Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is dying

Cliffs Notes at bottom.

Our family dog, Cherry, who is only 3 years old, started having seizures on Saturday evening while my mom was out of town with her at a friend's house in Belton doing some painting. They rushed her to the emergency vet, who said it might be epilepsy. The dosed her with a large amount of anti-seizure medication and kept for for a few hours for observation. They said she didn't have any seizures, but my mom was unconvinced and thinks they were not observing very closely, because on the 20 minute ride back from the vet, she had 2 more terrible seizures. On the ride back from Belton to Dallas, she had several bad and a few minor seizures. When I went to see her on Monday she was in a terrible state. Barely moving, sauntering around when she did get up, mouth and tail slack, with extremely bloodshot eyes. Like a zombie. This is the most hyper dog you would have ever met, jumping and running and barking...totally not normal.

My mom saw three more vets here in Dallas, who all said epilepsy. Our regular vet was out of town until yesterday, so my mom had no choice but to do what the other vets said. She took her to the regular vet yesterday, who noticed that her muscles were getting a bit stiff and that she had major soreness in her neck, and asked my mom if there had been any strange behavior. My mom told her that she was walking backwards in circles and backing into things at home, which is strange because she doesn't like to walk backwards and resists even if you try to make her back up. The new gave a possible meningitis prognosis since it can cause seizures, disorientation, and ataxia, and put her on a heavy dose of anti inflammatory medicine, steroids, and super strong antibiotics.

Last night she seemed a little better, mouth less slack, bloodshot eyes gone, and more responsive, but she still couldn't get up and move and still had muscle stiffness and soreness in her neck. My mom said she had a vet appointment at 7 this morning to go in and be on an iv for antibiotics, fluids, and steroids.

My mom texted me this morning, about an hour ago, telling me that Cherry was doing much worse this morning when she woke up. Her front legs were outstretched and completely rigid, and her head was arched back and locked in that position. She could hardly get her to swallow anything. When she dropped her off at the vet this morning, the vet said that all the signs and symptoms are pointing to her original meningitis diagnosis.

Canine meningitis has a terribly high mortality rate. I don't know what to do. I'm torn up because she is the sweetest dog ever and I don't want to lose her. Not to mention she must be scared shitless, not knowing what is going on and I have no way to help her. I'm sitting at my desk here at work crying like a baby, and I don't know what else to do.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent here.

Cliffs Notes: My dog has meningitis and is dying and there's nothing I can do about it.

Don't know what to say man. I'm so sorry.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

That's horrible man. Brought tears to my eyes.
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I seriously can't even function right now. I'm so scared for her. This is the worst thing any of our animals has ever gone through and it looks so painful, and all we can do is wait to see if the meds work. If they dont work, we either let her live in pain until her brain swells too much and she dies, or we put her out of her misery with the last thing she remembers being the pain and anguish known by this stupid infection...

Comment

Sorry to hear man, I hope she makes it. Try to stay positive.

Comment

How high is the mortality rate? Make the hard choice man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                I seriously can't even function right now. I'm so scared for her. This is the worst thing any of our animals has ever gone through and it looks so painful, and all we can do is wait to see if the meds work. If they dont work, we either let her live in pain until her brain swells too much and she dies, or we put her out of her misery with the last thing she remembers being the pain and anguish known by this stupid infection...
                Dude, take some time off man, you never know....

Sorry for your pain but this is the only thing I could think of that might help you cope with the situation.

<---hope everything works out for the best of everyone involved
                Originally posted by Sean88gt
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I'm feeling for you man and think back to all my dogs that I loved dearly that have passed.

Making the decision is easy when it is time, it's still not easy to witness/deal with but there is no doubt when it's time to relieve them because nothing else will work.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I hope she pulls through.

Comment

Yeah, take a personal day. Just reading this I had to go roughhouse with my dog for twenty minutes.

Comment

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."

- Johnny Depp

Sorry, dude I'd be a mess also

Comment

Sorry to hear that man ....

Comment

My 4 year old rat terrier passed away a couple weeks ago. He started having labored breathing on a Saturday night. We took him to the ER vet Sunday morning and he was gone by mid afternoon. It's a terrible feeling to lose a dog so young.

Comment

Sorry to hear it dude. I know i've said it before but my pup is my best friend and i would be literally devastated to lose him, especially prematurely. Best wishes to you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                              X