To Buy or Not Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Buy or Not Buy

Considering if I should purchase a new truck or not. I currently drive a 2001 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 but starting to have issues with it. First major issue is that I'm going through about a quart of oil a month. I have no idea where it is going. There are no signs of leaks & I don't see any smoke from the exhaust. Next issue is a couple of rust spots on the roof & when it rains it leaks into the inside from the console mounted on the head liner. It will also turn off on me every once in a while when sitting at idle for a long period of time & then takes hours for it to turn back on.

Truck has about 145K miles & is paid off. I really like not having a payment but also need a dependable truck. If it wasn't for the oil consumption I'd fix the rust spots & repaint the entire truck. Just not sure if it is worth putting money into it considering the oil problem. What do you fellas think?

Thanks!

All things considered, I'd Bondo the lid and keep rolling. A quart a month is not what I would consider "excessive" at all. In the meant time, drive it and stash a few bucks away in the interim to help with a down payment. I'd drive it till it pukes and leave it on the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      All things considered, I'd Bondo the lid and keep rolling. A quart a month is not what I would consider "excessive" at all. In the meant time, drive it and stash a few bucks away in the interim to help with a down payment. I'd drive it till it pukes and leave it on the side of the road.
      Thanks man! That is what I have been thinking.

Comment

My guess is its leaving the engine via leakage or burnage

Comment

Live life like Obama - riddled with debt and enjoy the ride!

Comment

Just check the oil when you put gas in it and fix the rust. When something more major happens you can revisit but I wouldn't pickup a payment just based on the issues you have. Stash cash for a new motor or pay cash for the next one.
            Originally posted by Sean88gt
            As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Comment

145K and only a quart month? wouldnt worry about it. my chebby burns a quart every 4-5 tanks of fuel no biggie. if it isnt blowing smoke out keep driving it

Comment

I still have full coverage insurance on it. Wonder if they cover vandalism. Someone took a key or other object all around my truck & added there touch to it.

Comment

Shit, that isn't anything. Drive that motherfucker until the wheels fall off, then blame a pelican and choo$$$.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Dump it and start over.

Comment

Keep it ... car payments = da debil.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                          Keep it ... car payments = da debil.
                          Ol Bill didnt get you in for 99 a month?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                            Ol Bill didnt get you in for 99 a month?
                            The Yaris payment is less than that.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Get a separate bank account and transfer 300 a month into it and DON'T touch it. That will let you know how a car payment will feel and if your ready for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X