Gunman holed up inside Latonia home starts fire, surrenders to police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunman holed up inside Latonia home starts fire, surrenders to police

COVINGTON, Ky. – The Army veteran who held area police at bay for more than 19 hours set fire to the house he had barricaded himself in and exchanged gunfire with officers before being taken into custody.

Covington police confirmed the arrest of Michael Vaughan, a military veteran who lived in the 4300 block of Michigan Avenue. At about 1 p.m. Sunday, Vaughan set his house ablaze and then opened fire on police. After sustaining a gunshot wound to his arm he surrendered to officers.

Vaughan was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for treatment.

The standoff on Michigan Avenue in the Latonia neighborhood of Covington began at 5 p.m. Saturday after police responded to requests from callers concerned about Vaughan making distressing comments on Facebook.

Specifically, Vaughan posted that he had no reason to live after his girlfriend left him.

When police arrive, Vaughan was holed up inside the home with his three children. Police SWAT teams were summoned and a long night of watching, waiting and negotiating began with the gunman who Covington Police Chief Spike Jones described as a “decorated military veteran” suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Throughout Jones expressed optimism that the situation could be resolved peacefully. Just before dawn the police chief said, "We are optimistic at this time that dialog will continue to improve.”

About 8:30 a.m. police reported the man had released his 15-, 11-, and 5-year-old children to the Newport SWAT units who were on the scene to assist.

“The kids came out in good condition,” Jones said. "We are more interested in getting the man the help he needs right now."

The children were put in the care other family members and then the waiting and negotiating began again, continuing for another four and half hours until Vaughan surrendered.

It was not immediately clear what charges Vaughan would face as a result of the standoff with the police.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

So the popo showed up because of something he wrote on facebook?

Comment

That's what I'm seeing. It's like the secret service and police coming out because a vet posted up song lyrics and then arrested him and forced him into a mental eval.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        That's what I'm seeing. It's like the secret service and police coming out because a vet posted up song lyrics and then arrested him and forced him into a mental eval.

Comment

The standoff on Michigan Avenue in the Latonia neighborhood of Covington began at 5 p.m. Saturday after police responded to requests from callers concerned about Vaughan making distressing comments on Facebook.

Specifically, Vaughan posted that he had no reason to live after his girlfriend left him.
          People called the police worried about him and asked that they check on him, I see nothing wrong here.
          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

And if they didnt show up he'd have possibly killed his kids and killed himself. People would then bitch about the cops not doing anything. He cried out for help and help showed up.

Comment

No foul here.

Comment

The article states that when the police arrived, he was inside with his kids and then the SWAT was called in. If he told them to fuck off, they should have left. You don't bust people for what they post on fucking Facebook. If they thought he was a danger to himself, you go get a court order and/or a warrant and handle it legally, not posting up SWAT and local cops in a perimeter around his house.

Want to know how to trigger a bad PTSD time? Let a veteran look out his window and see a bunch of rifles pointed in his direction.

Comment

The article states that when the police arrived, he was inside with his kids and then the SWAT was called in. If he told them to fuck off, they should have left. You don't bust people for what they post on fucking Facebook.
                  If he told them to fuck off. Did he tell them to fuck off or did he just decide to stay holed up in his house and not do anything or communicate anything?

He cried out for help and he got what he wanted. If he didnt want it, he wouldnt have posted shit on a public website to cause alarm for someone to take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                    If he told them to fuck off. Did he tell them to fuck off or did he just decide to stay holed up in his house and not do anything or communicate anything?

He cried out for help and he got what he wanted. If he didnt want it, he wouldnt have posted shit on a public website to cause alarm for someone to take notice.
                    People post shit all the time on public media. If I'm having a bad day and talk about how life isn't worth living because my fucking fridge died and my beer got hot, I do not expect the sheriff's department to show up. Why? Because it's fucking Facebook. My random posts do not constitute probable cause to summon the SWAT team.

Comment

People post shit all the time on public media. If I'm having a bad day and talk about how life isn't worth living because my fucking fridge died and my beer got hot, I do not expect the sheriff's department to show up. Why? Because it's fucking Facebook. My random posts do not constitute probable cause to summon the SWAT team.
                      So a man with a known history of PTSD posting suicidal messages on facebook shouldnt cause any alarm for anyone who cares about the man or potential harm for the kids?

How he and the police chose to handle it from there can be up for debate all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        So a man with a known history of PTSD posting suicidal messages on facebook shouldnt cause any alarm for anyone who cares about the man or potential harm for the kids?

How he and the police chose to handle it from there can be up for debate all day long.
                        If they believe there is potential harm, does the 4th amendment go out of the window? Does he surrender his God given rights because of an assumption or statement?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]"

Comment

Comment

If they believe there is potential harm, does the 4th amendment go out of the window? Does he surrender his God given rights because of an assumption or statement?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]"
                            Yup

Comment

BRB, going to log onto someone's facebook, post suicidal statements, and watch the hilarity unfold.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X