College Students arrested on Graduation Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Students arrested on Graduation Day

I know this is a sensitive subject. It's a few months old but I just came across it. Discuss...

College Students Arrested at Graduation Day

“I cannot let fear take over my life”
    College Students Arrested at Graduation Day SanDiegoRed

by Joy Ruvalcaba

March 20 2013

Hundreds of students from different colleges across the country live in fear every day of being arrested on graduation day. The reason why is because of their immigration status. But over the last two years, many of these students have faced their fears and have gathered outside the White House demanding to be heard.

One of these students that have now spoken out is Renata Teodoro, who is 22 years old and is studying at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. She told the Washington Post…

"I’m not going to lie and say I’m not afraid that someone will come and try to arrest me, but I cannot let fear take over my life."

Renata's parents were deported to Brazil a few years ago. And like many other young people who have been preparing and studying in the United States and for some reason have not been able to resolve their immigration status. She is finding herself in that same situation.

"The only way people will know my situation is by me telling my story." Teodoro said.

The reasons of why these types of actions are being executed by immigration authorities are unknown at the moment. Meanwhile through social networks this image of a young woman being arrested with her cap and gown has started to circulate around the world, which has had comments as being shameful and outrageous of what is happening in the "land of the free."

Fearing for their freedom, place where they call home and even their lives. Students who find themselves in this situation are not only from colleges, but also have been reported to be high school students who in one of the most important days of their life, find this unpleasant surprise.

joy.ruvalcaba@sandiegored.com

Omar.Martinez@sandiegored.com

Can graduate college, but can't do the proper things to become a citizen? No sympathy.

Comment

That was terribly written.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Arrest them.
        Send them to Mexico\wherever.
        Mark them with a debt if they took in-state tuition.

Have them blame their parents... as it is their fault.

Tired of articles telling me I should feel bad for these people when there are thousands who do it the correct way who can't get here.
        Last edited by Gargamel; 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

How do you make it all the way to college without ever having your paperwork checked? What the fuck is wrong with this country?
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Don't admit illegals to college, problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              How do you make it all the way to college without ever having your paperwork checked? What the fuck is wrong with this country?
              The same way you can buy a car or insurance without a driver's license. It's all about the almighty dollar. Nobody gives a fuck about legal status.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Can graduate college, but can't do the proper things to become a citizen? No sympathy.
                My sentiments exactly.

Comment

We have her name and where she attends college. Where are ICE raids when you need them?
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    We should have a brief conversation about California one day.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                    X