr. Long paid $667,500 for a five-bedroom home in Lafayette, Colo., which is about 20 miles northwest of Denver. Prices then fell 12% through 2011. This summer, he sold the home for $710,000.

"The opportunity came up, so we ran with it," said the 49-year-old Mr. Long, who runs a company that collects and sells market research.

The 10 metro areas enjoying a full-scale rebound are based on figures for the entire region. The Wall Street Journal also analyzed Zillow price data individually in more than 4,400 cities and towns in the country's largest metro areas. Nearly 10% of municipalities have seen prices reach new highs this year when compared with their previous peak, and prices are within 5% of their previous highs in 300 more.

These cities are largely exceptions, and prices in many parts of the U.S. are still well below their peak. In some 1,500 cities, values are still at least 25% lower than their previous highs. Nationally, values fell 23.8% between 2007 and 2011 before rebounding 9.9% after hitting bottom in late 2011; they are now 16.3% below the high of the last decade, according to Zillow.

The Zillow data also reveal the extreme variation—even within a particular metropolitan area—of the housing boom, bust and recovery. Prices are up 40% from their prior highs in Palo Alto, Calif., which is just 50 miles from San Pablo, a working-class suburb north of Oakland. Values there are still 54% below their peak. While 38% of all Bay Area ZIP Codes are back above their prior peaks, prices in another 18% are more than 25% below their previous highs, according to the Zillow data.

To find some of the nation's steadiest housing markets, head to the Great Plains and Texas, which have enjoyed strong job and population growth tied to the oil, mineral and gas industries.

"We had no bubble here, so there was really no reason for prices to drop," said Keith Taggart, a real-estate agent in Mustang, Okla., and president of the Oklahoma City Metro Association of Realtors. Nearly 2,000 people relocate to the area every month, creating demand for homes, he said. At the same time, there's plenty of land to develop, so prices don't rise in "any outrageous way," Mr. Taggart said.

In August, Gwen Thompson and her husband sold for $92,000 the three-bedroom home in Mustang that they paid $65,000 for in 1995.

"People keep moving here, and that really helped hold value," said Ms. Thompson, a 45-year-old executive assistant at a local bank. She and her husband broke ground last month on a $245,000 home that is being built one town over.

Nearly every ZIP Code in Oklahoma City's metro area is at a record high or within 5% of the previous high, according to the Journal analysis. Values in more than 60% of ZIP Codes in five other metro areas—Tulsa, Okla.; Buffalo, N.Y.; Rochester, N.Y.; Austin and Denver—have reached new highs.

The Zillow data compared prices in October with the previous decade's peak price, which for most cities was reached between 2005 and 2007. The company uses a proprietary model to estimate values, considering recent sales and appraisals to determine the median value of all homes for a given area.

Some well-off communities in coastal California, Boston and Washington, D.C., which saw modest price declines during the bust, are rebounding quickly and reaching new highs because of supply shortages and better-than-average job growth. Prices in Palo Alto, for example, have jumped nearly 19% in the year ending in October and stood nearly 40% above their 2007 peak, one of the largest gains in the survey.

"What you're looking at, for the most part, are high-end neighborhoods that never saw the same degree of inflation in the first place," said Christopher Thornberg, a housing economist with Beacon Economics in Los Angeles.

Some economists worry that home buyers along the coasts could again be looking at homes as investments rather than as places to live.

To the extent that gains aren't supported by rising rents or incomes, "you start to go, 'Geez, did people get a little too excited?' " said Thomas Lawler, an independent housing economist in Leesburg, Va.

It is unclear how much longer buyers will continue to bid prices higher. Buyers often tell Mia Simon, a real-estate agent with Redfin in Silicon Valley, that they are going to sit out the market. "They say, 'This is crazy. This can't continue,'" she said. "The rest are like, 'Why didn't I buy in 2010 or 2011?' "

A separate concern is that low interest rates have distorted prices. Most homeowners who need a mortgage shop for a home based on their monthly payment. The Federal Reserve's policies have kept mortgage rates near all-time lows. While those rates have helped make homes extremely affordable, homes could look much less affordable once mortgage rates rise, especially if prices have zoomed higher.

"What you've got is something other than a sensible market-deciding price. You've got it goosed by the terms of finance, which are extraordinary," said Robert Albertson, chief strategist at Sandler O'Neill + Partners, an investment-banking firm in New York. "Prices shouldn't be up this high, this quickly. It's a big, flapping yellow flag saying we're back in territory that we should not be in."

