Tesla Model S design flaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Model S design flaw?

Seems if you hit road debris, it catches fire.

In the third fiery incident since October, another Tesla Model S electric car caught fire after hitting road debris. This time the blaze erupted in Tennessee after the car ran over a tow hitch on t…

In the third fiery incident since October, another Tesla Model S electric car caught fire after hitting road debris. This time the blaze erupted in Tennessee after the car ran over a tow hitch on the interstate, possibly damaging the undercarriage and sparking an electrical fire.

Valuewalk posted the news after a commenter shared a photo of the fire on a Tesla forum, and a spokeswoman for the company has confirmed the fire, noting that it wasn’t spontaneous.

“We have been in contact with the driver, who was not injured and believes the car saved his life. Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened,” she says. “We will provide more information when we’re able to do so.”
    It sounds a lot like the first fiery incident in October, when the driver also hit road debris that punctured a shield and pierced the battery pack. Another blaze flamed up in Mexico when the driver ran over a roundabout and crashed into a concrete wall at high speed.

After the initial Tesla inferno, the company’s CEO Elon Musk responded with a blog post noting that the fire was contained to the front of the vehicle, which also appears to be the case this time. Maybe Musk will weigh in again, but in the meantime it sounds like Tesla owners should try to avoid driving over stuff.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

my mom's suburban had a design flaw... if you towed in overdrive, it would spew boiling transmission fluid onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I just saw one on 183. I like them but would be scared of electronic failure.

Comment

Sounds like the third owner got paaaaaid!

Comment

My truck has a design flaw too, run over something sharp and the fucking tire blows!
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

They'll strengthen the armor and structure and be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
              my mom's suburban had a design flaw... if you towed in overdrive, it would spew boiling transmission fluid onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire
              My Dad's older suburban did that on a Boy Scout trip to Philmont. We almost failed at the motto of being prepared and lost the suburban.

I wouldn't exactly call this a design flaw on the Tesla, though. Tow hitches can destroy things and highway speeds. Sounds rather unfortunate, though.

Comment

I'm impressed that it only took 3 for them to contact the owners to get things worked on. The big companies require hundreds of thousands
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I've had a recurring design flaw in my sable. It seems the car ceases to operate every 300-350 miles and must be towed to a gas station. My tow guy assures me it's normal.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I figured you would say the design flaw was the Sable.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I've had a recurring design flaw in my sable. It seems the car ceases to operate every 300-350 miles and must be towed to a gas station. My tow guy assures me it's normal.
                      I appreciate your business.
                      Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
                      http://www.titantowing.net
                      -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                        I figured you would say the design flaw was the Sable.
                        No one talks shit about the sable.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

HA! I was just stating I missunderstood!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                            HA! I was just stating I missunderstood!
                            Bitches be all like, those 15's? Naw bitch, them 16's. Aw, looks nice... damn straight shorty - that's the LS model - sea green. Top of the line.

Comment

Lmao:

But seriously, batteries are junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X