Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arlington Judge gets mad

Weird all around.

For David Tran, October 29 was a very good day. He beat a drunk-driving rap he picked up in Arlington three years earlier, when he was 17 years old and blew a .095 into the Intoxilyzer -- just a shade over the .08 legal limit. The offense could be expunged from his record, and a young life could continue.

The Honorable Jerry Ray, a traveling judge who once presided over Palo Pinto County, however, was clearly disgusted -- horrified, even -- by the jury's verdict. Though certainly not the first judge in history to feel this way, Ray distinguished himself that day in a Tarrant County criminal district court by letting the jury know unequivocally what a shitty job he thought they'd done.

"You got lucky," he began, addressing Tran. "You absolutely are legally guilty of this offense. But the jury returned this verdict, and the court's obligated to accept that verdict, and you are found not guilty."

With the jury duly admonished about how utterly it had, in Ray's opinion, failed to uphold the law, the judge might have stopped there. He couldn't, reported the blog Liberally Lean From the Land of Dairy Queen. Ray had a few things to get off his chest. You know it's going to be bad when a judge prefaces his tirade with "I've been at this for such a long time I know better than to get angry."

Specifically, he was irritated the jury decided not to consider the results of the Intoxilyzer test. Jay Caballero, Tran's attorney, said the jurors discussed the verdict with him, the prosecutor and the judge afterward. One juror, he tells Unfair Park, indicated that the jury "didn't believe [Tran] should have been arrested. They didn't believe the officer had enough evidence to merit an arrest."

Ray was livid, denouncing the verdict as the court reporter typed away. "You just decided to ignore the law and your oath, and you know you did," he said, citing the note the jury sent out during its deliberations, asking if it could ignore the Intoxilyzer results.

"And for whatever reasons, you chose to ignore that part of the evidence. And you have the right to do that. It's called jury nullification. It's when a jury decides to ignore the law or ignore the evidence. And they just want a certain outcome, and they maneuver until they get there. Perfect example, the O.J. Simpson trial. He clearly committed murder, and they didn't want to convict him, so they found a way to -- to render a not guilty verdict. I've been around over 40 years in this profession, tried an awful lot of cases as a defense lawyer, a prosecutor and as a judge, and it happens. But this ranks among there as one of the most bizarre verdicts that I've seen.
    Thank you for your service, and you are excused."

Caballero was stunned to silence. "At first I thought about whether I should object. Then I decided, well, I've won, and he's not going to make a favorable impression on the jury by doing this. The court reporter ended up taking it all down anyway."

God forbid that the lowly jury question his infinite wisdom.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Fuck that guy.

Comment

Judges can be wacky, too. Look at what Supreme Court judge Roberts gave us with his "decision" about Barry-Care.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Judges can be wacky, too.
          I always enjoyed Lee Ann Dauphinot when she had that silly parrot sitting on her shoulder in court.

Tom Cave was another winner. Attractive female defendant? Topless dancer? Dope whore? He'd come up with "special" probation for them. He had his son and several attorneys pimping their clients out to him. Real sweetheart of a guy. When he finally got tossed from the bench, he became a defense attorney. Now keep in mind when all this was going on, everybody who lived in Tarrant County knew Cave was as crooked as a dog's leg.

Another guy and I had a vehicle chase that started in NE Tarrant County and ended up wrecking out in Dallas County. The guy had some meth. The original offense took place in Tarrant, so that's where the case was filed. Tom Cave was the guy's court-appointed attorney. The jury gave the guy like 50 years. Everybody involved agreed it was because Tom Cave represented him.

Comment

Need to see more of this happen.

Comment

Is it legal for the judge to attack the jurors in court like that? Sounds like something an ethics commission would have an issue with.

I was on a jury a couple years ago where we found the guy innocent. we were excused and the cop who gave the guy a ticket literally stopped us at the door leaving the courtroom, blocking the door, asking us why we didn't find him guilty. I have always wondered if it was illegal for him to do it.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                I was on a jury a couple years ago where we found the guy innocent. we were excused and the cop who gave the guy a ticket literally stopped us at the door leaving the courtroom, blocking the door, asking us why we didn't find him guilty. I have always wondered if it was illegal for him to do it.
                Did you tell him to kindly get the fuck out of the way?

Comment

095 is so damned close, who's to say the breathalyzer wasn't slightly off calibration?

As opposed to studying all of the angles, I think this judge proved nothing more than his own incompetence by ignoring ALL but one indicator....bravo to the jury for doing just the opposite.
                  70' Chevelle RagTop
                  (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    Is it legal for the judge to attack the jurors in court like that? Sounds like something an ethics commission would have an issue with.

Stevo

How come shit like this never happens to me? I'd have a field day.

Comment

Since he was 17, wouldn't any detectable alcohol get him a DUI?

Copy/paste from dmv.org:

Below are the state's BAC limits:

21 years old or older: 0.08% Commercial drivers: 0.04% Younger than 21 years old: Any detectable amount.

Minors and DWI
                      Like many states, Texas has a Zero Tolerance Law for minors and alcohol; this means drivers younger than 21 years old can’t operate motor vehicles with any amount of alcohol or drugs in their systems.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        How come shit like this never happens to me? I'd have a field day.
                        I can only imagine. Lol. That would be a sight
                        99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                        going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

If I was a juror I would automatically ignore anything that had to do with "zero tolerance" seeing as it is responsible for some of the most outright ridiculous displays of incompetence from "leaders" I have seen over the last ten years. "Timmy the 7 year old made a shape with his hand like a gun in school? Expulsion for life and send him to the mines to break rocks!"

Comment

The article says he was "just a shade" over the .08 limit. He was .095 over the underage limit.

This is not an argument for or against his conviction by the way. Just pointing out the skewed (or just shitty) journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                              Need to see more of this happen.
                              That's not the way the legal system is supposed to work.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X