Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for when buying a car hauler/trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for when buying a car hauler/trailer?

Im in the market for a car trailer. It'll mainly be for hauling my Cadillac to and from but I routinely haul various different vehicles from time to time. Im figuring to spend $1500-2500. Iv found a bunch on cl but Im unsure which features to look for over others(metal deck, wood deck, dove tail, axles,etc...). Is a metal deck really worth the extra money?
    Thanks

1) trailer brakes

Comment

Ive been looking too. I had been looking at those you see all the time on there for like $13xx. But that doesn't come with ramps, and has used tires.
      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
        Ive been looking too. I had been looking at those you see all the time on there for like $13xx. But that doesn't come with ramps, and has used tires.
        This is the one Im looking at.

Comment

I have a couple, one like the CL link above, and a steel decked one as well. The steel decked has the same size deck, but the dovetail is longer and less steep, and the tongue is longer. Overall those two things make it load and tow much easier.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I have a couple, one like the CL link above, and a steel decked one as well. The steel decked has the same size deck, but the dovetail is longer and less steep, and the tongue is longer. Overall those two things make it load and tow much easier.
            You think it's worth the $700 more.

Comment

Its hard to say. What does that big caddy weigh, and what are you pulling it with?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                If you get this, put red/white reflective tape down both sides. Other than that, looks good.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

2) Wheels
                  Originally posted by talisman
                  I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                  Originally posted by AdamLX
                  If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  Because fuck you, that's why
                  Originally posted by 80coupe
                  nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                  Originally posted by Rick Modena
                  ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

To me it was worth it to save a little more and buy a nicer trailer with a warranty and looked nice. Extended tongue is really nice when back in a trailer as you can turn a little sharper. It also pulls nicer. Longer dovetail is nice. Also, pull out ramps from the back. Mine are box tube steel, no angle iron and slide out. No sliding them in the side. This would hopefully be a one time purchase...buy a quality one.

Comment

5200# axles if you are towing a caddi...3500's will be unhappy with that much car.

granted I've been towing rock crawlers all over the SW and they typically aren't light (4000-4800#)....short distances is fine for 3500#, but if you want the trailer to hold up I would spend the extra $$$ up front.
                      Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
                      I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

As other's have stated. Heavier duty axles, brakes, longer tongue and longer dove tail.
                        sigpic

Comment

I like a wrapped tongue that goes to the axle. Bulldog Coupler is pretty durable. If used look over the suspension and it mounting points for cracks and breakage.
                          If you don't get a dovetail and you are hauling cars you will probably regret it. Mine is 16' with a 2' dovetail for a total of 18'. The 5200# axles are probably a good investment but I doubt you will find a used one so equipped. That's what is under my enclosed. They have 6 lugs instead of 5 lugs.

Winch is always handy. I generally carry two spares when towing, especially long distances. Get a jack that will pick it up when loaded. With that much load you might look into Load leveling bars and sway control.
                          Rich

Comment

Look for ramps that slide out the back, it's a lot easier. A dovetail is a must in my opinion and I'd prefer a metal deck for longevity and strength. Not to mention tie downs, there isn't much flexibility with a wooden deck.

Also as mentioned a wrapped tongue is better in case something goes wrong. Imagine if a rear tie down comes loose and the car rolls, how are you going to get it off the trailer if the wheel goes over the side?

Comment

I'm on my fifth trailer now....2 have had torsion axles (including my current one) and both hauled WAY better than the ones with leafs. If you are going to be hauling any significant weight be sure the main frame is built with full boxed steel, not C-channel...and certainly not L. If you have a low car you need to be aware of the fender-to-deck height, so that you can still open the doors when loaded. Same goes for the dovetail....if you're car is low you'll likely still drag on a 2'....I used to have a steel deck with 4' dovetail and rear slideout ramps...never any issues loading lowered cars on it.

Steel deck is of course better than wood, but also always more expensive. If you go with wood take some time to treat it, and just expect that you will need to replace some boards every few years (if it's kept outside).

Trailers this size are okay with brakes just on one axle, and I also consider a bulldog hitch a must-have on any car hauler.

Out of all mine, I had a Challenger that was a total POS....they look nice, but are total China junk. The best were an older DragMaster, and my current that is a LoadTrail.
                              70' Chevelle RagTop
                              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X