X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters be on the lookout for PETA drones

PETA launches their ‘Air Angel,’ a drone meant to hunt hunters
    10/28/13

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has unveiled their “Air Angel,” a quadrapcopter drone meant to ensure hunters adhere to the law.

The “Air Angel” is actually a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 with PETA decals plastered to its sides.

Recently, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said they were acquiring drones, and now that the animal rights group has released their final product, they believe it will aid in raising awareness about the cruelty of hunting, though they may not legally be permitted to use them, Mashable reported.

According to Petacatalog.com, the “Air Angel” drone is a four-motored quadracopter capable of hovering high above the tree line while beaming captured video directly to a cell phone. Its purpose is to use the footage to alert game wardens of hunters engaging in illegal activity such as “drinking while in possession of a firearm, injuring animals and failing to pursue them, and illegally using spotlights, feed lures, and other nasty but common hunting tricks.”

PETA spokeswoman Lindsay Rajt told Mashable that drone users have already used the “Air Angel” to report bow hunters after they violated the rule that states hunting shall not begin until “one-half hour before sunrise.”

“[Authorities] were very receptive, and they said they were going to look into it,” Rajt said. “I think people should call in violations as they see them.”

But not everyone looks upon the “Air Angels” with such affinity. President of the Massachusetts Bowhunters Association Dennis Boomer feels the drones are not just unnecessary, but redundant.

Many hunters aren’t about having the drones buzzing over their head as they stalk their game.

“Hunters already have a police force that watch us, they’re called game wardens, Hayden told Mashable. “Obviously, they more than protect the wildlife in Massachusetts. They would arrest a hunter if they were doing something wrong.”

The quadracopters may be more than just a nuisance, however. Hayden gave a word of caution to those looking to spend $324.99 on “the new hobby for animal protectionists,” saying its use would be a violation against the law that protects hunters against those seeking to “drive or disturb wildlife or fish for the purpose of interrupting a lawful taking.” The law also states no one shall “block, follow impede or otherwise harass another who is engaged in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife.”

“Anybody that’s going to go out there and buy one of these things to go watch hunters, it’s a form of harassment, and they’re breaking the law,” Hayden said.

So as PETA takes to the skies with their “Air Angels,” earnestly searching to capture video of hunters committing violations, members of the animal rights group may find themselves breaking the law as well.
    "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Can it fly upside down?

Comment

Well, if you don't any deer, at least you'll still have something to shoot at.

Comment

Wouldn't they only be able to do this kind of thing on public land?
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I just picked up my combo license and got my drone stamp on it.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            I forgot what the height is, but private property only goes so high.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              I forgot what the height is, but private property only goes so high.
              Those hippies would have a hard time getting away if they tried that shit on my family's land. There are only so many ways in and out of that joint, and I know them all.

Comment

I do not think PETA cares about the law. Besides, I don't think you own the airspace above your land so it probably is fair game, and even if you do I doubt it is very high. Probably something similar to how you own the ground 20' down (or something like that) and everything else below belongs to mineral rights owners with that whole fucked up fiasco of land rights.

Anyway, if I see a PETA drone close enough I am shooting it down and mounting it on my wall.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Those hippies would have a hard time getting away if they tried that shit on my family's land. There are only so many ways in and out of that joint, and I know them all.
                  When can I invite myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    When can I invite myself?
                    We can go whenever, dude. Let me know.

Comment

Opportunity bonus.

Comment

It most states it would be considered hunter harassment, and against the law.

Comment

Comment

Active skeet shooting, I like it.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Peta is probably looking forward to it being shotdown so they can go after the hunter(s).

Should find out how the drone is controlled and send a stronger signal and hijack it

Comment

Working...
                              X