Some dumb questions about the new 5.0's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some dumb questions about the new 5.0's

I'm bored at work and have some questions. Bare with me, I haven't been keeping up with all the new 5.0 stuff so it's like i'm 18 all over again with my '89 coupe and don't know shit.

If anybody has done anything that i'm asking about, please chime in but i'm pretty sure even if you haven't, some of y'all assholes will chime in anyways.

-Pretty sure I have the standard 18x8 wheels on my car. But if i'm thinking about buying some rims would they look worth a shit staying with the same size? Or would it be better just to go up in size. Do 20" rims look worth a shit on these cars?

-If you have put a shifter in your car(m6), which shifter did you buy and how do you like it? I'm looking at a Hurst shifter

-If you have lowered it, which springs did you buy? Or which springs are "supposed" to have the closest to the stock ride cause I kind of like the way it rides at the moment.

-Is it worth getting at stock car tuned? Can you get any HP out of it? "They" claim you can get better gas mileage out of a tune, is this true?

-Lastly, what kind of oil do y'all run in the cars?

-Lastly lastly, how often do y'all use 93 octane? Or do y'all mostly just run 87?

Like I said, i'm bored at work and these things have been on my mind. Sorry if these seem dumb, but was just curious to what y'alls answers are.

Motorcraft oil and filter. I run mid grade. Which in some of the states I've been in is higher than their premium. No issues. You can get a pretty decent amount of hp out of a filter/tune combo. 20s look good, but you'll want to lower it at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      Motorcraft oil and filter. I run mid grade. Which in some of the states I've been in is higher than their premium. No issues. You can get a pretty decent amount of hp out of a filter/tune combo. 20s look good, but you'll want to lower it at the same time.

Yeah I figured it would look better lowered with the 20's. Or aftermarket 18's. Thinking i'm liking the charcoal gray rims the best with this car being silver

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post

Oh and this is synthetic oil, correct?

Comment

Wheel options are a bunch now, its what you prefer, but 19 inch tires are more expensive than 18's or 20's, I don't know why either.

I have an A6 so I cant recommend which shifter is best but I would go with what works and in the past the Pro 5.0 was king.

H&R's springs.

CAI and tune works best and maybe an axle back, I have GT500 mufflers and I lover them, not too loud, but under acceleration they rock!

I use 87 all the time and no problems and great mpg's. Every now and then I will splurge and pour in 93.

Oil, well I use Mobile 1 syn and change it at 10k intervals, but I do a filter change at 5k miles and add a quart. I but it at Walmart by the jug*, they are the cheapest and they carry FL500 oil filters too.

*These cars have 8 quart oil pans so I buy two at a time
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
            Oh and this is synthetic oil, correct?

It's blend, iirc.

Sidenote to H's post, if you get 19's the tires are expensive as fuck.

Comment

I'm not a fan of lowering these cars, I think the ride sucks afterwards, and with these stupid roads around here, scraping is always an issue.

I used Amsoil last change, usually Motorcraft like Talisman tho.

I see no reason not to use 87 octane, that is what it is tuned for, no reason to pay an extra 15 cents for a little more octane, unless it is tuned to take advantage of it.

I say exhaust, and be done with modding!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                Wheel options are a bunch now, its what you prefer, but 19 inch tires are more expensive than 18's or 20's, I don't know why either.

I have an A6 so I cant recommend which shifter is best but I would go with what works and in the past the Pro 5.0 was king.

H&R's springs.

CAI and tune works best and maybe an axle back, I have GT500 mufflers and I lover them, not too loud, but under acceleration they rock!

I use 87 all the time and no problems and great mpg's. Every now and then I will splurge and pour in 93.

Oil, well I use Mobile 1 syn and change it at 10k intervals, but I do a filter change at 5k miles and add a quart. I but it at Walmart by the jug*, they are the cheapest and they carry FL500 oil filters too.

*These cars have 8 quart oil pans so I buy two at a time

Just the mufflers or the axle back? Hell that might be the same thing lol
                Shit, maybe it's a cat back? See!! I've turned dumb as fuck

Comment

19" tire cost isn't as bad as it used to be, that being said I'd still do 20's on a new 5.0

Comment

The steeda ultralite springs give you a nice drop with IMO no ill effects to ride quality. 20 inch wheels look really good and fill the wheel well nicely. A tune will give you a pretty nice boost in hp that you will notice.

Comment

I'll also add, I've had mine for 10 months now and have gotten a mild desire to do something to it once or twice, then it has passed. This is by far the best "built right from the factory" car I've ever had(though admittedly, most of my cars have been previous Mustangs). The only thing that bothered me at first was the shifter, but I got used to it really quick and haven't thought about adding an aftermarket piece again in a long time. Give yourself some time driving it around getting used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                        Just the mufflers or the axle back? Hell that might be the same thing lol
                        Shit, maybe it's a cat back? See!! I've turned dumb as fuck
                        Yes just the mufflers, you can't beat them for the cost vs aftermarket. They are constructed of Stainless Steel, bolt right on and you can polish the fuck out of them and they look chrome (just the backside that faces rearward).
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          Yes just the mufflers, you can't beat them for the cost vs aftermarket. They are constructed of Stainless Steel, bolt right on and you can polish the fuck out of them and they look chrome (just the backside that faces rearward).
                          I've heard Henry really likes polishing the back side of things too.

Comment

If you are thinking about running 15 inch rims on the rears to run a tall drag radial, keep in mind there will be a clearance issue with the lower mounts for the sway bar. You will need to relocate the sway bar up about an inch and grind off the lower tab.

They make a kit for this, though I made my own brackets out of 1/4 inch flat steel.

Not a big job, though grinding things off a new vehicle is not for the faint of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                              I've heard Henry really likes polishing the back side of things too.
                              lmao!

Comment

Working...
                              X