• Show
Clear All

• Big Mother Truckin' Hornet!

Holy crap!

China struggles to control spate of hornet attacks as deaths rise
    Terry Prout

An Asian giant hornet.
    By Ed Flanagan, Producer, NBC News
    BEIJING – Authorities in northern China are struggling to control a spate of attacks by aggressive hornets that has now killed 42 people and injured at least 1,640.

Residents in the cities of Ankang, Hanzhong and Shangluo in Shaanxi province have been hardest hit, according to local news reports, with 206 people still in hospitals for treatment. Of those, 37 are said to be in critical condition.

The attacks are blamed on a particularly aggressive species of hornet known as the Asian giant hornet or Vespa mandarinia. At nearly two inches long with a two-and-a-half-inch stinger, the Asian giant hornet is the largest in the world and has a reputation as a relentless hunter that stalks its prey -- normally honey bees -- in coordinated attacks.

Advertise | AdChoicesThe Chinese health ministry has ordered local authorities to exterminate the hornet hives in densely populated areas. Local officials have issued fire departments with special protective suits and pesticides and say that hundreds of hives have already been destroyed.

A team of medical experts from Shanghai has also been deployed to oversee and provide treatment to victims.

Health minister Li Bin said in a statement Thursday that he was "paying close attention to the situation."

The unseasonably warm and dry weather in the region this fall – traditionally the normal breeding season for hornets – and continued human encroachment into hornet breeding grounds have been suggested as possible reasons for the recent rash of attacks.

Asian giant hornet queens can exceed 2 inches (5.5 centimeters) in length.
    Five times the size of a regular honey bee, one Asian giant hornet is capable of killing as many as 40 honey bees per minute. In humans, the venom released by this species of hornet is a potent neurotoxin that can cause violent allergic reactions and extreme bruising around the sting area.

State-run media have shown images of bed-ridden victims suffering from multiple stings that look like small stab wounds.

Shaanxi authorities have also urged citizens to wear long-sleeved clothing while outside and not to aggravate the hornets if they encounter them.

shotgun time!

Comment

Wow that is crazy! Look at those monsters

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
        shotgun time!
        Flame thrower

Comment

"...the stings look like stab wounds."

Comment

Can't believe with the standing 1miliion man army they can't kill a few bugs.

Comment

I saw a doco on this once. These guys were dressed like bee keepers and approached a hive in the middle of the woods. They were several fee away when some of the hornets started going right for their face aggressively, but the netted hat saved them. They say they aim for the eyes. Said it feels like a red hot nail being driven in the skin. They showed how the bastards would come up on a honey bee hive and decimate the hive. There are just some species of things it seems should just as well be made extinct.

Comment

I think I would use explosives . I am not afraid of any critters but dam I would want to murder those things if they were around .
                Big Rooster Racing

Comment

2" long with a 2 1/2" stinger?
                  "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Kill it with fire!!

Comment

re...

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
                        Kill it with fire!!
                        AGREED!

I hate these things with a passion, they will fucking chase you for miles!

Comment

Comment

Lmao ^^^

Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

report!!!!

nothing a few cans of carburetor cleaner wouldn't take care of

Comment

Working...
                              X