2013 In Closing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 In Closing.

I guess it's about time to take stock. How was your year? What did you get done? Better year than 2012?

2013 has been a pretty odd transitional year for me. I've spent the last 5 months taking stock, actually, and not of the year, but of my entire life. I guess that's what you do when you're off work for so long. My back and neck injuries finally overpowered me this year and I was forced by upper management to leave my store that I've worked at off and on for over 15 years and managed to sequential sales records since 2009. I've had 3 surgical procedures to try and get back in shape so far, with moderate at best success. Looks like I might still have 1 more to go before the year is out if they can finish fighting with Cigna about it.

It's been a spinning surreal 5 months, as I've dealt with the fact that a lifelong career is likely over, getting bills paid with no income(you don't need that short term disability insurance, Eric, what a waste of money!), bailing out across the midwest at the start for another epic road trip while I'm able(physically and monetarily), and trying to figure out where things go from here. I've been frustrated, but I've also been free, catching up and adding to my backlog of books. My companion since I've been on my own passed away suddenly, and a month later I rescued another border collie puppy that has helped me keep my sanity. She enjoys sitting in the backyard and watching the airplanes fly overhead from DFW.

I've been angry, I've been melancholy, I've been oddly indifferent to everything, and I've wondered if I wouldn't have been better off dying in that car crash. My sister pointed out that if I had I wouldn't have been able to give her a kidney, which is certainly important, but aside from that, everything I've worked for in the last 10 years has been pointless. The odd thing is that aside for the never ending pain, I'm somewhat content. She celebrated her 9th year since the transplant back in August, btw, and her health has been great.

The strange thing about being in constant pain, is that no one notices. You can mention it and they'll say "oh," empathize for a moment, and then forget about it, and I'm just as guilty of it with friends. Unless you have something visibly wrong with you, you're viewed skeptically by everyone, even in the medical field. "White guy in his 30's? He is probably just addicted to Hydrocodone and looking to score more." It reminds of when I used to have incapacitating migraines every few months(I strangely haven't had a single one since I got divorced. Imagine that). "Suck it up, you pussy" is the general attitude you will encounter. One of the things I've tried really hard to work on this year is being empathetic. I think I've done okay at it.

The meds are affecting my short term memory. It isn't shit compared to where it was even 2 or 3 years ago. I've also noticed my writing is suffering, with sometimes weird words out of place or "ing" or "ed" left off the end of something. I catch a lot of it, but I think I'm missing more of it now, too, it's like my mind just skips over it when I'm typing, and then does the same thing when I proof read.

2012 was one of the best years of my life, so that's hard to put a year like this one up against. Despite all the negatives, this year hasn't been as bad as it could have been, or one might think after reading the last couple of paragraphs. I need to find something new to be challenged at. The Mustang will probably be going bye bye in the next 6 months, but I would like to try and get 1 more trip out of it. I've got 3 left to finish the Continental 49 States. The money is problematic. I also have a new puppy to consider, and traveling the way I travel with her is out of the question. I've all but quit drinking. Gained weight from being sedentary not wanting to move, which in turn, makes my back worse.

Still absolutely love my little house, and got a lot of work done to it early in the year before everything went to shit. It's getting fleshed out now and I'm getting to button up minor details, which I like. It fits 99% of my needs perfectly, which I think is more than most people get out of their homes. The backyard ended up being a hidden gem. It was so big I was worried about buying the house because of it last year, now I wish it was even bigger. It's the first usable backyard I've owned, and I'm out here almost daily(on my laptop back here now in fact) reading, tossing a stick for the dog, and watching the minor wildlife and air traffic. It's relaxing.

I really don't have the slightest notion what 2014 is going to bring me. My available leave will be over January 14th. I was hanging out with Blake last night and he had some pretty good ideas. All in all, this was a big transitional year, and I'm still somewhere in the middle of it. On Walkabout indeed.

How was yours?

werd

Comment

I've had better, but I've had far worse as well. Overall, a good year for me and mine.

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I'm just glad to have made it another year. Although this time around I didn't wait for the new year for "resolutions". Next year I'm aiming for bigger and better things in my life; a new addition to my life too. I was stuck in the deep end for so long I thought I'd never make it out. I don't regret anything, it's part of life. I'm on the right path and I'm not looking back.
        Originally posted by talisman
        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
        Originally posted by AdamLX
        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        Because fuck you, that's why
        Originally posted by 80coupe
        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
        Originally posted by Rick Modena
        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

It was a good year, I didn't die.
          "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

This year has been a bit of a beat down and I am not sad to see it go. Got some good news here and there, got some terrible news mid year, and work has been a challenge.

