Girl Pours Gasoline on Slide to Make It More Slippery for 2-Year-Old Sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Pours Gasoline on Slide to Make It More Slippery for 2-Year-Old Sister

Horrific news out of Georgia. A 2-year-old girl lies in a medically induced coma with burns to 30 percent of her body thanks to playing on a slide with her sister. It wasn't a slide that caused the burns, but what her 4-year-old sister poured on it -- gasoline. Reportedly, the little girl decided to put gasoline on the plastic slide to make it more slippery, and then static electricity sparked a fire, igniting the 2-year-old.

Apparently the girls' 26-year-old father, Christopher Calhoun, was outside with them when he stepped inside for a moment and then heard screams. Reports say he grabbed his burning daughter and ran inside to stick her in the shower and then dialed 911.

Pictures of the scene show the pink gasoline container. It's unclear where it was stored or how the little girl got it so fast and got it into her head to pour it on the slide. But kids will do all kinds of crazy things.

For a parent, you are constantly aware that your kid could do something he or she has no idea is dangerous and in a moment everything could change. It's just constant worry. Think about all those kids we read about who manage to start the family car and drive it into homes or siblings.

More From The Stir: 3-Year-Old Killed in Fold-Out Couch While Playing With Sisters

You try to kid-proof and put things out of reach that they might get into -- but, honestly, which one of us would suspect that a toddler might take gasoline and pour it onto a slide? This would most likely have never crossed my mind.

Police are reportedly treating the incident as an accident and not filing any charges. I imagine the dad must feel horrible enough already. There's only so much parents can do. You do the best you can. That's all you can do.

I'm not a parent but it sounds like he was inside for more than a moment for the other kid to get the gas and pour it.
    BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
    I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
    PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

On one hand that is horrible.

On the other, new mythbusters episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbie View Post
        I'm not a parent but it sounds like he was inside for more than a moment for the other kid to get the gas and pour it.
        Shit happens in the blink of eye with kids.

Comment

Not necessarily. When my son was 1 I walked from the living room into the kitchen and before I could get to the sink (10 feet tops) he had gone from laying in the floor to standing on top of the entertainment center trying to topple the TV.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

So glad I'm not going to reproduce. I'll stick to 4-legged dog babies
            BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
            I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
            PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Not necessarily. When my son was 1 I walked from the living room into the kitchen and before I could get to the sink (10 feet tops) he had gone from laying in the floor to standing on top of the entertainment center trying to topple the TV.
              Yea, I always thought this to be the case, so I try to watch my son like a hawk. However I'm still surprised at how fast he gets into something. I'll grant this parent the benefit of a doubt for now. More info is needed before anyone condemns him of bad parenting. I just hope the little lady recovers. At the end of the day, that is all that is important...

Comment

Sad story for sure. Parents can be so irresponsible, but kids can also do many things in seconds. Gotta keep your eye on them.

Comment

So glad I'm not going to reproduce. I'll stick to 4-legged dog babies

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

My friend lost his son to drowning. He was playing in the back yard while my friend was working 30 feet from him, my friend heard the splash and ran to the pool but it was too late. My 9 year old split his chin open within the time of me checking the oven. Bad shit can happen in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                      My friend lost his son to drowning. He was playing in the back yard while my friend was working 30 feet from him, my friend heard the splash and ran to the pool but it was too late. My 9 year old split his chin open within the time of me checking the oven. Bad shit can happen in the blink of an eye.
                      Amen. My son, at the time, had minimal swimming skills and fearlessly would grab a pool noodle and kick around a pool. We were at a party at a club house swimming pool and he was out kicking around in the deep end, when one of the other boys thought it would be funny and yanked the pool noodle out from under him. He immediately sank like a rock. Fortunately, I witnessed the whole event, ran down the side, dove in after him, and lifted him up. He held his breath and just was crying from being scared. I shudder to think if I wasn't watching when that happened.

After a good cry, he wanted the pool noodle and kicked around some more.

Can't help but think the dad did the wrong thing by running with the girl into the shower to extinguish her. Adding too much time. Just smother the flames...
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Some kids were at my house he other day, playing in our backyard. I walk to the window to see one kid tossing a metal teeball bat in a tree while the other one is under the tree not even paying attention. That's how easily shit happens.

Comment

Horrible situation for everyone involved. The dad must be dying inside with guilt. And can you imagine being the older sister and growing up with that? Aw man...

I hope the little girl recovers well.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

The shit kids do boggles my mind. The ideas my 4 year old have are real head scratchers. You gotta protect them as best you can.

Comment

Working...
                            X