Not entitled to a raise, ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not entitled to a raise, ever?

A friend just started a new job this week.

Today they asked her to sign a letter saying she is never entitled to a raise, ever.

Anyone ever hear of this? She didn't sign it and told them she wasn't informed this would be a condition of the position up front.

I've never heard of this.

Accounting position, BTW.
    WRX

That's a new one on me.

Comment

Wow if that is how they play sounds like I would be spending my spare time looking for another new job.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Never heard of it before. I like the sentiment behind it, though. As an employee, you're not entitled to raises. Raises must be earned. If you don't earn it, you don't get it. Seems simple enough to me.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Never heard of it before. I like the sentiment behind it, though. As an employee, you're not entitled to raises. Raises must be earned. If you don't earn it, you don't get it. Seems simple enough to me.

While true, depending on the wording I don't think I'd sign it either.

Comment

I like it.

Take the job, work a while, then find a better paying job and explain you're leaving because you wanted a raise.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I would give them a letter to sign stating that they are not entitled to ask me to do more than the bare minimum work load, ever.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

What's the point of the letter? It's not like any employer is obligated to give an employee a raise. Well, generally speaking of course, with the exception of union BS, or other one off type deals.

Comment

Shit, I've had a signed letter from the HR director giving me a salary and a raise and they reneged on it.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

probably so they can't be sued for discrimination by some lazy-ass titty baby who is butt hurt that everybody else is getting raises
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I haven't had a raise since 02 but I work off commission with bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        probably so they can't be sued for discrimination by some lazy-ass titty baby who is butt hurt that everybody else is getting raises
                        This. It's a CYA letter so when a year rolls around, people aren't raising hell about not magically getting a raise.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I agree raises should absolutely be earned, and she is not the type to expect anything she hasn't worked hard for.

Very strange to understand the intention of the letter. But you may be right it is to protect themselves from someone wanting to play the victim card to get something for free.

Coincidentally her old company contacted her today as well asking her to come back.

Quite the dilemma as the new position:

-healthy-ish bump in Salary
                          -Free breakfast/snack each day
                          -Free lunch twice a week.
                          -24 hour available gym on-site
                          -100/mo cash allowance to cover medical/dental/vision
                          -slightly better benefits overall
                          -No micromanagement
                          WRX

Comment

Doesn't sound like much of a dilemma at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                              I agree raises should absolutely be earned, and she is not the type to expect anything she hasn't worked hard for.

Very strange to understand the intention of the letter. But you may be right it is to protect themselves from someone wanting to play the victim card to get something for free.

Coincidentally her old company contacted her today as well asking her to come back.

Quite the dilemma as the new position:

-healthy-ish bump in Salary
                              -Free breakfast/snack each day
                              -Free lunch twice a week.
                              -24 hour available gym on-site
                              -100/mo cash allowance to cover medical/dental/vision
                              -slightly better benefits overall
                              -No micromanagement
                              Quantify the "value" of all of those things in her mind, then ask the old company for a raise to offset that.

Comment

Working...
                              X