I am looking forward to 2014 being a little better overall, but it's hard to complain too much about it as we came through in a far better position than many..

Comment

I can't complain, I did well financially, met the love of my life, didn't have a drop of alcohol all year, and have been back in the gym without any extended breaks. I'm still eating like a pig, and the heaviest I've ever been, but my give-a-damn is busted.

Comment

'13 was pretty damn good for me. We didn’t have any more kids, no nights in the hospital, and no major issues this year.

I got to race at Road America, so I get to scratch that off the bucket list. Hell if I had watched my money a bit closer this year, I wouldn’t have a damn thing to complain about at all.

'14 should be pretty interesting as well. As of now, I plan to go to Seebring, and that will be great. We're planning on making a family vacation out of that.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Pretty good year for me.
                  Healthy family, saved $$$, best shape of my life and eating like a freaken KING!!

Comment

It was a good year. Started it off right, by taking my old man to California for the GNRS on his birthday. That was a helluva great trip.

My gf moved in back in May and that has been really hard for me. Sharing space is just a pain in the fucking ass, especially for someone that has lived alone for ten years. Oh well, the minor improvements all over the house have been nice.

It was the first year in my career that I didn't receive a raise. That kind of stings, but hey, I'm employed and the bills are getting paid. Probably going to make a change in the not too distant future anyway.

This year I've seen a lot of friends and family have health issues. This is something I'm not used to, as I'm used to everyone just being healthy. Personally I'm very healthy and nothing hurts, so I'm blessed with that.

I noticed my dog starting to seem... older. He's 10½ now, so I guess I should expect it. Dammit.

I bought a cool little '71 Honda CB350 motorcycle to flip, but I like it so much I might just keep it for myself.

Been a pretty good year for me.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

2012 was quite possibly the worst year of my life. Losing a baby at birth is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy. And to this day I still think about my son daily and what my life would be with him in it. I know one things for certain, it most definitely would NOT be what it is right now. With that said, 2013 was actually a good year. As with all years it had its ups and downs. But I'd like to think more ups for sure. It saw me move out of one apt late in the year (Sept) into one all alone. I had a roommate before. And as much fun as it was to have a roommate, he was very irrelevant to important things like the date. What I mean is that whenever a bill came due, he NEVER had the money ready. I always had to front it for him till he got it to me. Sometimes a week later. To me, that's unacceptable.

As 2013 ends I find myself pretty content. I have my own place. I have a car. I have a good job. And I'm going to school. Which is a never ending story in and of itself. But I'll finish eventually. Next year I will be 35. That's a big milestone to me. I sometimes can't believe that I've gotten this old without a child, at least physically.

Anyways, you gentleman have a very Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa (sp?), Chanukah, Festivus, whatever. Be safe. And may your 2014 be a good one! Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        The strange thing about being in constant pain, is that no one notices. You can mention it and they'll say "oh," empathize for a moment, and then forget about it, and I'm just as guilty of it with friends. Unless you have something visibly wrong with you, you're viewed skeptically by everyone, even in the medical field. "White guy in his 30's? He is probably just addicted to Hydrocodone and looking to score more."
                        I know that feeling. I've had the medical pros look at me like I am a junkie, then the results of my CT come in and suddenly they are throwing morphine at me.

I spent most of my year trying to get my business off the ground and Obammy's economics haven't exactly been helping. I've had no luck with women or family. Good points are that I didn't go in the hospital and I am feeling great. I got to scuba dive at a kick ass lake in Arkansas, had a great vacation, and finally got a car that I am happy with. Overall, I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
                          2012 was quite possibly the worst year of my life. Losing a baby at birth is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy.
                          I had no idea that happened. I'm very sorry to hear that and I will keep you in my thoughts. Very strong of you to keep plugging away, keep on man.
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                            Pretty good year for me.
                            Healthy family, saved $$$, best shape of my life and eating like a freaken KING!!
                            I think that I'm now as heavy as or heavier than you are now, though not at quite the same composition.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              The meds are affecting my short term memory. It isn't shit compared to where it was even 2 or 3 years ago. I've also noticed my writing is suffering, with sometimes weird words out of place or "ing" or "ed" left off the end of something. I catch a lot of it, but I think I'm missing more of it now, too, it's like my mind just skips over it when I'm typing, and then does the same thing when I proof read.

... I've got 3 left to finish the Continental 49 States. ...
                              Interesting.

Mine wasn't bad, but they've all run together since I started working. Without the breaks in school I have trouble differentiating the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X