Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess a career at Lowes is out of the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
    The policy protects the company from liabilities, if someone were to get injured it would cost more than the loss of the item.
    Sort of...

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    I used to have this line of thinking. And on the surface it makes perfect sense. However, you need to look beyond the surface. They have this policy for one reason, and one reason only. Liability. It isn't about employee safety. It is only there to shield themselves from a lawsuit, period. Employers don't give two shits about employee safety, the only care about not getting sued.

Beyond that, in most retail corporate environments, managers are graded on store revenue, and store shrink. Theft falls under shrink in most cases. You, under no circumstances, should be legally allowed to incentivize lower shrink rates, and have a policy like this to shield from liability. It is effectively talking out of both sides of their mouths.
    What you said. Corporations are a cowardly lot. They'd rather have 20 wrong things happen than one person doing the right thing.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

That's what I was saying...

Comment

So I can walk into lowes and grab some shit and just walk out? Nobody will stop me? Hum....

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          So I can walk into lowes and grab some shit and just walk out? Nobody will stop me? Hum....
          Just cover or steal some plates and oddly it seems like you'd be fine.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Or Walmart or any chain store. I got in a lot of trouble for stopping a shoplifter who was loading up a riding lawnmower into his truck.
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

i worked retail for five years and didn't give two shits if you stole from my store!!! they have security personnel to do that job

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                i worked retail for five years and didn't give two shits if you stole from my store!!! they have security personnel to do that job
                So what difference is there if a normal employee does it vs LP? Isn't there liability either way.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                  So what difference is there if a normal employee does it vs LP? Isn't there liability either way.
                  Guessing the overall training. One is "trained" to do it the other is not.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Guessing the overall training. One is "trained" to do it the other is not.
                    Makes no sense if liability is your main concern. A trained person is more of a liability.

Comment

I worked at Home Depot when I graduated high school. We had a manager get fired for helping LP stop a known repeat shoplifter. They were very strict regarding who actually laid hands on thieves. The LP guys would literally kick feet out from under running shoplifters, tackle them, throw them through the sliding glass doors (that was something to see)... But if a manager gave chase his ass was 86'd.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Makes no sense if liability is your main concern. A trained person is more of a liability.
                        Well, I'm just taking an educated guess overall.

It's like two people with the same skill set. If one has a certification to do it and another does not - if there is a mistake with the one that is certified - you can indicate precautions were taken - while allowing an uncertified person to make the mistake seems reckless. (at least in a court of law)

Comment

Its as simple as this.. there is nothing in my store that I will risk my life or my employees lives. Not gonna chase some idiot that is willing to do what ever to get away. I have been in that Spot with a shot gun in my face... "sure take all the CII drugs you want!"
                          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

A few years back Home Depot made national news over that exact policy. They also saw a rash of theft after the news coverage, that basically advertised as much.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              A few years back Home Depot made national news over that exact policy. They also saw a rash of theft after the news coverage, that basically advertised as much.

Old Navy had the same thing happen. Bunch of rocket scientists.

Comment

lost prevention is usually owned by a different company hired out to the retail stores

Comment

Working...
                                X