Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has lost their Medical Plan due to Obamacare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our open enrollment hasn't started yet, so I am still waiting to see how badly we get dicked.

As to the enrollment numbers, just came across this article:

Obamacare Enrollment Numbers Fall Far Short Of Target

More than one month into the rollout of Obamacare, 106,185 people have chosen a private health insurance plan using the health care reform law's troubled exchanges, the Department of Health and Human Services announced Wednesday, the first time the Obama administration has given enrollment figures.

Technical problems besieging HealthCare.gov, the federal online portal for insurance in more than 30 states, and the websites for several state-run marketplaces have hampered sign-up and threaten to derail President Barack Obama's signature domestic policy achievement. The Obama administration is far from meeting the Congressional Budget Office's projection of enrolling 7 million people into private insurance and 9 million people into Medicaid by March 31.

The disappointing results of the first phase of Affordable Care Act enrollment underscore the fragility of the new marketplaces and the urgent need for the Obama administration to get HealthCare.gov reliably functioning by the end of this month. The coverage of millions of people whose plans are being eliminated hangs in the balance, as does the prospect of fulfilling the promise of reducing the ranks of the 48 million Americans who have no health insurance.

More than 79,000 of the people who have selected an Obamacare plan did so using the health insurance exchanges in the 15 states and the District of Columbia that are operating their own marketplaces, compared to 26,794 who used the federally run exchanges, HHS reports. Not all of the more than 100,000 people tallied by the administration have taken the final necessary step and actually made the first payment for their coverage, which begins in January, the report indicates.

An additional 975,407 people have completed the application to determine whether they can receive subsidies and now have only to choose a health plan, the report says. More than 396,000 people using the exchanges have been deemed eligible for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Plan.

The administration has pleaded for patience, emphasizing that the enrollment period doesn't end for more than four months. Citing the precedents set by the rollout of the Massachusetts health insurance exchange in 2007 and the launch of the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit in 2006, the White House maintains that Obamacare enrollment will surge in December and again near the end of March.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Our open enrollment hasn't started yet, so I am still waiting to see how badly we get dicked.

As to the enrollment numbers, just came across this article:

Obamacare Enrollment Numbers Fall Far Short Of Target

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...6pLid%3D405688
      I'd be willing to bet those numbers are exaggerated, too. I bet the real numbers are less than half of that.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

The price of mine through my employer went up in cost, and down in covered costs. I now pay more than I did last year, plus I will pay more at the doctor or hospital.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Oh, I will add though, that our insurance carrier was changed effective 8/1/13, which may have been in anticipation of issues.

It was atypical because our policies usually run with the calendar year. We were changed from BCBS to Cigna. My policy is pretty much the same, went up a few bucks, but the CoPay for ER went from $100 to $250.

The biggest thing I am worried about is if they do not allow spouses who have coverage available through their employer. Leah has always been on mine because the coverage through every district she has worked for has absolutely sucked.

My last employer allowed her but made me pay a penalty of like $25 - $50 a month. My current employer has never done that.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I'd be willing to bet those numbers are exaggerated, too. I bet the real numbers are less than half of that.
            I would definitely consider them suspect.

Comment

... and who knows how many of those enrollment numbers are duplicate accounts

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Oh, I will add though, that our insurance carrier was changed effective 8/1/13, which may have been in anticipation of issues.

It was atypical because our policies usually run with the calendar year. We were changed from BCBS to Cigna. My policy is pretty much the same, went up a few bucks, but the CoPay for ER went from $100 to $250.

The biggest thing I am worried about is if they do not allow spouses who have coverage available through their employer. Leah has always been on mine because the coverage through every district she has worked for has absolutely sucked.

My last employer allowed her but made me pay a penalty of like $25 - $50 a month. My current employer has never done that.
                Christian's insurance is dropping me. You can damn near bet yours will drop Lea. They were talking about that part of the law allowing companies to drop anyone who has coverage available through their employer this morning on the news. Sucks balls bc teacher insurance blows.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
                  Christian's insurance is dropping me. You can damn near bet yours will drop Lea. They were talking about that part of the law allowing companies to drop anyone who has coverage available through their employer this morning on the news. Sucks balls bc teacher insurance blows.
                  Yeah, I remember talking about that with you guys, that's what's got me worried.

I will say that I have pretty decent insurance otherwise, so I'm hoping we can avoid that. The bad thing is that my company is terrible about communicating HR related stuff. It's almost always last minute and very little detail is provided. We have also had a lot of turnover in our HR.

Comment

Well we had open enrollment yesterday and our company is being generous enough to cover the increase. Our insurance will not go up at all. I feel pretty lucky about that.

Comment

I have private insurance for me and my two sons through Blue Cross Blue Shield. We are not being dropped but my insurance is going up $1200 a year for no fucking reason. Same coverage and deductibles but my prices are sky rocketing. I will find out about my wife's insurance through her work tomorrow since the the company she works for is having a meeting with the employees over their new insurance plans. Hope that one doesn't fuck me as well.

Comment

Costs went up ~ $55/mo with increased copays and deductibles for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blownaltered View Post
                          I have private insurance for me and my two sons through Blue Cross Blue Shield. We are not being dropped but my insurance is going up $1200 a year for no fucking reason. Same coverage and deductibles but my prices are sky rocketing. I will find out about my wife's insurance through her work tomorrow since the the company she works for is having a meeting with the employees over their new insurance plans. Hope that one doesn't fuck me as well.
                          I would expect equivalent coverage to go up some just because of the new insurance requirements that will, in theory, raise the costs for insurance companies. One of the big ones is that they can no longer decline coverage for "pre-existing conditions". That in itself will force insurance companies to cover a lot more than they traditionally did in the past.

Comment

I bring home $61 more per week. Gotta love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Edit, it's actually more than that but I don't want Michelle's husband asking for scans of my pay checks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Mine with CIGNA went up less than a dollar every two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X