USS Forrestal, Navy's first 'supercarrier,' sold for one cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Forrestal, Navy's first 'supercarrier,' sold for one cent

The aircraft carrier USS Forrestal, out of service for 20 years, is being sold to a Brownsville, Texas, scrap company for a penny, the Navy says.

WASHINGTON, Oct. 23 (UPI) -- The aircraft carrier USS Forrestal, out of service for 20 years, is being sold to a Brownsville, Texas, scrap company for a penny, the Navy says.
    All Star Metals bid $0.01 for the job, the Navy said in a news release Tuesday. The company's offer was based on its estimate of how much it can net from the sale of metal from the Forrestal.

The Forrestal, the first of the Navy's "supercarriers," was launched in December 1954 in Newport News, Va., and commissioned on Sept. 29, 1955. It was named after James V. Forrestal, the last Navy secretary to sit in the cabinet and the first secretary of defense, who committed suicide in 1949.

The carrier was decommissioned in 1993. The Navy offered to donate it as a museum or memorial but no suitable organizations offered to take the vessel.

The Forrestal is currently docked in Philadelphia.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...#ixzz2ibzP9Lcu

My take, seriously ...1 penny ??

It is bullshit on so many levels

That may be accurate. It's probably FULL of asbestos.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

What a slap in the face to the memory of the 134 men that died in the fire, and the others that were gravely injured.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        What a slap in the face to the memory of the 134 men that died in the fire, and the others that were gravely injured.
        Money doesnt equal respect.

It costs money to maintain even as a drydocked museum. Where ya goona park it?

if everyone turned everything into a goddamned memorial we'd be tripping over shit to go to the bathroom.

Better let it go to scrap and be reused than waste away or sunk as an artificial reef. (Which still costs a ton of money in cleanup)

Comment

I understand that, but one stinking penny? Come on.
          "The company's offer was based on its estimate of how much it can net from the sale of metal from the Forrestal." I find that VERY hard to believe.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Im just glad the gov didnt find a way to pay someone to scrap it.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
              I understand that, but one stinking penny? Come on.
              "The company's offer was based on its estimate of how much it can net from the sale of metal from the Forrestal." I find that VERY hard to believe.
              After the cost of moving it, labor, ect, I can see it not being a huge profit.
              07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                After the cost of moving it, labor, ect, I can see it not being a huge profit.
                Use the Oriskany as an example:

Ship remediation (BMP-related) $8.28M
                Flight deck remediation (BMP-related) $3.61M
                PCB model and risk assessment development (BMP-related) $3.74M
                Towing and berthing $3.07M
                Scuttling preparation and execution $4.90M

$15 million to clean it up and get all of the crap out.
                $8 million just to tow and sink it.

Nobody wanted it as a museum and there wasn't a $23 million budget for sinking it somewhere else in the world.

It uses a ton of resources and labor to dismantle a ship so whoever buys it is going to be spending a metric shit ton of money to break it down into scrap. After they sell the scrap metal and subtract their costs - theres the profit.

Scrap metal is cheap and labor is expensive. Best to get the source of the material as cheap as possible.

Would people still be upset if it was sold for $100,000? $1,000,000? At that point the only difference is coddling your sensitive emotions. Harden the fuck up, its just a boat.

Comment

The company will probably sell it to Mexico and they will drag it from Brownsville.

Comment

One cent, sounds like nobody even wanted to place a bid if they won it for one cent.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The carrier I served on for 5 years uses the anchors from the Forrestal. As an ABH I can't tell you how many times they made us watch the video of the fire from that accident. What we learned about fighting fires in the Hangar Bay/Flight Deck comes from that incident or should I say a lot of what we do now is based off what they didn't do or have back then.
                      Steve Riss | Forum Administrator
                      CJ Pony Parts, Inc.
                      1-800-888-6473 ext. 143

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | YouTube | CJ Blog

Comment

Sad, but it is a semi-common fact. I know where a static-displayed F111 is that supposedly contains more than $1M in gold in it. The problem is the extraction would cost $2-2.5M.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          One cent, sounds like nobody even wanted to place a bid if they won it for one cent.
                          ding... This company was the only ones dumb enough to to scrap it

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            ding... This company was the only ones dumb enough to to scrap it
                            Either that or all the others wanted the government to pay them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              Either that or all the others wanted the government to pay them for it.
                              This, is the 'ding'....

A bunch of scrappers expected to get paid to take it, cut it up, and make a profit.

BTW.. it still taxpayers a lot of coin to get a scrapper to take it. It's been sitting on the books for years and can you imagine the red tape, lawyers, and related bureaucracy in getting rid of an aircraft carrier?
                              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X