F-150 Owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Owners?

I have been saving and looking to buy a used truck cash, Went and looked at a 04 Crew Cab Fx4 with 87k on the clock, I noticed back bumper had a dent in it, It was small but Looks like something knocked the hell out of it. Well I looked passed that and Went to test drive it. I nailed it getting on the highway and It was a Dog, I could hear the engine screaming but It was picking up speed really slow, I passed on buying Because I'm looking for a Gas truck to pull my Fox with and this didn't feel like it could do it, Plus when I Popped the hood I noticed the Upper top on the Engine had already been Disassembled, Everyone I talk to says the 5.4s have no power/torque and to stay away from them. What do you guys think about it? Really looking for yall's input about the 5.4 Or what gas truck/Engine do you guys recommend buying? I'm looking for something between 7-8 Grand. Sorry for the long Read But I would like more input before I go spend that much money on a truck.
    Street car.

In that price any 5.3 gm.
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
      In that price any 5.3 gm.
      I have been thinking about that too, I was told on them not to worry about mileage too much because of how cheap it would be to replace the engine.
      Street car.

Comment

You'll end up doing phasers and shit in 30-50k, and its gonna get terrible mileage, even downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by DriveWayBuilt View Post
          I have been thinking about that too, I was told on them not to worry about mileage too much because of how cheap it would be to replace the engine.
          Sub 500. I hear of 250-300 dollar ones every few months. Trans is the main weak point. But they should be a dime a dozen too
          07 f250-family truckster
          08 Denali -baby hauler
          52 f1-rust bucket
          05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

I have a 2001 crewcab 5.4 runs great It was my dads he's had it 8 years just got it from him never had any major issuses. replaced ball joints, bad window regulator.I bet i have put more miles on it then he did in those 8 years plenty power, (I bought a 97 f150 2v couple summers ago wanna talk about a turd didnt have it long)

Comment

My tournament partner has a Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 in it. Pulling his 21' Skeeter, it will barely get out of its own way. We tried to pass a slow moving vehicle on a 2-lane country highway a while back and had to abort because the road starting going uphill a decent bit and we could no longer accelerate. It's pathetic at best.

My dad just bought a similar truck (Chevy with the 5.3) 6 months ago and he regrets the purchase because it's just too weak. He also pulls a boat regularly and it struggles to maintain a decent speed on the highway. He's had 3 F150's with the 5.4 (plus countless F150's before those) and says he'll go back to that when he sells this one.

Comment

Find you a nice 7.3 Turbo. The old bodystyles get the best mileage and will pull anything you ever need.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If 04 is drive by wire like my 06, that is what they do.

Comment

Why do you want to stick with an F150? My 250 with the 6.8 will pull a house, accelerate, up a hill. Towing a 30 foot travel trailer at 70 isn't an issue except it does love gas.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by DriveWayBuilt View Post
                      If the 5.3 is maintained, mileage shouldn't be an issue.

<-----312k and counting on mine.

Comment

I love my 02 F150 Supercrew FX4 Lariat. 5.4 with 120k and it runs great. I did plugs not more than 2k miles ago and a battery my last trip home (it sits WAY too much) and that is the extent of the maint is has needed in the 5 years I have owned it.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                          My tournament partner has a Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 in it. Pulling his 21' Skeeter, it will barely get out of its own way. We tried to pass a slow moving vehicle on a 2-lane country highway a while back and had to abort because the road starting going uphill a decent bit and we could no longer accelerate. It's pathetic at best.

My dad just bought a similar truck (Chevy with the 5.3) 6 months ago and he regrets the purchase because it's just too weak. He also pulls a boat regularly and it struggles to maintain a decent speed on the highway. He's had 3 F150's with the 5.4 (plus countless F150's before those) and says he'll go back to that when he sells this one.
                          I didn't have any issues pulling my dads rv. It was 8-9000lbs. I wasn't aware there was a load leveling hitch with it so it bounced my ass around but it pulled just fine. All hills
                          07 f250-family truckster
                          08 Denali -baby hauler
                          52 f1-rust bucket
                          05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Find you a nice 7.3 Turbo. The old bodystyles get the best mileage and will pull anything you ever need.
                            I went to look at a 99 with the 7.3, It was a crew cab/dually with 220k miles. He wanted 6700, I almost purchased but It had a real bad vibration at idle and needed ball joints and other stuff so I passed. I have seen lots of Trucks with the 6.0 but I heard to stay away from them also.
                            Street car.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteboy View Post
                              I have a 2001 crewcab 5.4 runs great It was my dads he's had it 8 years just got it from him never had any major issuses. replaced ball joints, bad window regulator.I bet i have put more miles on it then he did in those 8 years plenty power, (I bought a 97 f150 2v couple summers ago wanna talk about a turd didnt have it long)
                              My buddy has an 01 crew cab and his feels like It could pull anything too. I'm assuming the one I test drove was just wore out or something already.
                              Street car.

Comment

Working...
                              X