Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cant stand liars that sell known bad parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant stand liars that sell known bad parts.

I really hate liars. Poor kid with a 2004 GT had serious rear end issues. Blew the gears and destroyed the pumpkin. I told him let me find him an axle and since I know lots of people in the Mustang world I am sure I can find him a solid replacement for $400ish. Well he bought one off Craigslist that was supposed to be great for $250. I open the cover and tell him I am not real happy with the gear wear. No gouges in the teeth but across the entire width of the gears teeth its shiney telling me something aint set right. He wants me to install it anyway. I slap it in and as I am bolting the drive shaft up I see a solid 1/8" play in the pinion and the gear oil just pouring out of the pinion. Axle must have been driven hard through many axle hops because the pumpkin is slightly deformed around the pinion. He calls the guy he bought it from and the dude tells him that I am trying to rip him off and don't know what I am doing. He refuses to refund the kid and insists the rear was perfect. Now the kid is out my $250 labor bill, $250 for the axle and $50 in fluid and friction modifier and with this axle the car is undriveable. Wish he would have just let me source him an axle. Woulda been a hundred more or so but it would work. Now its gonna cost him another $600.
    I told him I would help him out and redo another one for even less (its Christmas and the kids a student) but to please let me locate him one that is actually good.

So if anyone knows of or has a solid 8.8 axle already setup could you please let me know and PM me a price. Kid needs the car for school and the family isn't wealthy but do a lot for the community and are just really nice people.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Sucks for him, but why would anyone look for retribution from a Craigslist purchase? You get fucked or you don't. People suck, but that's the chance you take by willingly conducting business there.

Comment

Ill take a look monday.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Dude, just don't let people bring in parts, unless they're new in the box. Then maybe just grease 'em for an extra hour of labor.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I typicly don't let people bring in parts. Been a dead week though and he showed up today out of the blue with the axle. I got bills to pay so I allowed it even though I didn't trust the axle and tried to talk him out of it.
          He screwed up and knows it but we all make mistakes. Hes a good kid though and trying to make a better life for himself and I am all for helping people that try to help themselves. I have a good rep and worked hard for it even though sometimes it takes food off my table.
          It only takes me an hour to swap an axle anyway so its not like I am hurting to give him a break on labor to redo it.

And Baron, thanks for checking. I really appreciate the help. If it was for me I would just suck it up but I am a little selfish because I feel good when I can help people out of a tight spot. I sleep well on those nights.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Why not just build the one that was in the car?

Comment

A learning experience for the boy
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

If I knew for a fact that the axle was screwed, I would not have installed it, and if for some slim reason he talked me into actually installing it, I would not feel bad or sorry for him afterwards. It sounds like two people made a mistake here.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                    Gears exploded, pinion cracked the case.
                    Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    If I knew for a fact that the axle was screwed, I would not have installed it, and if for some slim reason he talked me into actually installing it, I would not feel bad or sorry for him afterwards. It sounds like two people made a mistake here.

Stevo
                    I take partial blame in this. I knew that gear teeth shouldn't have wear marks the entire width but they looked fine otherwise with no scaring. I have no idea why I didn't think to grab the pinion on the outside and wiggle test it. That's on me. Kid was so excited and kept saying "The guy I bought it from swears its perfect and ready to go" so I just went with it even though I told him 4 times that I wasn't 100% on that axle.
                    Seems like every time I break my own rules because I want to help someone it always bites me n the ass. This does not really effect me other than the fact I feel bad for the kid and his situation. Don't hurt me financially, don't leave me without a car or anything like that but I cant stand to see people get screwed over.
                    Figured the least I could do is try and find him an axle that was serviceable.

Comment

in this business it seems like no good deed goes unpunished so dont break your own rules because it always bites you

Comment

He got fucked either way if he paid that much for a complete 8.8

Comment

Sounds like you or the kid should out this part peddler for selling bad parts and not making good even after proven bad still claiming it was good.
                          Good for you for a good Christmas deed. Maybe it'll come back around for ya.
                          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by blackedv View Post
                            in this business it seems like no good deed goes unpunished so dont break your own rules because it always bites you
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasT View Post
                              Sounds like you or the kid should out this part peddler for selling bad parts and not making good even after proven bad still claiming it was good.
                              Good for you for a good Christmas deed. Maybe it'll come back around for ya.
                              Well he broke all the cardinal rules when he bought it. Never got a number. He does have his address though and I just asked him to text it to me. Pretty sure it is going to be someone in Waco.

Comment

Working...
                              X