Those with elderly parents-POA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those with elderly parents-POA questions

For those with Elderly parents I have some POA (Power of Attorney) questions.

I got a full durable power of attorney and medical power of attorney of my Dad's affairs a few years back when he started showing signs of dementia.

Its now full blown with probably Alzheimer's and I have to get involved and exercise the POA.

What is the process to get the ball rolling here? I would assume I need to file the POA's with the county and then move forward to financial institutions and the like to start taking care of his affairs?

Any help or experience is appreciated.

I broke down and hired a lawyer for this stuff. Didn't want to get anything screwed up nor did I want any sort of challenges to it down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
      I broke down and hired a lawyer for this stuff. Didn't want to get anything screwed up nor did I want any sort of challenges to it down the road.
      Yea I got a lawyer to draft up all the documents and got them notarized while my Dad was still coherent awhile back. I didn't ask a lot of questions back then as I was just putting off the inevitable. I kind of thought my older brother would 'step up' and help out but that is not going to happen at this point.

Now I just need to understand the process to exercise all the documents so I can start taking charge of it all.

Man this sucks- talk about a role reversal.
      Last edited by 95DRGT; 12-19-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

If you already have the executed POA, you should just need to provide a copy of it to whomever you are dealing with on his behalf.

As a side note, if you have to sign anything on his behalf, you should sign your own name and finish with "Power of Attorney" or "attorney-in-fact for (his name)". Don't sign his name.

Comment

After a two week investigation into his affairs I'm convinced there is a special kind of hell for those that pray on the elderly.

Fucking scamming Nigerian mother fucking thieves.

Comment

What the... I hope he didn't get taken by those fuckers!

Comment

His wife (my step mom) in unbelievable amounts. I'm just numb at this point and can't believe people can do this to others and people can logically fall for it when its such a blatant scam.

Comment

Working...
              X