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          I am just curious what residential folks have seen. I know mortgage apps are in the toilet, the rise in rates has killed them in the last few months. I'm wondering how long before we see the results of that. Rates aren't going to do anything but go higher.
          The phone is ringing less and when it does it's people asking for rates in the 3s (they're almost to 5.000%).

The article about rent securitization is interesting because that's about the time appraisals started coming in over the sales prices again (not much, but for a long time it was right at the sales price without exception).

Comment

Locked in and closing jan 13 @ 3.75. If I had found the house 2 weeks earlier rate would have been 3.45. Last year I was shopping and kept getting outbid rate would have been 2.75 lol

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
              Locked in and closing jan 13 @ 3.75. If I had found the house 2 weeks earlier rate would have been 3.45. Last year I was shopping and kept getting outbid rate would have been 2.75 lol
              We have people locked in the 3s as well, but the going rate is well above that (unless it's an ARM or you're paying points). We did a few 2.750% loans last year.

Comment

Mine only went up $14, but I was already paying a grand for a one bedroom..

Comment

had a similar situation years ago. signed a 12 month lease with the increase but negotiated a garage in to the same price. went up $85/month if i remember correct.

Comment

my apt did this shit to me which forced me to move.

i used to like my old apartment. was in a nice area of west plano, had fios internet available and attached garage. cool neighbors, never an issue with lack of parking. i was there for 3 years and the rent went up only $25 since i moved in at $625, no big deal.

but at the end of the 3rd year i was up for renewal in 3 months. my rent was going up from 650 to 750. a bit annoying but i would have paid.

well, meanwhile my neighbor was moving out (he was at $725 and was to be increased to $750 i think).

after he moved out, they came in, swapped to wood floors and upgraded the appliances.

so a new girl moves in. turns out she was at $550!

i was ticked, no longer willing to renew with any increase. went and talked with the fat cunt of an apt manager who was useless and ultimately after a sit down meeting with her i belittled her and made her admit she does jack shit, just does what the computer tells her to.

their apt software thinks it's a good idea to cycle new tenants in & out. it's clearly much more profitable to encourage my neighbor paying $725, spend $2-3000 to upgrade the place while losing a month of rent then ultimately rent that shit out for $550. brilliant.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Stating a rate doesn't mean a whole lot unless you tell us 15 year, 30 year, etc.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        Housing doom.
                        Jesus...that's terrifying. It never felt like we truly recovered from the last bubble, I can see this one being worse just because we aren't at full strength.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                          Stating a rate doesn't mean a whole lot unless you tell us 15 year, 30 year, etc.
                          sorry 15yr on everything I said above. FHA

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                            A teacher friend of mine is currently paying $730 in rent. The apartments are saying the renewal rate is $831. The same apartment is listed on their web site at $775 for new residents.

The difference in rent is significant in their budget, but moving would cost almost as much as the increase and they don't want to move since other friends live in the same complex. My guess is that's the apartment manager's "game" and most people just end up paying more to stay put because it's easier.

After a brief search, I see Texas has no rent control laws. My question for anyone who has been through this - is there anything that can be done? I called the apartment association of greater DFW, but of course no on can give legal advice (despite the TX apartment association pointing there for assistance...).
                            Lol at bitching at $100 rent increase.... My thoughts would be to haggle like a motherfucker. Rent is more expensive in other parts of texas too....
                            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                              Jesus...that's terrifying. It never felt like we truly recovered from the last bubble, I can see this one being worse just because we aren't at full strength.
                              Agreed.
                              sorry 15yr on everything I said above. FHA
                              FHA is the big difference maker there FWIW.
                              Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                              Lol at bitching at $100 rent increase.... My thoughts would be to haggle like a motherfucker. Rent is more expensive in other parts of texas too....
                              5% of a (gross) budget is not an insignificant amount. Rent is also cheaper in other places. I paid $350/month in Lubbock, but that's a bit of a commute.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                                Agreed.
                                FHA is the big difference maker there FWIW.

5% of a (gross) budget is not an insignificant amount. Rent is also cheaper in other places. I paid $350/month in Lubbock, but that's a bit of a commute.
                                always thought fha was the worst type of loan to get?

Comment

Working...
                                X