Homeowner kills Deputy in No-Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowner kills Deputy in No-Knock

Cops suspect drugs and "illegal" guns. Does no-knock. Homeowner defends against intruder. Kills cop.

A Burleson County sheriff's deputy leading a dawn, no-knock drug raid was shot and killed by the homeowner last Thursday. Sgt. Adam Sowders becomes the 40th person to die in US domestic drug law enforcement operations so far this year.

Although Sowders was killed early last Thursday morning, we delayed reporting the story because the sheriff's department refused for several days to release search warrant information that would have verified it was indeed a drug-related search warrant.

According to the Bryan-College Station Eagle, Sowders had obtained a search warrant for the residence after obtaining information that the homeowner was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns. The warrant was a "no-knock" warrant, meaning police could forcibly enter the residence without giving residents a chance to respond.

Sowders, the first officer through the door, was shot and killed by homeowner Henry Goedrich Magee, 28, who has now been charged with capital murder. But Magee's attorney, famed Houston defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin, said Magee and his pregnant girlfriend were sleeping in the home when they heard "explosives" going off and loud pounding at the door. Moments later, the door burst open and a person Magee couldn't identify entered the residence. Magee grabbed a rifle leaning against his bedroom door frame and shot Sowders. According to DeGuerin, Magee shot him because he "believed the man rushing in was an intruder and he needed to defend himself."

Magee has a felony and a misdemeanor drug conviction, but DeGuerin said all investigators found inside the trailer were a few marijuana plants and four guns that were all legal. DeGuerin pointed at the no-knock warrant as a contributing factor in Sowder's death.

"The danger is that if you're sitting in your home and it's pitch black outside and your door gets busted in without warning, what the hell are you supposed to do?" DeGuerin said.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Being a felon I am not sure he was supposed to have guns at all.

Comment

I thought I was going to read this and see that nothing had been found. I can understand the need for a no knock warrant but don't think it's worth the life of a police officer to serve it. Why couldn't they wait till the house was empty and serve it than or pull the suspect over while he is away from the house and than serve the search warrant at the residence?

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        Being a felon I am not sure he was supposed to have guns at all.

Federally, but the state of Texas has different laws about felons and guns.

Comment

I believe in Texas you can have them in your home if it's been 5 years since conviction.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I am not a cop so dont fry me over this but I think I may be just a tad bit leery about doing one of these no knock things anywhere in Texas if I was a cop. In fact I think unless I knew for a fact some seriously evil stuff was going on I wouldn't do it. Guy is dead over a few pot plants.....

Comment

such bullshit. A cop got killed over a couple weed plants.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Really piss poor judgement on the part of the police department. Also, just one more reason why the drug war needs to end and pot be made perfectly legal.

Comment

I think we were all waiting for this to happen, as much disdain there is over no-knocks.

Surprisingly, the cops didn't kill the homeowner, his girlfriend and dog.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    I know its bullshit, not worth the guys life.

"The danger is that if you're sitting in your home and it's pitch black outside and your door gets busted in without warning, what the hell are you supposed to do?" DeGuerin said.
                    We have had this conversation here, many times. What are we supposed to do in a late night situation like that, where we are woken up by a loud noise.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      Oh but it took drugs off the street!!

Comment

I'm going to pull the triger till it goes click,click,click.... cop or not. Kickdo a mf'er on suspicion, get killed for suspicion. same~same.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          I believe in Texas you can have them in your home if it's been 5 years since conviction.
                          I think the felony also has to be a non violent offense. Someone more familiar with the law can clarify.

You knew it was only a matter of time before cops started getting shot on no knock warrants. I know Matt was a big fan of them, but you would think most officers would want very little to do with a no knock warrant. I don't condone shooting a cop, but I can certainly see how a homeowner is going to defend his property. I can't really get behind any reasons for a no knock unless a crime is in progress, like kidnapping, rape, etc.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by JETFAST View Post
                            I'm going to pull the triger till it goes click,click,click.... cop or not. Kickdo a mf'er on suspicion, get killed for suspicion. same~same.
                            look out guys....

Comment

Although Sowders was killed early last Thursday morning, we delayed reporting the story because the sheriff's department refused for several days to release search warrant information that would have verified it was indeed a drug-related search warrant.
                              Yeah, that doesn't sound suspicious at all...

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X