Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

254 mph 1988 twin-turbo Callaway Corvette "Sledghammer" to hit the auction block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 254 mph 1988 twin-turbo Callaway Corvette "Sledghammer" to hit the auction block

If you wanted to go faster than everyone else in 1988, then Callaway had a Corvette for you. The company called it the Sledgehammer, and it would set your mullet on fire.

While the fourth-generation Corvette remains the least lusted-after iteration of Chevrolet's fiberglass-bodied big V8 formula, Callawayoffered solutions to the '80s Vette's woeful performance. The company's solution for horsepower dilution came mostly in the form of turbo kits, suspension upgrades, and aero kits. The engineering showcase for was the Callaway Sledgehammer.

With over 898 hp and 772 lb-ft of torque available courtesy of two Turbonetics TO4B turbochargers, the Callaway Sledgehammer was able to reach 254.76 mph with John Lingenfelter behind the wheel. This was in 1988, when Rick Astley was killing the pop music charts and Saint Bugatti wasn't yet a twinkle in Volkswagen's eye.

----------

More from Road & Track

The four-door Mustang Ford will never build

Famous movie cars, illustrated

World's slowest Lamborghini Countach

----------

The Callaway Sledgehammer remains a technological marvel to this day both for its record run and its packaging. The aerodynamics of the standard Corvette were modified by Paul Deutschman to maximize airflow, reduce lift, and increase cooling to the massive intercoolers tucked neatly ahead of the Sledgehammer's custom V8. Lifting the clamshell hood reveals a NASCAR-spec GM block, running Mahle pistons, forged connecting rods, and Brodix aluminum heads.

Suspension tuning was carried out by Carroll Smith, who went so far as to relocate the lower control arms for increased high-speed stability. Despite the drastic modifications, the Callaway retained the factory leather interior, air conditioning, and sound systems, making it a docile highway cruiser capable of handling the trip from Callaway headquarters in Connecticut to Transportation Research Center's 7.5 oval in Ohio. Not too shabby, even by today's standards.

The Chevrolet Corvette Callaway Sledgehammer crosses the auction block on Friday, January 17th at Mecum's Kissimmee, Florida event. See it here.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Damn that thing is ugly.

Comment

It also has a bad replacement paint job on the front end.
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Id drive it.
        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Lol @ set your mullet on fire
          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

See I don't get how they could build something like that then, but some how struggle to do the same now and act like it is some great feat.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              See I don't get how they could build something like that then, but some how struggle to do the same now and act like it is some great feat.
              I agree. But emissions and safety and all that takes a big part of the fun away. I am sure a Callaway couldn't meet the full production emissions numbers back then.
              Also I would way rather be in a Veyron at 250 than the Vette. I had 3 C4s and one was a 96 GS. With mods I hit 170 a few times but the car didn't seem all that happy about it. Hell the ZR1s used to get their windows sucked out at like 190.

On the other hand look at regular cars. A new SEL Taurus can kick most C4s asses. LOL.

Now that being said, why does it take 1200+ HP in a Ford GT or Viper or Lambo to hit those speeds when that vette could do it with under 900?
              Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                I agree. But emissions and safety and all that takes a big part of the fun away. I am sure a Callaway couldn't meet the full production emissions numbers back then.
                Also I would way rather be in a Veyron at 250 than the Vette. I had 3 C4s and one was a 96 GS. With mods I hit 170 a few times but the car didn't seem all that happy about it. Hell the ZR1s used to get their windows sucked out at like 190.

On the other hand look at regular cars. A new SEL Taurus can kick most C4s asses. LOL.

Now that being said, why does it take 1200+ HP in a Ford GT or Viper or Lambo to hit those speeds when that vette could do it with under 900?
                Most likely CD - coefficient of drag. It's hard to say since I don't get any mags like Car & Driver that print CDs for cars.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Yeah that c4 is slippery and light.
                  ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

A 96 GS drives great at speed, you must of had a shitty example. I still think that is one of the best looking Vettes they ever put out. They also still bring really good money.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      Lol @ set your mullet on fire
                      I lol
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        A 96 GS drives great at speed, you must of had a shitty example. I still think that is one of the best looking Vettes they ever put out. They also still bring really good money.
                        What can I say, car only had 17,000 miles and was in perfect mechanical condition. Tune, exhaust, intake and Michelin Pilot tires. Granted Maui roads suck and the only place to do those runs is always windy but still, you can feel the steering get light after 160 in all my C4s. My C5 on the other hand felt like it was glued to the road at 170 as did my Cobra as did my Mark VIII.

Guess I gotta try another GS on Texas roads to see how it feels. Anyone wanna loan me one for a couple hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                          Damn that thing is ugly.
                          We will have to agree to disagree.
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

What can I say, car only had 17,000 miles and was in perfect mechanical condition. Tune, exhaust, intake and Michelin Pilot tires. Granted Maui roads suck and the only place to do those runs is always windy but still, you can feel the steering get light after 160 in all my C4s. My C5 on the other hand felt like it was glued to the road at 170 as did my Cobra as did my Mark VIII.

Guess I gotta try another GS on Texas roads to see how it feels. Anyone wanna loan me one for a couple hours?
                            I had GS#171. It got flighty above 150. Controllable sure, but it made me nervous. Every C4 I've had z51, fx3, base suspension, yadda yadda, all felt that way. I've got an 03 xkr coupe now. Much more secure at that speed. I agree with ya, c4s will do it, just will make a part of you pucker in the process.

Comment

I like it, but running over 130 in a C4 is pretty insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X