Nonfiction Adventure, gogogogo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonfiction Adventure, gogogogo

Since Strychnine has failed me, looking for some good books to read. Mountain climbing, surfing, traveling, crazy shit going wrong, whatevs. I've read Born to Run, The Right Stuff, and 127 Hours recently, and I'm looking for things sort of similar, though more endurance recreational based that anyone could walk out their door and do than The Right Stuff. Might be up for some good historical non fiction in the same vein, though I'd probably be interested in the late 1700's onward and American based, such as conquering the West and such. I'm looking for books about specific people though that lived the subjects, not books just about the subjects. Hook it up!

Anything written by or about John Muir.

Comment

Have you read The Big White Lie by Michael Levine?

I'm just getting started on it. Pretty interesting shit! NonFiction History.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Since Strychnine has failed me, looking for some good books to read. Mountain climbing, surfing, traveling, crazy shit going wrong, whatevs. I've read Born to Run, The Right Stuff, and 127 Hours recently, and I'm looking for things sort of similar, though more endurance recreational based that anyone could walk out their door and do than The Right Stuff. Might be up for some good historical non fiction in the same vein, though I'd probably be interested in the late 1700's onward and American based, such as conquering the West and such. I'm looking for books about specific people though that lived the subjects, not books just about the subjects. Hook it up!
        Have you read Into Thin Air? I really enjoyed that one. We MAY actually have a hard copy at the house.

I also have an abridged compilation of the Lewis and Clark journals that I really liked, if you want to borrow (though I know you prefer to buy and keep).

Comment

Touching the void.
          Great book, very powerful.

**edit**

Good movie, too.

Comment

"The Mathematics of Derivatives Securities with Applications in MATLAB"

No shit, "Boomerang" is a pretty good, short, interesting read. It does reference Michael Lewis' travels across Europe and CA post-crisis.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Read a book about The Mad Trapper of Canada. Basically some dude in the Canadian wilderness was a crazy asshole who took on 9 Mounties and 42 dogs with a lever gun. He climbed a 7000 foot mountain, killed more mounties (forcing them to retreat), concealed his tracks by walking behind caribou herds, and walked 85 miles in 3 days with no snow shoes or anything in the peak of the Canadian winter.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I don't recommend a lot of books (they're almost always a disappointment) but I think you would really enjoy reading this one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-First-War-Physics-1939-1949/dp/1605981974[/ame]
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

the cauliflower chronicles.

Comment

Haven't read any of the books mentioned. I'm usually fiction or New Journalism/ fiction blended with reality reader.

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                    Read a book about The Mad Trapper of Canada. Basically some dude in the Canadian wilderness was a crazy asshole who took on 9 Mounties and 42 dogs with a lever gun. He climbed a 7000 foot mountain, killed more mounties (forcing them to retreat), concealed his tracks by walking behind caribou herds, and walked 85 miles in 3 days with no snow shoes or anything in the peak of the Canadian winter.
                    Sounds interesting.

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    I don't recommend a lot of books (they're almost always a disappointment) but I think you would really enjoy reading this one.

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-War-.../dp/1605981974
                    Doesn't have much of a ringing first review. lol

Comment

Check out Last American Man. It's a profile of this crazy motherfucker Eustace Conway.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-Adventure-Americans-Everything/dp/0375760989/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380218464&sr=8-1&keywords=shadow+divers"]http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-Adventure-Americans-Everything/dp/0375760989/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380218464&sr=8-1&keywords=shadow+divers[/ame]

One of my favorite books.
                        Originally posted by Sean88gt
                        As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          Bitch, please. Your text, verbatim: "interesting non fiction that involves outdoor adventure. Gogogogo"

No question mark. No mention of looking for something to read. That sounded like a recommendation of a book, hence my "can't find it on amazon" and "link me" messages.

Anyway,

Anything by Jon Krakauer
                          Anything by Ed Visteurs

If you want historical awesome then go for John Muir.

Taking off now... Once we're in the air ill post more.

Comment

Wild - Cheryl Strayed
                            A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
                            Fire Season - Phillip Connors

If you're ok with some fiction then maybe grab some Jack London.

Comment

If you liked The Right Stuff go get Skunk Works by Ben Rich.

Comment

Working...
                              X