Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grandfather about to pass away, what should I do/say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfather about to pass away, what should I do/say?

Just got the news, he's still coherent, but I'm just blank at the moment. They think he's got about a week left.

I was probably closer to my grandparents than most grandchildren. Things were a little chaotic when I was really young and I lived with them at times.

He's a WWII vet, not like it should come as a surprise, but I'm just totally blank and thoughtless.

I think I'm going to drive up to see him tomorrow. I would like to talk with him one more time.

What would you talk about with your grandfather if you had one last chance?
    US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

I'd thank my gpa for everything he has taught me, the fun experiences, and just have a general conversation, as if there is nothing pressing.
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Just tell him you love them, Give him a hug. Let the conversation go on from there.

I was lucky to get the same chance with my grandmother. Whom i also lived with for a while. She passed away at home one day after my visit. Its good to have closer, esp if they can understand whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        Just tell him you love them, Give him a hug. Let the conversation go on from there.

I was lucky to get the same chance with my grandmother. Whom i also lived with for a while. She passed away at home one day after my visit. Its good to have closer, esp if they can understand whats going on.
        Ditto.

On my grandpa, too. Though, he lived 7 hours away, We made a special trip for him to see his great-grandson a few months old. Best feeling watching him with my young boy. A few days later, he passed on.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

it will come to you bro. im sorry hear.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Tell him he's the best grandpa in the world. I was talking with an old man once and I told him that I had the best grandpa ever. He smiled and said I hope my grand kids say that about me one day.

I wish I had the opportunity to say bye to mine, we'd still be talking.
            Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Never met either of mine, and I've always wished it were different. I would tell him how much you appreciated the influence he had on your life, that you love him and are proud of both him and his life and that he is your grandfather. Anything besides that is personal and up to you to fill in. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

I was with Leslie's grandfather when he passed. His son (Leslie's uncle) just held his hand as the morphine did its thing. He wasn't moving much, just exchanged looks at each one of us. That was quite the conversation we had.

I wished Leslie would have made it, but her grandfather told me everything I needed in those last few minutes. His eyes did all the talking.

Comment

i lost my grandfather to old age halloween night. he held on for 2.5 more weeks after i got "the call". we went out spent that evening with all the family singing, praying, telling old stories, etc.

like i said, he held on for another couple weeks. we finally had his funueral, 11-10-13. i have never cried so much seeing all of my cousins, aunts uncles and everyone else shedding so many tears.

when i first moved to texas after my father got sick, in 99 my grandfather came from corsicana, by plane, to michigan, and helped my drive my Lt1 z28 back. i'll never forget listening to eminems latest CD with all the fade/balance turned to the driver door speaker (out of respect) and trying to jam out, driving down hwy 96 and 75, and him telling me every 10 minutes to slow down.

If i could do it all over i woulda turned the damn radio off and started pegging that man with questions, to find out all of the backstory on who exactly i am, and where exactly i came from.

i wish your family all the best justin. its all to the good.

Comment

Ask his advice on life, ask his advice on yours, ask him what he is proud of. Tell him how you feel about him and his lessons he has taught you in the most positive way. Thank him and try to make him smile and if possible, make him laugh. I watched my grandfather take his last breath when I was 13 and did not get the chance to do any of those things.

Comment

Just be there for him. Tell him how much you love him, how much he meant to you, ask for a piece of advice regarding life.

Comment

Tell him to tell you some of his favorite memories/stories
                        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I got to say the last words my grandfather heard on this earth. It was that I loved him, and thanked him for teaching me so many things that I still use today, and that now he could take care of grandma again. This was back in 09 and I still got a lump in my throat from just typing that. My grandparents raised me.
                          "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

I forgot also to say thank you for your grandfathers service and I am sorry for the hurt your family has, my condolences sir.

Comment

Just thank him for taking care of you. I came from a similar situation and my grandparents have done more for me and my brother than either of my parents cared to. I can honestly say I would have ended up down the wrong path had they not been there for us to know what being good people meant.

I'm sure he's proud of the man you've become, and your simple thanks will mean more to him than just about anything.

If he's anything like my grandpa, saying more would just make him uncomfortable, lol.
                              Last edited by sc281; 11-19-2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X