Naked, Starved, and Famous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naked, Starved, and Famous

Have you guys ever heard of this? Asians really are crazy.

Denpa Shonen’s Nasubi: Naked, Starved, and Famous

Japan is a country that is infamous for pushing human comfort levels and no show exemplifies this notion better than Susunu! Denpa Shonen. This reality show reeled in viewers by focusing on the suffering of a naked contestant who was locked up in a small space without food or basic amenities.

The contestant was a little known Japanese comedian called Nasubi (real name Tomoaki Hamatsu). He landed this unusual gig when he and a number of other hopefuls auditioned for a vague up-and-coming showbiz event. Thereafter, he was whisked away to an unknown location, relieved of his clothing and told to win $10,000.

He was supposed to achieve this by winning mail-in contests.

The show itself started on January 1998 and it took close to one year for Nasubi to nab the $10,000. He won his first meal two weeks after the show had started. He got his first recreational accessory, albeit an antenna-less TV, four months into the game and his first two rolls of toilet paper towards the end of his ordeal.

To this effect, the show appears to have thrived by exploring lengthy periods of anguish and brief moments of joy. In fact, it is possible that show creators might have withheld some prizes in order to manipulate the flow of the show. After all, Nasubi never won anything that might have provided him with the most basic comforts – e.g. clothes, dishes, soap, a bed, sheets and blankets, pots and pans.

That such a strange show was conceived and implemented is not that unusual. As it is, Japan has a genre called gambaru which focuses on pushing human tolerance levels. The “claim to fame” possibilities tied to gambaru is probably the reason why Nasubi accepted the terms so readily. It could also be why the show was immensely popular in its heyday.

And so it happened that when Nasubi finally reached the sum total in December, the show producers were reluctant to give up their cash cow.

It was for this reason that unsuspecting contestant was whisked off, without explanation, on a celebratory and somewhat baffling tour of Korea after which he ended up in the same dilemma. Except this time, he was cooped up in a room in Korea and had to win the ticket money back home. The comedian had finally had his fill and probably realized he had in fact won.

After many pleas, he was taken back to Japan. And then dropped into the middle of a live audience in his trademark pose – in the nude and adorning only a confused expression. That was when he realized that he had became a famous celebrity and that his ordeal had been broadcast without his knowledge.

Nasubi has since given up such comedic ventures and tried his hand at stage shows. While he has not been overtly critical of his experience, he has noted moments of extreme despair.

“I thought of escaping several times… I was on the edge, especially towards the end.”
    Google for a few weird pics....

When the government pays, the government controls.

What!? The!? Fuck!?

It's probably a good thing this human nature study was done in a place where guns are hard to come by.

Comment

You should see them on vacation! They flooded Guam because it was their cheapest tropical option. A couple of cops told me that every time they had to go calm a hotel party, it was like watching those crazy Jap shows.

More of them than you think are inured or die from acting out EVERYTHING they see on TV

Comment

They are punishing themselves for losing WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post

"Not sure if we nuked 'em too much, or not enough..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            No man, that was JAPON:

Originally posted by got hp
            Yeah if you have a problem with that then your fucked. period.
            More than 75% of the people living in the US ARE IMMIGRANT'S FROM ALL
            OVER THE WORLD, ASIA, EUROPE, IRACK, MEXICO, JAPON, ETC........
            THAT ITS HOW THE US BE COME A NATION, WHEN PEOPLE WHERE KICKED
            OUT FROM EUROPE, IN THE WORLD WAR TWO.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Valid point. They're all mathematicians to me.

Comment

Working...
              X