Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressures, depths, and rescues - follow me down this crazy underwater rabbit hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressures, depths, and rescues - follow me down this crazy underwater rabbit hole

You know how you read one thing, which links to another, which makes you wiki something, which leads to a video, and the next thing you know you haven't showered in three days, the mail is piling up, and the dogs are looking at you funny?

Yeah, that...

Started here:

A Nigerian cook has survived after spending almost three days trapped in an air bubble under a sunken ship.

He was in the ship 100 ft underwater in a pitch black room. For three days. Then was rescued when divers were recovering bodies.

Out in the ocean, a search and rescue team had been sent to locate the remains of the men. They swiftly found ten of the 11 bodies, and were not expecting to find anything more.

“Then I heard a sound like anchor dropping again,” Mr Okene said. “I also heard sound of paddling and divers’ craft moving around the boat. I heard a hammering sound from afar.”

Wadding through the room, he found more tools, including a hammer. He began to strip the wall of the cabin until he got to the steel body.

“I started using the hammer to hit the wall to attract the divers. I heard them moving about. They were far away from where I was. I did that for some minutes and stopped. After a while, the sound died.”

Mr Okene thought that he would not be discovered, but the rescuers returned and the freezing cook jumped into the water, swimming through the ship to get the attention of the diver.

“I touched his head and he was shocked. He was searching and I just saw the light, so I jumped into the water. As he was shocked, he stretched out his hands.”

Mr Okene said he heard voices from the diver’s speaker shouting: “There is a survivor, he is alive.”

Paul McDonald, a member of the rescue crew, said: “All on board could not believe how cool he was when being rescued.
    He thought he had only been trapped for 12 hours but it had really been over two days. Having been under 3 ATM pressure for nearly three days he spent two days in a decompression chamber.

Then I found out there's video of the underwater rescue. Crazy.

So, that led to some reading about decompression and cool stuff people have done at depth and it brought me to info on simulated dives (in compression chambers) done at Duke.

They did a 2,250 ft simulated dive (over 68 ATM). It took 43 days to decompress from that (2-3 ft/hr at some points).

And that brought me to the grand finale.

The Byford Dolphin.

On 5 November 1983 at 4:00 a.m., while drilling in the Frigg gas field in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, four divers were in a decompression chamber system attached by a trunk (a short passage) to a diving bell on the rig, being assisted by two dive tenders.[5] The four divers were:

Edwin Coward (British, 35 years old)
    Roy Lucas (British, 38 years old)
    Bjørn Giæver Bergersen (Norwegian, 29 years old)
    Truls Hellevik (Norwegian, 34 years old)[9]

One diver was about to close the door between the chamber system and the trunk when the chamber explosively decompressed from a pressure of nine atmospheres to one atmosphere in a fraction of a second. One of the tenders, 32-year-old William Crammond of Great Britain, and all four of the divers were killed instantly; the other tender (named Saunders) was severely injured.
    All of which led to this quite startling shit:

Divers D1, D2, and D3 were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined D4, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine, were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig's derrick, 10 metres (30 ft) directly above the chambers. The deaths of all four divers were most likely instantaneous.

Medical investigations were carried out on the four divers' remains. The most conspicuous finding of the autopsy was large amounts of fat in large arteries and veins and in the cardiac chambers, as well as intravascular fat in organs, especially the liver.[5] This fat was unlikely to be embolic, but must have "dropped out" of the blood in situ.[5] It is suggested the boiling of the blood denatured the lipoprotein complexes, rendering the lipids insoluble.[5]

The rigor mortis was unusually strong.[5] The hypostases (accumulations of blood in internal organs) were light red, and in two cases, there were numerous hemorrhages in the livers. All the organs showed large amounts of gas in the blood vessels, and scattered hemorrhages were found in soft tissues. One of the divers had a large sub-conjunctival bulla (a blister in the tissue of the eye).[5]

And there you have it.

Explosive decompression blows. Pun intended.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM.

