Wedding rings are F-ing dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding rings are F-ing dangerous

After flying yesterday while packing up to leave, something happened that had never crossed my mind. One of my 2200 milliamp 4 cell 14.8 volt batteries grounded out on my titanium wedding ring!
    As I picked up two batteries to put them in the lipo safe box I carry them in (safety first lol), I heard a loud crack and long hiss, honestly sounded just like when you start laying a bead with a welder. And sure enough the terminals were stuck to my damn ring. I yanked my hand back as hard as I could, and ripped myself loose. The inside of my ring was glowing ware it had been hit. I grabbed it and fast as I could and ripped it of my burning hand and according to my wife chucked it in the parking lot. While all that was happening I heard a womans scream that I was sure was me. Lol, but turns out it was the an older pilots wife who was the only one besides me to see what was happening. My wife, and the guy next to her thought I’d cut myself, so when I asked for ice they were confused. And when my wife picked up my ring it being hot to the touch puzzled her even more. A good flying buddy quickly sacrificed his fast food Styrofoam cup of coke and gave me the ice. Ouch, be careful guys! I take my ring off to work with power tools, and while wrenching on cars, but never thought about it being a problem flying rc planes. Painful lesson learned.
    Right after it happened (the black marks are charred skin):

My Ring

What it looks like today

Guy I work with got his ring caught on something and it ripped his whole finger off...

Comment

And that's why I always take mine off when doing anything. There are some jewelry safety videos floating around that'll make you do the same. Single for the moment!!
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Did the same thing with a car battery. For some reason I was taking off the positive side with a long extension, ratchet hit the AC line, and boom! Melted the ring a tiny bit, but it was very brief so it wasn't that bad. Threw some sparks. Surprised the shit out of me though! lol

Comment

I'm trying to decide if I will go back to wearing one or not after my finger heals. For right now it's not an option, I can't ever straiten my finger all the way, it's blistered pretty badly.

Comment

My wedding ring sits in the safe. I wore it the first six months we were married but it spent more time in my pocket instead of my hand at work so I finally just threw it in the safe.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I don't wear one at all. I weld almost every day and when I'm not welding my hands are dirty and greasy with some project. Thankfully the wife doesn't care.

Comment

I don't think my wife would have been okay with me ditching the ring until she saw what happened yesterday. Now she says it is okay if I choose to abandon it.

Comment

I have been married 12 years and I have never wore a wedding ring. Tons of electrical crap on the aircraft that I work on.
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

I think I wore mine a week.

Comment

This is why I were a Ceramic/Carbon Fiber ring. I work with electrical and telecom stuff all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                        Guy I work with got his ring caught on something and it ripped his whole finger off...
                        Damn near happened to me. I was jumping over a conveyor system while holding on to a piece of uni-strut overhead. Felt a hard tug as I was coming down. Gratefully, the finger was still there but my ring had pulled the skin up to the knuckle and was resting underneath the skin. I fished it out and managed to get it off. Wrapped the paperwork I had around it, finished what I was doing, then went to the doctor. Had to have it stitched up and in a cast for a month or so. The base of my finger is much bigger, but no other issues.

Comment

The moral of the story is: marriage means death for fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                            Happened to my sister flipping power switch on above auto door. Jumped up to flip it and off it went. Luckily she was already at Charlton lol.

Comment

wearing a ring never entered my mind... my grandparents were married 75yrs and my grandfather never wore a ring.

Glad everybody still has their digits!
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X