City to evict woman for living "off the grid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City to evict woman for living "off the grid"

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - It was just a matter of time before the City of Cape Coral caught up with her. We first told you about Robin Speronis last month... and her alternative lifestyle, called Living Off the Grid. She lives without running water or electricity -- by choice. But her off-the-grid home is now on the radar of Cape Coral code enforcement.

"I'm going to bring this to the attention of anyone who will listen until justice is served," Robin Speronis tells 4 In Your Corner's Liza Fernandez as both sit outside her home.

And Speronis says -- what the City of Cape Coral did the day after the story about her "Off the Grid" lifestyle aired in November is -- unjust.

"A code enforcement officer came, knocked on the door then posts a placard that says uninhabitable property, do not enter," says Robin as she reads the sign.

A Cape Coral code enforcement officer posted a "notice to vacate" one day after our story aired.

"Putting a woman who lives by herself, who is a widow, out on the street without any due process of law is unfathomable," says the outgraged homeowner.

The notice cites international property maintenance code and states the property is unsafe to be lived in, but Robin wonders how code enforcement would know without ever having been inside the home.

The city code compliance manager tells 4 In Your Corner he tagged the home because it doesn't have running water or electrcity, although neither modern comfort is mentioned as a requirement in the code cited by the city on the notice.

While Robin won't say whether she's been living in the home since the notice was posted, she does say the city is overreaching and threatening to take away her home -- which she owns free and clear with taxes up to date.

"Where is the justice? Why did they choose me," she asks. "…because I was exercising my First Amendment rights of free speech in discussing living off the grid."

A local attorney has since agreed to take on Robin's case for free. And the city says if she can prove she can sustain herself and her home without water or electricty both parties might be able to come to a solution.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Their code enforcement must be the farm team for the city of Dallas.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Does she have a outhouse in the backyard? Wonder what kind of candles she uses?

Comment

A local attorney has since agreed to take on Robin's case for free. And the city says if she can prove she can sustain herself and her home without water or electricty both parties might be able to come to a solution.
        Uhhhhhhhhh. Didn't she already do this?

Comment

This is why you don't go on a national TV show to show off your lack of government dependence. Government makes an example out of you. It's not okay to not need government.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Code enforcement is shocked she is not dead yet since there is no power or running water. So the logical step is to take away her roof. That might show her how poor her choice to live off the grid is. If she dies then that proves their point.

Kind of like, if they drowned, they weren't a witch.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              This is why you don't go on a national TV show to show off your lack of government dependence. Government makes an example out of you. It's not okay to not need government.
              Exactly. A tv interview is not very "off the grid"

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                Uhhhhhhhhh. Didn't she already do this?
                If she sues them, the city has the burden of proof (or disprove). But it is absolutely insane that it is even an issue.

Comment

I may be able to see it if she was living in squalor but it doesn't sound like the case. Fucking bullshit for the city to be trying this.

Comment

I think she buries her poop in the neighbors yard.

Comment

If you watch the video of the news report, she's using lanterns for light, has a small fridge hooked up to propane like camping and has a solar shower to wash with
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

City to evict woman for living "off the grid"

If that's the case then every homeless person in the City should be getting the same treatment. "Excuse me, sir, but that cardboard box doesn't look up to code. You're going to have to throw that away and find something else to sleep in".

Comment

Working...
                        X