Just a little JFK history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    I have heard that after the assassination that everyone treated people from Dallas as if THEY shot the president. People were flat out discriminatory to Dallasites outside of Texas.
    Believe it or not I have talked to those who are Redskin fans who say they hate Dallas because of the JFK assassination.

Comment

I have to say, so far, the live coverage and the handling of the event in Dallas right nowis done very well. I was down there on the 40th because my mother-in-law is a huge conspiracy theorist. I just walked around the outskirts observing. I remember some nice looking young woman dressed all in black made a big show of walking down the sidewalk and placing a rose on the plaque. All eyes were on her. Not sure if she was some attention whore or something staged. Jesse Ventura got up and spoke on some podium and said he had personally sat down with Castro and asked Castro what he thought. I am glad it is not the circus down there today that I saw on the 40th.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
        Anyone else's parents speak of how this martyred him?

If you read now, it appears he was well liked and such, when many appear to remember a young arrogant moron that nearly got us into a nuclear war with Russia.
        If memory serves, JFK was in Dallas to try to win southern Democrats votes.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
          Edit: Googled "JFK wanted for treason poster" and found this:
          http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault...up_before.html
          Each one of those things fit Obummer too. Hmmmm?!

Comment

Dad was stationed at Carswell Air Force Base in the fire department on November 21, 1963 when the president arrived. They stored the presidents limousine and follow up car in the fire station. Dad befriended the Secret Service agent that was to prepare the cars to go to Dallas. Dad said he opened the trunk and had never seen so many guns. And talked about at all the fold-down steps that were all over that car for the agents to stand on. He is the first person to tell me that the presidents limousine was blue. It looks black in the pictures but it is actually a dark blue

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
              In high school, I lived two doors down from James Leavelle's son. Mr. Leavelle was the DPD detective handcuffed to Oswald when he was shot by Jack Ruby. He's pictured here, on the left.

His son's home office was full of memorabilia from the event and one year I convinced him to come speak to my US History class. He shared a lot of info and stories. His dad was also in the Navy and survived the Pearl Harbor attack. I was very intrigued with the whole JFK assassination and WWII during that time, so that was real treat for me.
              Leavelle looked just like my grandfather in that pic.

Comment

The actual car is now at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. I have seen it a couple of times. Of course it was all restored immediately after the event.

Comment

The actual car is now at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. I have seen it a couple of times. Of course it was all restored immediately after the event.
                  More than restored, it was heavily modified and remained in service as the presidential limo for like 10 more years.. I just read a story about it last week.

Edit: Correction, 13 years:

No other vehicle is as seared into the memory of a nation as the Lincoln limousine President John F. Kennedy rode in during his assassination on November 22, 1963, in Dallas. Five decades after tho…

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Eisenhower had a lot more to do with escalating tensions with Russia than Kennedy did. And Johnson had a lot more to do with civil rights legislation than Kennedy did.

Yet somehow Kennedy has received excessive blame for the former and credit for the latter.

If you want to incite some rage among liberals, start showing them proof about Kennedy and the Democrats in the mid- to late 50's being against black rights until they made a deal with the leaders of the black churches to secure votes. Even then, the pandering to the black community was just for votes.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I have heard that after the assassination that everyone treated people from Dallas as if THEY shot the president. People were flat out discriminatory to Dallasites outside of Texas.
                      A lot of people still feel that way.

Read Stephen King's "11/22/63". Synopsis - yankee liberal school teacher finds a way to travel back in time and decides to save JFK. Part of the story is set in 1963 DFW. Every single thing that makes reference to Dallas is negative. Most of it completely ignorant of facts.

Comment

my dad was Dallas fuzz at the time as well....he was the young officer assigned to sit and gaurd the rifle until the feds took it.

He and his partner actually both knew Ruby really well, and both won't speak of it very much but have said on numerous occasions that Ruby "didn't have a choice" with his role in the whole deal.
                        70' Chevelle RagTop
                        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                        X