Anyone rode Amtrak for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone rode Amtrak for fun?

I've ridden the Texas State Railroad, and other old rails like that for short hops, but has anyone took a trip on Amtrak just for fun? Like for overnight where you dined and stayed in a sleeper car?

My parents did and said they would NEVER do that again. I think they went from Denver to Chicago.

Comment

I went from Jackson, MS to Chicago back in 1991. It wasn't a bad experience but I don't exactly recall it being fun. Maybe I'd think differently if I were going through a part of the country worth looking at.

Comment

i have a buddy who spent about 6 or 700 hundred dollars on amtrak tickets and he got to see about 15 of the biggest cities on the west coast and as far east as Chicago. took about a month and brought his bike along with him. got to see more than some will ever see for cheap

Comment

I don't know, I'd have to see the kind of cars available. Some of the older Vista cars that ran the rails in the 50's-60's were pretty damn badass. But to my knowledge Amtrak is communist since the government got control. I have seen most of Europe from a train, but those are pretty badass trains. And I always made sure I was in the rich people area, none of the plebeian shit for me.

edit: here are some of the cars I've been in before.

This is a 1939 Budd Lounge Observation car. The second is taken from a 1947 Budd Dome Lounge car.

Being pulled by a 1951 EMD F9PH Locomotive. In my opinion one of the most beautiful engines there ever was. I'm sure some of the train guys will pop in here and correct me if I'm wrong. For some reason I can't find any better pictures of the engine.

Unfortunately these types of cars and nostalgia doesn't really run the rails anymore, which is a shame. This is the type of train I would want to ride.
          Last edited by CJ; 12-10-2013, 09:38 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

what killer photo.
            Props man.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              edit: here are some of the cars I've been in before.

This is a 1939 Budd Lounge Observation car. The second is taken from a 1947 Budd Dome Lounge car.

My family did this once when I was a kid, we went from San Antonio to Dallas, and we spent most of the time in one of the observation cars like the one posted above. It was the MOST boring time I can ever remember because there's almost nothing to see in Texas. The first hour or so was cool but after that the boredom set in because you stop in nearly every little town on the way. It took 10-12 hours from what I remember. We left at 9AM and didn't get Dallas till after dinner time. I still remember the microwaved food they served on the train.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
              He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
              Originally posted by Denny
              What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
              FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Man fuck a bunch of trains. I've worked on, rode, and driven enough trains to last 2 lifetimes. I hate fucking trains, although the steam engine was pretty cool to learn to run.
                "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  My family did this once when I was a kid, we went from San Antonio to Dallas, and we spent most of the time in one of the observation cars like the one posted above. It was the MOST boring time I can ever remember because there's almost nothing to see in Texas. The first hour or so was cool but after that the boredom set in because you stop in nearly every little town on the way. It took 10-12 hours from what I remember. We left at 9AM and didn't get Dallas till after dinner time. I still remember the microwaved food they served on the train.
                  I did that for my 4th birthday, but we went from Gainesville to Dallas or Fort Worth. I had fun, but I hated stopping. Screw those people! They didn't get on at the first stop, and they're not going to fuck up my train ride!
                  Originally posted by Buzzo
                  Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Just be sure to ask for the cowskin car and you should be fine.

Comment

Back in the 90's my family took Amtrak from Denver to whatever stop was closest to Moab, UT. The trip took around 7 hours, but it wasn't bad, plenty of scenery on that route, or you could visit the restaraunt/bar car.

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
                        I've worked on, rode, and driven enough trains to last 2 lifetimes.

Damn nigga, how many private planes do you own?

I've always wanted to do a cross country train ride. Thought about doing a jaunt down to Austin for the hell of it.

Comment

I knew some folks that decided to take the train to san antonio for the weekend, it took something like 13 hours to get there. They vowed never to get on a train ever again, and bought some expensive plane tickets home.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If their schedule worked better I'd take it from Temple to Fort Worth at least once a week. Atleast they fixed their website where it doesn't make you go through Chicago to get anywhere first.

Comment

Several years ago I took Amtrak up to the St. Louis area. It was a 24hr trip, and I didn't like it. it actually sucked.

No reserve seating, its first come first served. Make sure you don't get up, move your meat, lose your seat. Bar car and the dining car were both $$$$$! While the observation car was cool, the areas the train went through were FAR from scenic. It was just a tour of all the slums from here to St. Louis. We won't even go into the type of people that were on there.

All that said, if I needed to go to Austin, OK city, somewhere close, I might consider it. It would be cheap as long as you don't need a car upon arrival. Don't do it for the "cool" factor, you'll likely be dissappointed. Take the bus, it's faster, and probably more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X