Dad: Son, 5, issued suspension for making 'gun gesture' with hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad: Son, 5, issued suspension for making 'gun gesture' with hand

David Hendrix was outraged to learn that his son, 5, was issued a suspension from school for making a gun gesture with his hand. "He was playing army on the playground," Hendrix told WBTV. "I just felt

GASTON COUNTY, NC (WBTV) -
    David Hendrix was outraged to learn that his son, 5, was issued a suspension from school for making a gun gesture with his hand.

"He was playing army on the playground," Hendrix told WBTV. "I just felt like the punishment was way too severe."

Hendrix's son is in kindergarten at Pinewood Elementary School in Gaston County. The boy was issued a one day in-school suspension, according to Hendrix.

Looking to resolve the issue, Hendrix told WBTV that he met with the school principal to plead his case. At first, the school didn't budge, according to Hendrix. But Hendrix wasn't giving up.

"I requested an immediate meeting that night with him myself and the school board, at their pleasure, anytime that night. And at that point they decided it was not worth the effort, not worth the headache and dropped everything right then and there," Hendrix said.

WBTV made a dozen calls to Gaston County Schools Thursday. No one returned our calls.

In the Pinewood Elementary School handbook, there is no mention of punishment for making a ‘gun gesture' with your hand.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I could think of a hand gesture the dad should make to the principal...

Comment

Suspend my kid for a gun hand gesture? We are gonna go have a daddy & daughter range day.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I'm so glad my daughter goes to the school she does. Hell, one of the old women who works in the office threatened to shoot their computer one day, they've had toy guns at school plays/functions and they've made the hand gesture during a play. Maybe some kids still stand a chance.

Comment

Is this a repost or are there way too many examples of schools over reacting to kids playing?

Comment

In school suspension is such bullshit.
            Last edited by YALE; 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I used to love ICS. Work without all the bullshit filler, quiet, finish 3 days of work in 4 hours, then read for the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                Is this a repost or are there way too many examples of schools over reacting to kids playing?
                No it is just an ongoing pussification of our kids.

Some kid just got suspended for three days last week for pretiending he was shooting a bow and arrow while playing cowboys and Indians.... excuse me, native americans. Kid didn't have any form of a boz and wasn't even holding a pencil (like we did as kids) to simulate an arrow. He just made the hand gesture and was suspended.

I miss America. Wish it would come back but it seems to have left and taken common sense with it.
                Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

This country is going down hill fast, glad I don't have kids. Playing WAR was my favorite game as a kid and kept us outside being active. My weapon of choice was a homemade Lego Uzi with spare mags.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                    I'm sure it's real... I've had similar issues with my son's school since he was in Kinder, he's 7 now. They really push the zero tolerance. We got a letter one day about how he "stabbed" another kid with a pencil. When he would describe what happened, it seemed like he was carrying a pencil in his pocket and another kid bumped into him and the tip scratched his arm. We got ice cream that evening.

I've already had the "you can't draw guns or pretend to shoot guns" with him and I can recall him looking at me like a confused puppy dog.

Comment

Follow the money. I have heard tell that in order for schools to receive federal funding for some programs they had to accept the zero tolerance policies and follow them. I don't know if that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                        This country is going down hill fast, glad I don't have kids. Playing WAR was my favorite game as a kid and kept us outside being active. My weapon of choice was a homemade Lego Uzi with spare mags.
                        I had a kickass blue plastic m16 that had the mussle/sight broken off but still made machine gun sound when the trigger was pulled. War was awesome. Sad kids today just know it on a screen and not running wild in their neighborhood.

My son seemed to complain about some of the others at school. I always told him, if he felt the need, throw down with em. He was always afraid of getting kicked out. I told him there are times when you have to stand for your values. If you take their $hit you have to live with it.
                        Last edited by TexasT; 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM.
                        Rich

Comment

Working...
                        X