Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record companies now suing restaurants for playing music

Jesus Christ.

You know Primo's, the busy-as-hell Tex-Mex restaurant on McKinney Avenue? You've likely walked by its patio while it's packed to the rails with Uptowners lining their stomachs with cheese and tortillas before a night of shot-taking, misplaced credit cards and broken heels. The restaurant has been open since 1986, according to a manager, and was successful enough to spawn a second restaurant in Garland in 2007.

And now BMI, the massive music publisher, wants a slice of Primo's quesadilla. The company is targeting the owners and even a few of the employees for copyright infringement on behalf of 11 different artists and publishers in a federal lawsuit.

Through BMI, the plaintiffs allege a number of unlicensed performances of their music on September 20, 2011. This was the night "Billy Jean" played while fajitas sizzled, Anthony Kiedis sang "Californication" while customers requested extra hot sauce and Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" hinted at events yet to come.

BMI sends representatives out to bars are restaurants all over the country to listen for tracks from artists they represent. When a song is heard, a bill is presented and if that doesn't go over well, the legal team gets called in.

The same song plays out again and again, enough for the New York Times Magazine to cover the process, and another example to pop up at some rural midget wrestling bar over on Unfair Park earlier this year.

As a former bar band musician, I can tell you any professional performance of any music copyrighted through ASCAP, requires a fee paid by the bar band. A lot of folks don 't bother, but it can get you sued.

Comment

I always wonder if the restaurants were paying for the songs.

I wonder how much the "bill" is.

Comment

So if a hooker plays music on her iphone while I ream her wide open she could be sued?

Comment

Is this a joke? Tell me this is an article from The Onion.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
            So if a hooker plays music on her iphone while I ream her wide open she could be sued?
            Nope. You're paying for her services and the music from the phone is part of that. So, you're liable for the licensing.
            Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

What the fuck is this sue happy society gonna come up with next? Ridiculous..........

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                As a former bar band musician, I can tell you any professional performance of any music copyrighted through ASCAP, requires a fee paid by the bar band. A lot of folks don 't bother, but it can get you sued.
                Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I always wonder if the restaurants were paying for the songs.

You can't get sued if it's a paid service, which most restaurants use.

I wonder how much the "bill" is.
                As I just stated above, most restaurants (especially chains) utilize a paid service for playing music in their venue. My company uses Muzak, now called Mood, in over 130 properties throughout the United States. It's essentially a paid streaming service that connects Muzak receivers to a central hosting server. There are hundreds of channels/stations to choose from that can be broadcasted/streamed into your venue.
                Last edited by motoman; 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                Originally posted by Denny
                What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Record companies are dying a slow horrible death so I am not surprised.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Band cut from bill : 5%

Comment

It's a load of crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Change it up 10% or whatever it is and there isn't a fucking thing they can do.

Comment

I know my buddy that owns a few restaurants plays streaming music from Pandora, with a paid subscription. I wonder if that is sufficient enough to not get sued? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                            I know my buddy that owns a few restaurants plays streaming music from Pandora, with a paid subscription. I wonder if that is sufficient enough to not get sued? LOL
                            As long as it is the commercial Pandora account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Record companies are dying a slow horrible death so I am not surprised.
                              yep. there is no money to be made in it anymore. no one buys records.

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X