This Is The End. ZING!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is The End. ZING!!

This is the end for Blockbuster, and how fitting that the final rented film was 2013′s comedy of the same name, starring Seth Rogen, James Franco and Jonah Hill.

The remaining 300 Blockbuster Videos are in the process of closing their doors, and employees of United States’ furthest-west store in Hawaii posed for a photo with the franchise’s final rental customer.

Last Wednesday, Dish Network president and CEO Joseph P. Clayton cited the growing shift to digital video distribution while announcing the closures.

“This is not an easy decision, yet consumer demand is clearly moving to digital distribution of video entertainment,” Clayton said at the time. “Despite our closing of the physical distribution elements of the business, we continue to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we expect to leverage that brand as we continue to expand our digital offerings.”

Dish will retain the Blockbuster brand’s licensing rights, along with key assets, including the company’s video library. Dish, which acquired Blockbuster in 2011, will focus on providing Blockbuster @Home service to its customers and via the Blockbuster on Demand streaming service. All physical stores will be shuttered by January.

Also read: 10 Actors Who Famously Parodied Themselves Before ‘This Is the End’

As for the documentation of the final brick-and-mortar transaction, the workers were smiling, either for the sake of the picture, or because they were moments from being free to pursue career opportunities at Redbox.

Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

i didnt even know there was a blockbuster still open...

Comment

That movie sucked baaad too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
        That movie sucked baaad too.
        I thought the first half was "OK", but I think the director just walked off the set when they started filming the second half. Man, that was awful.

Comment

I still laughed my ass off when he pulled out his gimp though. That shit was funny.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Everything funny was in the preview pretty much. Everyone was trying way to hard. Anyway, All the Blockbusters around here within reasonable driving distance closed anyway, so I haven't been in one in over 5 years. Won't miss them. They had a shitty selection of older movies any way.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Everything funny was in the preview pretty much. Everyone was trying way to hard. Anyway, All the Blockbusters around here within reasonable driving distance closed anyway, so I haven't been in one in over 5 years. Won't miss them. They had a shitty selection of older movies any way.
              I have a soft-spot in my heart for Blockbuster, from going there as a kid all the way up to working there as a CSR, then shift leader, then assistant store manager. I hated the job, but the people I worked with were great. Bittersweet for me, really.

Comment

for those wanting to buy movie at the closing store .... http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...nclick_check=1

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  I have a soft-spot in my heart for Blockbuster, from going there as a kid all the way up to working there as a CSR, then shift leader, then assistant store manager. I hated the job, but the people I worked with were great. Bittersweet for me, really.
                  I did the same thing. Started my senior year of HS, got promoted to assistant manager after i graduated making a whopping $7.14/hr. Back in 1999, I thought that was CHOOCHOO money

Comment

Working...
                  X