Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silence

It's an amazing thing.

And it's amazing how even when you think you have some "quiet time" it's really not silent. I'm talking the silence where you brain gets a little weirded out b/c your not getting that usual 30 dbA background noise we're all used to. The silence that let's you hear the slight ringing of the blood running through your ears. Holy shit that's a great, but strange, noise.

I told my wife last night that between work, travel, dinners, meetings, family, church, friends, more work, etc that I hadn't had any real legit away-from-everything quiet in a while - really not since I was laying in a tent in a canyon in west TX eight months ago. Today when I got home there was a bottle of Macallan 15, my favorite glass, a cigar, and a book I'm in the middle of on the kitchen counter w/ a note that she was going to dinner with a friend.

It was actually so quiet in the house I had to go sit outside.

Holy shit. Silence might be one of the best the best things this world has to offer, but its damn near impossible to find these days.

Anyone else feel like its a constant struggle to just get time to hear yourself think?

Can't hear over the baby crying. I need to get back to work to get some rest and relaxation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Start hunting. If you don't want to kill anything, just take a camera...

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post
        Start hunting. If you don't want to kill anything, just take a camera...
        I've done the hunting thing... I get it, and i love shooting, but its just not for me. I'd rather just be outdoors with a book and a beer and not worry about bringing home food.

I just scheduled a three day solo hike of Perdernales Falls in a few weeks. Close enough it's the day-to-day times in between stuff like that that's tough.

Comment

I wish I could remember what that kind of silence feels like. Between a 4 year old and work, there's always something going on.

Comment

I haven't had that type of silence in a long time.

Comment

Comment

I have tinnitus now, so I don't have to worry about it.

A few years ago, before i got tinnitus, our electricity went off in the whole neighborhood. I usually sleep with a ceiling fan on and a air cleaning blower fan on for the constant noise. That night I woke up. It was pitch black. I couldn't see anything, so that removed my sense of sight. My nose was stopped up from no fan, so that killed my sense of smell. It was dead quiet, so that killed my sense of hearing. After a minute of lying there, my brain started to panic. I had never had that feeling before. I had to started talking out loud to myself just to calm myself down. It was the most fucked feeling. Since then, I can understand what solitary confinement can do to a person.
                Last edited by line-em-up; 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I get my time any night after the kids are in bed. Just me, a good cigar, and the Aledo night air. I get it.
                  Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

yeah, I can't stand dead silence due to tinnitus... I gotta have some background/white noise of some sort
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I'm in Louisiana, and there are three other people within a mile of where I'm sitting. One of them is Denny, tough.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

What's tough about Denny being a mile from you??

Comment

Silence is my favorite thing. Some people get lonely when they're alone and everything is silent, but that's when I'm happiest.
                          Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                          Anyone else feel like its a constant struggle to just get time to hear yourself think?
                          Damn right buddy. I am so sick of the congestion and pace of the metroplex I could just about puke.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                            What's tough about Denny being a mile from you??
                            Within a mile. He's like two feet away.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

The thing I miss most about the mountains, followed by the stars.

Down here, I get lost in the noise and let it wash over me. One thing I really miss is the country noise from when we lived out in the sticks north of Mckinney. Never appreciated it until it was gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X