Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Hill Mayors step son shot and killed during XMAS burglary

Damn.

Just before midnight on Christmas Eve, Gareth Long woke to a noise outside his bedroom door. He got out of bed, grabbed a handgun, and went to investigate.

In the hallway of his Cedar Hill home, Long's attorney told The Dallas Morning News, he encountered a stranger. Several times, Long told the man he was armed and asked the intruder to leave. When he wouldn't, Long fired.

The man, identified by police as 31-year-old Joshua Slaven, was pronounced dead one minute before the clock struck midnight.

Slaven is reportedly the step-son of Cedar Hill Mayor Rob Franke, who lives a couple of blocks away from Long on the same street.

According to court records, Slaven wasn't supposed to be at either home. The Morning News reports that he was arrested on November 25 for violating a protective order after showing up at the mayor's home and attempting to persuade his sister to let him in.

Long already has a lawyer, Chris Knox, who says Long's actions were justified under Texas' castle doctrine.

"It's very unfortunate that Mr. Long was forced into a position of having to defend himself, his wife and his home from a nighttime intruder," Knox told the News. "Nobody ever asks to be placed in such a life-threatening position, but Mr. Long's actions were absolutely justified and completely protected under Texas law."

Sounds like he did society a favor.

Comment

Known that guy since I was 14. Well, I haven't seen him since shortly after HS, but he's always been a mess.
      US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Now that I think about it maybe I met him when I was 12. Life is crazy.
        US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

That's one way to ruin your Christmas.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Someone I know had his kid turn himself in recently. The garbage men reported something strange that there were guys with a truck behind this old lady's house (the kid's grandma) loading it up. Caught the guys and goods and later pieced together they were all robbing one another's family's houses. Police started putting it together as well as the Dad.

Comment

I hope the last words he heard were, "stop breaking the law, asshole!".
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                That's one way to ruin your Christmas.
                Its apparent that some people is this country don't believe in the Christmas spirit.
                I was always under the impression that lawlessness' was not allowed on Christmas day, kinda of like an unspoken rule. Even the hardcore heathens know this...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

That's why he struck "just before midnight on Christmas Eve." Last minute shopping.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    Its apparent that some people is this country don't believe in the Christmas spirit.
                    I was always under the impression that lawlessness' was not allowed on Christmas day, kinda of like an unspoken rule. Even the hardcore heathens know this...
                    Well, the home owner was still in a giving spirit at least.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Well, the home owner was still in a giving spirit at least.
                      And it is better to give than to receive.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        And it is better to give than to receive.
                        that is certainly true.

Comment

To be fair, he did warn him that he was armed. Most criminals don't get even that much of a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                            To be fair, he did warn him that he was armed. Most criminals don't get even that much of a warning.
                            You really don't believe that do you? Of course this is exactly what your supposed to tell the cops.

If I'm at home alone or with my wife and I hear some noise and come out and find someone in my home, you damn straight I'm coming out shooting, I'm not giving away my position or trying to have a conversation with some crack head moron in the middle of the night.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              You really don't believe that do you? Of course this is exactly what your supposed to tell the cops.

If I'm at home alone or with my wife and I hear some noise and come out and find someone in my home, you damn straight I'm coming out shooting, I'm not giving away my position or trying to have a conversation with some crack head moron in the middle of the night.
                              I would have to agree with this. Of course I gave him warning, several times.

Comment

Working...
                              X