$500-$10,000 tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500-$10,000 tips?

In today’s day and age, generosity isn’t always heralded or highlighted, but some inspirational stories of late show that goodness and kindness are still alive and well.

Take, for instance, the “TipsForJesus” movement, an anonymous individual — or a group of individuals — who continuously leave massive tips at pubs, restaurants and other establishments.

Tips For Jesus: Mystery Tippers Are Spanning the Country Leaving Massive Sums of Money in Gods Name
    Credit: TipsForJesus on Instagram
    An Instagram account with the username “TipsForJesus” is continuously documenting these escapades, including images of receipts from each good deed and some of the elated faces of individuals receiving these gifts.

While those behind the tip giving effort remain a mystery, a mission statement is present on the aforementioned Instagram account: “Doing the Lord’s work, one tip at a time.”

Tips For Jesus: Mystery Tippers Are Spanning the Country Leaving Massive Sums of Money in Gods Name
    Gawker explained that this individual or group has been able to fly under the radar so far over the past few months, leaving tips that range from $500 to $10,000. Adding up receipts, the outlet reported that more than $54,000 has been doled out so far.

On the signature line of many receipts, the words “Tip For Jesus” are often written or are stamped somewhere on the receipt. Numerous outlets, including Eater, noted that the individual or individuals behind the project might be college football fans, as the tips tend to line up with some recent college games.

Those behind the TipsForJesus movement have appeared, as the Associated Press reported, in Utah, Chicago, San Francisco and Hollywood.

On Oct. 19, a group of three men who said they were from California, went to Legends, a pub in Notre Dame, Ind., and left a $5,000 tip. They were purportedly in town for the game between Notre Dame and the University of Southern California.

After the game, the men returned and, after a few more drinks, left another $5,000 tip.

The lump sums were reportedly flagged as possible fraud and are being investigated by the bank, though, and the bartenders have reportedly not yet received the money left for them.

The individuals behind TipsForJesus posted what seems to be a credit card statement proving that the bill was indeed paid and that the two $5,000 tips are legitimate.

In a separate incident, bartenders at Alleged, a pub in Ogden, Utah, received a $1,000 tip from a man described as young and stylish; he, too, came in with some friends.

Again, it remains unclear who’s behind TipsForJesus or whether the movement will continue. Regardless, the generosity has captured attention from mainstream media and the general public alike.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Dumbasses, why would you deposit the cash?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      what cash?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

exactly, now the irs is going to take a very hard look at your coming taxes as well.

Comment

They just don't make mattresses like they used to...
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

It was on a credit card and I highly doubt the restaurant had 5k in the drawer to give the server the tip in cash and probably had to cut them a check.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              what cash?
              this
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Why do you need Jesus to be generous?
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                  Why do you need Jesus to be generous?
                  Because Allah is a fucking cheapskate.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Good for them. Historically, Christians are worse tippers than minorities. FUCK working the church crowd shift
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Good for them. Historically, Christians are worse tippers than minorities. FUCK working the church crowd shift
                      You mean people can't pay their bills with prayer cards and scripture passages??

I delivered pizzas before I waited tables. Churches would order 15-20 larges and not tip a damned penny on those either. Fucking cheapskates.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        You mean people can't pay their bills with prayer cards and scripture passages??
                        I know, right? And for some odd reason, they really don't appreciate the humor when you tithe with prayer cards and scripture passages either.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post

I delivered pizzas before I waited tables. Churches would order 15-20 larges and not tip a damned penny on those either. Fucking cheapskates.
                          I know, right? And for some odd reason, they really don't appreciate the humor when you tithe with prayer cards and scripture passages either.
                          This is for the church, is there anything you can do to help with the price?
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            This is for the church, is there anything you can do to help with the price?
                            I get that 4-5 times a week. Just because you are not for profit, doesn't mean I am. I'd prefer just to not deal with them at all.

Comment

I get that 4-5 times a week. Just because you are not for profit, doesn't mean I am. I'd prefer just to not deal with them at all.
                              I get it sometimes too.

Comment

Working...
                              X