Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injured man pulls the plug. Heart breaking for sure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When someone has made their wishes clear about end of life issues, then that is their decision, not yours. You are just the voice of the person that cannot speak for themselves. It is not you making the decision to withdraw support and allow the patient to expire...it is their decision. I hate it when a person has an straight forward DNR order on the chart and a family member allows their guilt to get the best of them and they say, "Do everything!" Respect the patient's wishes...it's about what they want, no what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      When someone has made their wishes clear about end of life issues, then that is their decision, not yours. You are just the voice of the person that cannot speak for themselves. It is not you making the decision to withdraw support and allow the patient to expire...it is their decision. I hate it when a person has an straight forward DNR order on the chart and a family member allows their guilt to get the best of them and they say, "Do everything!" Respect the patient's wishes...it's about what they want, no what you want.

Exactly. Not about to second guess this guy. I wouldn't want to "live" that way either.

Comment

Completely agree. My "what if", that I mentioned, was not in the context of "if I was the family member". But what if I were faced with the same decision as the injured man. Being kept alive to watch a baby being born and grow up or terminating life to save yourself from suffering (not to mention the family suffering)? Tough call.....

Comment

I think the longer you think about it, the worse it is on everyone. I'd want to go out soon, and hope that my family would be able to move on before it greatly impacts the unborn child. I never want to be a burden on my own family. You also know that the wife won't want to spend the rest of her life with man that cannot take care of her. It's not sympathetic, but it's rational and the best decision for long term happiness and joy.

This is why I want to get DNR tattooed on my chest.

Comment

Even though it seems like a selfish decision he may have also taken his family into consideration with the time and money it would cost along with the emotional hell.

Comment

I'm sure I would eventually do the same thing, but...

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              I think I'd take a little more time to come to that decision, personally.
              ^this.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                I'm sure I would eventually do the same thing, but...

^this.
                I would have done the same thing...wake me up and I learn that I severed my spine in the C3-5 region I do not want to live as a quadraplegic on a ventilator. Not fair to my family in many ways...financially, emotionally, sexually...etc. Let me say my good-byes and then give me some good drugs and go. It would be tough on everyone...but MUCH tougher trying to live.

Comment

Sad situation for sure, but I can see it from his point of view. For me personally, I love to drive, play video games, and many other things I wouldn't be able to do in that state. I know I would be in a better place if I pulled the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

This is why I want to get DNR tattooed on my chest.
                    Not to doubt your decision on that. But many people have been resuscitated and come back to lead an otherwise normal life. A heart attack, car wreck or something along those lines can, in some cases be beat. Of course in the hunting case, completely different case though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
                      Not to doubt your decision on that. But many people have been resuscitated and come back to lead an otherwise normal life. A heart attack, car wreck or something along those lines can, in some cases be beat. Of course in the hunting case, completely different case though.
                      True...but I got myself there. I figure I'll do America a solid and save everyone the expense of medical procedures with Obamacare and all. Just let me die and take me out with the trash.

Comment

It was a selfish decision, but it would also have been selfish to live. No winners there.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          x2

I would have made the same decision in a heartbeat. Being a quad in a nursing home (or a horrendous burden on your family) is a horrible life for you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                          X