Off duty cop tries to arrest soldier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty cop tries to arrest soldier.

As a confrontation at a restaurant in Columbia, S.C., quickly spun out of control, a witness began video recording the incident involving an off-duty deputy and a female soldier. The video shows the deputy attempting to arrest the soldier following an argument at the establishment.

However, veteran deputy and former U.S. Marine Paul Derrick, 49, was ultimately arrested and charged with assault after police reviewed the cellphone video and determined the cop acted inappropriately. He has also been placed on leave without pay following the Oct. 7 incident at Buffalo Wild Wings.

It all started when Derrick reportedly approached the female soldier, 23-year-old Brittany Bell from Fort Jackson, who was apparently upset at the time. She reportedly brushed Derrick off and the two began arguing.

Derrick, who was not in uniform, left the restaurant and retrieved his handcuffs, badge and firearm from his vehicle, according to police. Both individuals were reportedly drinking alcohol.

WIS-TV explains how the incident played out:

Derrick overpowered Ball, handcuffed her, pulled her to her feet, and slammed her head into a metal table, the report states. Ball, according to the report, was also drinking alcohol.

In the video, Derrick can be seen trying to force Ball to stand up after cuffing her hands behind her back.

At one point Ball is positioned over a table, and the table collapses.

A police officer who reviewed video of the incident reports hearing Derrick say, “This is how Marines deal with soldiers,” while slamming the woman into the table.

Watch the stunning video below:

wistv.com – Columbia, South Carolina |

It was not immediately clear if the deputy felt he had probable cause to arrest Bell that night.

When management later tried to intervene, as is customary with an unruly patron, Derrick ordered everyone to back away.

The Columbia Police Department eventually responded to the scene. But rather than backing up the deputy, the officers put him in handcuffs after reviewing the cellphone video shot by patron Steven Hughes.

“He watched maybe the first 30 seconds of it. And when he heard the Marine-Army comment he said, ‘Alright, things just changed. Arrest him, 10-37, and release her.’ And that’s when I said, ‘Sir, I know it’s hard, but that’s the right thing,’” Hughes told WIS-TV.

Police will hold a news conference on Wednesday to discuss the incident and possibly release more information.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I'm glad that he actually got arrested. I didn't watch the video but does it show why all this started? I hope that officer gets canned.

Comment

The fact that she is a soldier is completely irrelevant to the story.

Comment

Totally off-topic but: "Steven Hughes"??

Isn't that Dammitsteve's name?

Aaron - Maybe they are saying a part of the issue is that she was in the Army and he was a Marine? Which was part of the reason he treated her the way he did? I'm assuming she was Army because typically they refer to Army as "Soldiers" while Marines are referred to as "Marines".

Comment

Actually it is very relevant. The cop in question made a comment about why he was treating her the way he was, and that was because she was a soldier.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

That video is infuriating. What a chickenshit motherfucker.

Comment

What a tough guy.
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Is it Ball, or Bell?
                sigpic

Comment

Everyone else just standing around...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post

A dude with a gun and a badge is going nuts and has been drinking, I can't really say with any certainty what I would've done in that situation either. Definitely would've called 911 and got more cops on the scene.

Comment

Trololol?
                      No happy ending would've come trying to bow up to a drunk and armed cop.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        A dude with a gun and a badge is going nuts and has been drinking, I can't really say with any certainty what I would've done in that situation either. Definitely would've called 911 and got more cops on the scene.
                        Several other soldiers with her? One drunk, aged, overweight off-duty officer acting like that?

If his gun wasn't in his hand, he could have easily been subdued.

As soon as he went to his vehicle and brought back his service gun while intoxicated, he needed to be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                          Trololol?
                          No happy ending would've come trying to bow up to a drunk and armed cop.
                          I got your lololo

Comment

Several other soldiers with her? One drunk, aged, overweight off-duty officer acting like that?

If his gun wasn't in his hand, he could have easily been subdued.

As soon as he went to his vehicle and brought back his service gun while intoxicated, he needed to be stopped.
                            As has been evidenced and recommended many times on this board alone, confronting / questioning a police officer on the scene is rarely going to end well for the "civilian" (ie non-LE). Off duty or not, drunk or not, once he identified himself as a cop, anyone on the scene would have been a fool to try and intervene. It just so happened that in this case the "boys" did not immediately back the guy in "blue".

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              As has been evidenced and recommended many times on this board alone, confronting / questioning a police officer on the scene is rarely going to end well for the "civilian" (ie non-LE). Off duty or not, drunk or not, once he identified himself as a cop, anyone on the scene would have been a fool to try and intervene. It just so happened that in this case the "boys" did not immediately back the guy in "blue".
                              Ya you're right. It was probably best to just let him twist her arms while in cuffs and manhandle her.

Seriously, that video would have been perfect justification for interjection and utilizing force to terminate the immediate threat to her.

Comment

Working...
                              X