Ay Chihuahua!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ay Chihuahua!!

I know this isn't big news or even news at all in the metroplex, but people are pissed and up in arms here. Our new Triple A Baseball team has been named The El Paso Chihuahuas. I'm just excited that we're getting minor league baseball to watch after years of non-affiliated baseball.

After months of buildup and speculation and debate, El Paso's new Triple-A baseball team finally got its nickname late Tuesday afternoon at the Plaza Theatre.

"Let's hear it for your El Paso Chihuahuas," announced the team's general manager, Brad Taylor.

The Plaza Theatre's lower level was packed with area Little League Baseball players and a smattering of military and media, and the announcement was greeted with a warm response ... not a great response, but a warm one.

Team President Alan Ledford called it, "A celebration of the next step in our organization."

The colors were red, black and Chihuahua tan, and the logos pictured a snarling Chihuahua dog.

There were five different styled caps and various T-shirts and other souvenirs already on sale at a gift shop around the corner at 303 N. Oregon, Suite 120.

The team mascot will be introduced at a later date.

"I hope everyone will embrace this," Ledford said. "I know for some, it will take time."

Daniel Chavez, a local high school coach, said, "Chihuahuas? Oh, wow. We better be good."

Joe Torres, a local fan who brought his young son, Christopher, to the event, said: "Aah, it's OK. I think they would have done a little better with Desert Gators or something else."

Christopher, 10, wearing a baseball jersey and cap, smiled and said, "They should have picked another name."

But his father added: "We'll still go. We're big, big baseball fans. Since we lost the Diablos, the nearest real baseball was the Diamondbacks (in Phoenix)."

Of course, that is the theory anyway. Once the team begins playing games in April, it will be about the atmosphere and the baseball.

There was plenty of atmosphere Tuesday at the Plaza -- with hundreds of little boys and girls in their baseball uniforms, right down to free popcorn and even peanuts and Cracker Jacks (right out of the "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" song) in the lobby.

The five finalists in the mascot naming process were Aardvarks, Buckaroos, Chihuahuas, Desert Gators and Sun Dogs.

And so why Chihuahuas?

"Fun ... fun," said Taylor, standing outside the team's new gift shop, watching a packed crowd buy merchandise. "This is fun. Think about grabbing onto this little guy. We have all different style caps, something for everyone. There is a product experience for everyone. I think within the next six to seven months you will see people embracing the brand. When they see all the great events we will host in the new minor major league park here in El Paso, they will see that this is what we are.

"This is for children and families and fun," Taylor said. "Give us a chance. See the consistent experience people will get coming into the park each night."

Earlier, before the announcement, Taylor told the assembled audience, "Scoreboards all across the country will show it. Future San Diego Padres will wear it. Newspapers everywhere will run it."

Brandiose, a design firm in San Diego, helped bring the Chihuahua look to life. The firm has dreamed up more than 50 team names and graphics, including brands for the Richmond Flying Squirrels and the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. The group met with members of the organization and El Pasoans to get a feel for what might work here.

El Paso Chihuahuas
    What do you think of the name for the new Triple-A baseball team? Read story

It's a great choice.
    I would have preferred another name better.
    I think it's offensive.
    Not sure.

"The Chihuahuas brand embodies El Paso's values of independence, community pride and a fighting spirit," said Casey White, one of the Brandiose partners. "Fans will love seeing El Paso's Chihuahuas and the Downtown ballpark will offer a world-class fan experience that will come to life next spring."

Still, not everyone is convinced.

Raeleen Raygoza was there with her baseball-playing son, daughter and nephew.

"It is fun and I know that's what they are going for," she said. "I think it's very stereotypical. It's all bark, no bite."

But Raquel Raygoza, 11, said: "I think it was OK. It will be fun."

And 8-year-old Rulis Raygoza, said, "It was OK ... I guess."

Her nephew, 10-year-old Nathan Reyna, said: "I like it. It was cool."

Most importantly, though, Raeleen Raygoza said, "It will still be fun going to the games, doing something as a family."

Christopher Romero, who brought his grandsons, said, "I like it, but not that much."

Grace Dixon, who brought her son, said: "I liked Desert Gators. I think it represents El Paso better ... with the alligators we used to have in the plaza."

Luis Solis, 10, smiled, shook his head and said, "I didn't like any of the names."

But Noel Solis, 12, said: "I liked it. I think it will be fun."

The debate will continue. The opinions will vary. There is, after all, a little more than five months before the first pitch will be thrown, before baseball will become a Downtown staple.

"Look at the name through the eyes of a child and you can't help but smile," Ledford said. "That's what we're all about."

The group has said again and again that their core audience is children and families. The product they are selling is baseball and fun.

That will all bubble to the surface on the spring night of April 11, when the umpire yells, "Play ball!" and children with big eyes and bigger dreams flock to the shiny new stadium in Downtown El Paso to see future major leaguers, to eat some popcorn, peanuts and Cracker Jacks -- and, of course, to have fun.

And cheer for the Chihuahuas.

lol, fail. That has to be one of the dumbest names. You choose an animal reviled for his annoyance and weakness.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

that's a fucked up name for any sports team

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        lol, fail. That has to be one of the dumbest names. You choose an animal reviled for his annoyance and weakness.
        I love chihuahua's but yeah that's a dumb name for a baseball team.

Comment

Is Kenny Powers pitching for them?

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
            Is Kenny Powers pitching for them?
            La Flama Blanca!

Comment

the el paso cartels!

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Still better than the Pelicans.

Comment

Ya most people here are bashing the ownership group for selecting that mascot. There's even a petition floating around online for them to change the name. IMO it's amazing marketing on their part. It's controversial, it's kinda stupid, but it's getting people talking that's for sure. And I think come April everyone will have forgotten the stupid name and attend the games. I know I'll be in my seat come opening night ready to see a game at the bad ass new stadium!

Comment

Taco Bell will probably be a paid sponsor...

Comment

I bet they'll be better than the Lastros and will have more attendance than the Marlins.

Comment

I'd be pissed off for naming them after the Mexican state right south of El Paso, more than the dog. This is America, goddamnit.
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                          I'd be pissed off for naming them after the Mexican state right south of El Paso, more than the dog. This is America, goddamnit.
                          You know that's the main reason they did that.. To get build the Juarez fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                            You know that's the main reason they did that.. To get build the Juarez fan base.
                            That's where a heavy majority of the money comes from, in this city. Especially around the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
                              That's where a heavy majority of the money comes from, in this city. Especially around the holidays.
                              I know, remember I used to live in both places! (El Paso and Juarez)

Comment

Working...
                              X