Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any weld inspectors, Quality Assurance folks on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any weld inspectors, Quality Assurance folks on here?

Need input on what would be expected as a QA person with regard to structural components conforming to standards. Also verifying dimensions using measuring instruments - calipers, micrometers, gauges, etc.

I might be interviewing for a Quality Assurance Inspector position in the next day or so. Not the dream position but I need to go to work somewhere ASAP.

I believe I can tell a good weld from a bad, but what would a QA guy look for and is there any equipment involved? Sonogram type stuff, etc.?

I can use calipers and micrometers, etc.

Any esoteric lingo or buzzwords I need to be familiar with? Don't want to get blindsided.

Thanks!

Of course I am googling everything on earth, too.

Comment

They have forums for everything, but perhaps call a company in that space and ask to speak to their QA manager or someone in that position.

Comment

You might also familiarize yourself with magnafluxing, weld x-raying and so forth.

Pipeline companies are good sources as well because they train on the fly and have to do it very efficiently.

Comment

Well I have the job description from the potential employer, and it just says VISUAL inspection. So, I'm watching a video as we speak. It doesn't look complicated, but I want to do a good job.

Comment

try this:www.ndt.net/article/0698/hayes/hayes.htm

Comment

Porosity in welding is a common defect that is fairly easy to fix. What issues contribute to weld porosity? Read our checklist to learn what the problem may be.

Comment

Make sure you can perform the specific weld. Also you can't get that job without a CWI cert. If you do lmk and that will be shut down.

Be able to perfect the weld before you try to tell anyone else theirs is not good enough. Its real shameful to have a welder ask you to do any better and you can't strike an arc.

I do qa/QC but do not have a CWI. Our company spends big money on one or two guys a year to get their CWI. Also be ready to travel or not make much money. Bonded inspections xrays our welds and the CWI gets paid a dollar or two over scale to pull a tape and visually inspect a weld.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                  Also you can't get that job without a CWI cert. If you do lmk and that will be shut down.

I do qa/QC but do not have a CWI.

You're contradicting yourself. Stop being so bitter.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    You can't do cwi without a cwi. I qa/ac copper/plastic joints,I cannot inspect or pass/fail steel joints

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      To add to that. Him doing CWI work without a CWI cert would be akin to you guys busting on Patrick for having a lambo and claiming to be a CPA.

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

To add to that. Him doing CWI work without a CWI cert would be akin to you guys busting on Patrick for having a lambo and claiming to be a CPA.

You're the one that brought up the Certified portion. His OP states QA/Weld inspector. Not QA/CWI. It's entirely possible that the position he's interviewing for doesn't require the Cert. It's even more likely that they would not consider an interview with a person who doesn't have the cert, if a cert was required for the position. Believe it or not, union mentality doesn't belong in every job, and not every weld on mfg outside of the plumbing field has to be inspected by a CWI. Just saying. Think outside the box, Rodney.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Damn I could a swore I saw CWI. I take it all back.. You're the man for the job Chris!

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Damn I could a swore I saw CWI. I take it all back.. You're the man for the job Chris!

LOL! I am going to put you down as a reference. Seriously it's just a lil ole 15 dollar an hour job looking at welds and measuring some parts.

But I can probably snag it pretty quick if it's still an open req., the recruiter will let me know tomorrow. I could certainly use some income.

I doubt I am dealing with any pressurized stuff or giant cranes or else the description would be much more specific, ask for certs, and the pay would be much higher.

I am probably looking at / measuring some pieces of angle iron and making sure they can hold up a work bench, ha ha!

Comment

Yeah that's about right as far as the qa side of things.

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                              X