Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No thread about Ocean Full of Bowling Balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No thread about Ocean Full of Bowling Balls?

Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned anything on this site yet...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/28/5...balls-pdf-leak

Three unpublished works by J.D, Salinger, including The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls, have been leaked online after showing up in an eBay auction. Birthday Boy, Paula, and the aforementioned Ocean are three short stories that form part of a larger collection of Salinger works that was never published. The trio of stories was uploaded in a PDF file that appears to have been scanned from an unauthorized book simply titled Three Stories, before the leak was detailed on Reddit. Although the book has a barcode and ISBN, the code leads nowhere.

The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls is a much sought-after tale as it relates with characters that appear in Salinger's most famous novel, The Catcher in the Rye. Until now, it's only been available to be read under supervision at Princeton University's Firestone Library. The two other stories can also be found in University of Texas’ Ransom Center, and have been confirmed as genuine. Speaking with BuzzFeed, Salinger expert Kenneth Slawenski confirms the authenticity of the leaked stories. "While I do quibble with the ethics (or lack of ethics) in posting the Salinger stories," notes the scholar, "they look to be true transcripts of the originals and match my own copies."

Although the origin of the three stories is unclear, the book first surfaced in a British eBay listing. Sold by an eBay member from Brentford in London, the book sold for just £67.50 (roughly $110) at auction. Whoever bought it then proceeded to scan and upload its contents to the members-only torrent site what.CD.

The importance of this leak can't be overstated; Salinger was a notoriously private man, and although his family will release some of his unpublished works starting in 2015, it's thought that the stories leaked today did not figure in the Salinger estate's plans. Instead, they were scheduled to be published no earlier than 2051, in respect of Salinger's will, which ordered they remain hidden away until 50 years after his death.

It's likely we'll hear more about how and why the bootleg book came to be in the possession of a Londoner. The original eBay auction lists a full London address under the item's location, which, if genuine, could lead to the seller being questioned on the book's origin. The seller will also have the address that he sent the book to, possibly leading law enforcement to whoever scanned and uploaded the stories.

I'm hoping this leads to a sequel to Shoeless Joe.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Well, I'm glad I won't have to wait until 2051 to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Well, I'm glad I won't have to wait until 2051 to read them.
        He died on January 27, 2010.

From the Wiki on "The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls"
        Per the terms of Salinger's donation of the manuscript to Princeton University, it cannot be published until 50 years after his death; thus, the earliest it can be published is January 27, 2060

Comment

Ah, I misread the 2051 bit.

Comment

He's dead. Release them all.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              He's dead. Release them all.
              ala tupac!

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Ah, I misread the 2051 bit.
                It's actually a bit confusing. Per his written will, certain pieces are not to be released until 2051. However, part of the deal he made with Princeton was that his "3 Stories" could not be published until 50 years after his death.

Comment

Working...
                X