I had no idea that being inside of the ship would require decompression. That is pretty damn wild.
    Last edited by Sean88gt; 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

"The deaths of all four divers were most likely instantaneous."

You think?
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I remember reading a story in Reader's Digest as a kid about an underwater welder that got his arm sucked into an open port hole in a ship he was working on. He was only 20 or so feet down, but it made his arm swell up like a balloon, and basically ruined it.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
            "The deaths of all four divers were most likely instantaneous."

You think?
            I wouldn't want to be the one to prove or disprove the theory.

Blood boiling. That's gotta suck badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              I had idea that being inside of the ship would require decompression. That is pretty damn wild.
              Yeah, he was under 4x as much pressure as he would be standing on the deck of the rescue boat. I'm sure being car guys, most people here know that at the surface you're at 1 ATM (atmosphere or 14.7 psi). For every 33' of salt water, you're under another ATM. So at 100', you're under 3 ATM of water, plus 1 ATM at the surface, or 4 ATM of absolute pressure.

There is a pretty decent explanation and hypotheses on this link:
              Being buried alive is usually near the top of any worst-ways-to-die list. But how about being buried alive 100 feet below the ocean surface in a tiny...

For anyone that is more interested in the body's limits, google "freediving." These people go hundreds of feet deep WITHOUT AN AIR SOURCE (think about the last time you tried to sit at the bottom of a pool). Their dives and ascents defy what you're taught as a scuba diver as far as depths, never holding your breath underwater, ascent rates, etc..

Comment

Added a "no" to that. I must have been mid push on the shitter and blanked out.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                  Yeah, he was under 4x as much pressure as he would be standing on the deck of the rescue boat. I'm sure being car guys, most people here know that at the surface you're at 1 ATM (atmosphere or 14.7 psi). For every 33' of salt water, you're under another ATM. So at 100', you're under 3 ATM of water, plus 1 ATM at the surface, or 4 ATM of absolute pressure.

There is a pretty decent explanation and hypotheses on this link:
                  Being buried alive is usually near the top of any worst-ways-to-die list. But how about being buried alive 100 feet below the ocean surface in a tiny...

For anyone that is more interested in the body's limits, google "freediving." These people go hundreds of feet deep WITHOUT AN AIR SOURCE (think about the last time you tried to sit at the bottom of a pool). Their dives and ascents defy what you're taught as a scuba diver as far as depths, never holding your breath underwater, ascent rates, etc..
                  60 min did a special on that. Guy dropped 400 feet, said that his lungs were the size of watermelons at surface, but compressed to the size of oranges at that depth. His brain effectively shut off as well.

Comment

Yeah, I believe I saw that one as well (and just saw it replayed a couple days ago). Guy's world record freedive was DQ'd because he wasn't with it enough to do his post-dive checkout stuff in the correct order.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjC7DiktkU[/ame]

/hijack

Glad this guy made it out alive. Recovering bodies of drowning victims pretty much sucks.

Comment

Glad this guy made it out alive. Recovering bodies of drowning victims pretty much sucks.
                      Rescue diver?
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        Rescue diver?
                        More often than not it ends up being a "recovery," rather than a "rescue," but yes. At least there is visibility where they are. We just bump into the bodies.

Comment

That is some horrifying shit.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

More often than not it ends up being a "recovery," rather than a "rescue," but yes. At least there is visibility where they are. We just bump into the bodies.
                            I never did get my Rescue cert, but did my nav courses in less than stellar visibility. It was surprise enough running into a monster catfish from out of the "fog". I can only imagine stumbling into a body.
                            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              That is some horrifying shit.
                              You hit it on the head. I honestly have no idea how he stays so calm. Maybe he was just already at ease with the fact that he thought he was going to die down there. At the very least I thought he'd freak when they put the full facemask on him and put him underwater. Luckily they dive with the good stuff, I'm inclined to believe most people would just spit a regulator out of their mouth when they start freaking out.

Comment

Working...
                              X