X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buy 'em while you can.

Going to run on the markets-

Judge orders cool-down at Calif. hot sauce factory

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge has given a dose of cold water to Sriracha, ruling Tuesday that the factory that manufactures the trendy hot sauce must partially shut down after neighbors complained of the spicy smells it was producing.

Judge Robert H. O'Brien found in favor of the city of Irwindale where Sriracha recently relocated, saying sauce maker Huy Fong Foods must stop any operations that could be causing the odors and make changes to mitigate them.

O'Brien's injunction, given in response to a lawsuit filed by the city on Oct. 21, does not specify what types of actions are required or force the factory to shut down altogether, the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/17SSD2h) reported.

Huy Fong Foods did not immediately respond to requests for comment from the Times or The Associated Press.

The company had previously argued that there is no reason to close the plant now because harvest season and subsequent grinding of red-hot Jalapeno peppers, the sauce's key ingredient, has passed. That suggests that the injunction may not have a major immediate effect on the company's production or the nation's hot sauce supply as Huy Fong keeps up its year-round mixing and bottling.

The judge acknowledged there was a "lack of credible evidence" linking locals' complaints of breathing trouble and watering eyes to the factory. But he said the odor that could be "reasonably inferred to be emanating from the facility" is, for residents, "extremely annoying, irritating and offensive to the senses warranting consideration as a public nuisance."

Irwindale officials commended the decision.

"We believe it's a strong ruling that acknowledges and is reflective of the concerns that the community has raised about the health impacts of the odor," City Attorney Fred Galante said.

The case could still go to trial, but Galante said the city would like to see a settlement outside court, and does not want to shut down Sriracha altogether.

"We're going to try to keep having a conversation with Huy Fong," Galante said, and hopes to find a collaborative way to "make sure the odor problems are addressed."
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

cock blocked
    WRX

Comment

Great comment:

MedicdeOCHO 13 minutes ago

Well I just found the perfect "Breaking Bad" Meth Lab spot...Under the California Siraracha plant...Meth with kick!
      Stevo
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
        cock blocked

Comment

"it's just the smells"

Comment

"lack of credible evidence"

And yet the judge shuts down (partially) the private company.

In cases like this, if the conclusion is that it is found unwarranted, the JUDGE needs top be sued for the damages.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              "it's just the smells"
              Haha, nice! RS for prez.
              Ded

Comment

I think I have 3 bottles, should last me a month or so.

Comment

Wonder if Sriracha will move to Denton, now?
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Looks like they are moving forward. Hoard your Rooster sauce!

Sriracha Sauce Shortage May Last Through January After Health Ruling
                    Dec. 12, 2013
                    By SUSANNA KIM

Is a hot sauce shortage looming? The California maker of Sriracha, already under fire for odors from its plant, has been told it must wait 30 days until it can ship its popular hot sauce to distributors, according to the California Department of Public Health.

As a result, sauce suppliers will not be able to restock until mid-January, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Last month, a judge ruled the Huy Fong Foods factory in Irwindale must stop its chili pepper crushing operations that have reportedly caused odors and led to some community complaints.

Previously a niche product found in Asian restaurants and grocery stores, Sriracha sauce has skyrocketed into the national media headlines in part due to Irwindale's lawsuit against the company. Subway sandwich restaurant chain introduced Subway Sriracha Chicken Melt this year. Earlier, Trader Joe's released "Trader Joe's Sriracha Sauce" with a dragon instead of the company's trademark rooster on the plastic bottle.

The California Department of Public Health said Huy Fong Foods' three sauces, Sriracha, Chili Garlic and Sambal Oelek, must be held for at least 30 days before they can be shipped to food distributors and wholesalers for "effective treatment of microorganisms," the Associated Press reported.

The Department of Public Health didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Huy Fong Foods is prominently in the public spotlight and both customers will be watching closely to see how they respond, said Chris Malone, co-author of The HUMAN Brand: How We Relate to People, Products & Companies.

"Their words and actions will reveal a lot about who they are and what they care about, which greatly impacts customer loyalty and public opinion," Malone said.

Read More: Sriracha Maker Says Calif. Put Hold on Its Sauces

Huy Fong Foods CEO David Tran has remained mostly out of the spotlight, but Malone said the recent media attention is a "golden opportunity for him to show that Huy Fong places the best interests of its customers and community ahead of its own short-term profits."

On Nov. 8, Tran issued a one-page statement defending his company and its production in light of Irwindale's legal complaint.

"After the odor complaints from last year, I believed the City of Irwindale acted severely toward us without a real investigation into the matter," Tran wrote. "I felt that the city just took action without any real reason, which gave me an odd feeling."

Tran signed his statement: David D. Tran, CEO

p.s. we don't make tear gas here.

Malone said the lost sales from the 30 day hold on product shipments will eventually pass, but the memory of how the company handled its recent challenges will last "for years or perhaps even decades."

Fans of the chili pepper-based hot sauce have already reacted to a feared shortage.

"We have already received more than 30 angry phone calls today," Damon Chu of Asian food supplier Giant Union told the Los Angeles Times. "It drives me crazy because this is the first time we have been in this situation."

Huy Fong Foods did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Chu said the disruption could cost him as much as $300,000 in lost business, and he has no excess supplies because Huy Fong ships the sauce as it is bottled, the Times reported.

Malone said he recommends Tran "make clear through public words and actions that Huy Fong places the health and welfare of its customers above all other priorities."

Even though the recent shipping hold may not seem warranted to some fans, Malone recommends the company both embrace the judge's ruling and pledge to abide by all state laws. Issuing an apology to customers and distributors for the inconvenience and financial impact, despite that the shortage is not really their fault, "would go a long way toward building and maintaining lasting relationships with them," Malone said.

Malone also said the company should pledge to do whatever it takes to resolve the Irwindale odor concerns before next year's pepper grinding season.

"There may be some incremental costs associated with being a good citizen in the local community, but they pale in comparison to the damage that can be done to the company's good reputation if they are widely viewed to care only about themselves," he said.

Comment

Should've been titled "Get 'em While They're Hot"
                      Originally posted by Buzzo
                      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

the little mom & pop gas station down the road from me has a case on the shelf that's probably been there for a decade... I was eyeing it the other day.
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

No biggie... never understood he craze for sriracha sauce. I don't thini its that good
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                            No biggie... never understood he craze for sriracha sauce. I don't thini its that good
                            For shame!

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                              you're crazy... it's perfection on any asian food
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X