Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to buy a zero turn riding mower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to buy a zero turn riding mower?

I'm looking for a good deal on a zero turn riding mower. Just needs to mow about 1.5 acres, so it doesn't need to be commercial grade or anything. Where's the best place to get a good deal? Any suggestions on brands?

Storm in Grand Prairie or Classic Turf in Mansfield. Like the service at both. What you need to do is have a maximum that you are willing to spend. Then go in and tell them exactly how much land you have and how often you mow. Our family runs mostly John Deere, but there are numerous reputable brands out there.

Side note: if you buy a Deere from Lowes, it is more than likely prepped for sale by Storm in Grand Prairie.

Comment

I bought mine at Outdoor World in Azle.....family owned little independent place....great folks.

70' Chevelle RagTop
      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Got a John Deer from Lowes. Zero complaints, I can knock out my 3 acres in about 1.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          Got a John Deer from Lowes. Zero complaints, I can knock out my 3 acres in about 1.5 hours.
          Really!?!? How big is the cut?
          Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            Did you get a small pos john deer?

I can knock out 3 acres with my 23 horse 46" Husqvarna in about 45 minutes.
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

About how much are you guys paying? I'm hoping to keep it around $2k-$2500 at most. May have to go used. I want something that knocks that shit out in 45 minutes like Fatherford.

Comment

$3k gets you entry level zero turn. For that budget you will need used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                  About how much are you guys paying? I'm hoping to keep it around $2k-$2500 at most. May have to go used. I want something that knocks that shit out in 45 minutes like Fatherford.
                  Mine was 2599 at lowes. Get a 10% coupon and that is about what you will spend after tax.

On the immediate house area I slow down some, but the mower goes about 7mph and I can go full blast through the thick stuff and the engine never bogs down.

A lot of the lowes john deers have stamped steel frames and weak motors. I consider my 23horse a bare minimum in power.
                  "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Comment

Stupid question alert:

Would there be any difference in time for a regular riding mower vs. a zero turn? Considering both have 23 hp and 46 inch cuts. Just asking for my situation, 4 acres no trees.
                    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                      Mine was 2599 at lowes. Get a 10% coupon and that is about what you will spend after tax.

On the immediate house area I slow down some, but the mower goes about 7mph and I can go full blast through the thick stuff and the engine never bogs down.
                      This sounds like the ticket. I can't find Husqvarna at Lowe's but this Troy-bilt has the same HP and deck size:

Is Troy-bilt any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
                        Stupid question alert:

Would there be any difference in time for a regular riding mower vs. a zero turn? Considering both have 23 hp and 46 inch cuts. Just asking for my situation, 4 acres no trees.
                        I had a 42" tractor with a 20 horse motor and it took me 2.5 hours roughly. I had to do a lot of reversing etc. to get around trees and what not.

If that gives you any idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                          This sounds like the ticket. I can't find Husqvarna at Lowe's but this Troy-bilt has the same HP and deck size:

Is Troy-bilt any good?
                          It has a B&S engine which I was a big fan of, but it seems quality control went to the shitter. Also I'm not sure how thick that deck is, but the Husqvarna came with a reinforced deck.

I went to lots of stores, and the husqvarna for 2599 had a lot of the same features as the $5000 ones out there.

Comment

I highly recommend Lowery Motor Service in Lewisville. Not especially known for discount pricing but absolutely great service. IMO that is the only downside to buying these things from a big box store. http://www.lowerymotorservice.com/

If you do buy from a big box store, you need to know where you can get this thing serviced if something happens. When I was shopping around I asked several John Deere dealers about servicing stuff from a big box and their answer was good luck because they didn't make a dime on that sale and some of them can't stand competition they get from the big boxes. They will still fix it but it might not be a priority for them.

Joezgarage says that there is a dealer in GP that preps JDs for sale at Lowes. That may be the place you have to go for service. So make sure you ask before buying and know exactly what you have to do when something breaks.

I have a Toro TimeCutter SS4535 that I bought from Lowery and it has been flawless for the last year. I have an acre (3/4th if you subtract the house) and it takes about half an hour to mow it with all the obstacles. I believe the list price is $2500.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                              It has a B&S engine which I was a big fan of, but it seems quality control went to the shitter. Also I'm not sure how thick that deck is, but the Husqvarna came with a reinforced deck.

I went to lots of stores, and the husqvarna for 2599 had a lot of the same features as the $5000 ones out there.
                              Found a John Deere

And this Husqy

in my price range from Lowe's. Hopefully they go on sale over the winter, I probably wont buy for a couple of months. What features do I need to look for in these mowers? Reinforced deck, twenty-something HP, what else?

Comment

Working...
                              X