Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it's my time to go, id rather go this way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it's my time to go, id rather go this way.

Racer dies behind the wheel during LeMons race

KERSHAW COUNTY (WACH) -- It's a somber race weekend at the 24-hours of Lemons Race in Kershaw County.

A City of Camden spokesperson tells WACH Fox that a preliminary report shows a man has died during the race.

Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthew's says he's learned the driver may have had a history of heart problems and officials believe he had a heart attack behind the wheel and crashed his car.

Matthew's points out first responders say the driver suffered no injuries from the crash and safety equipment inside the car did its job.

The coroner will be performing an autopsy and we expect to hear from the coroners office and officials of the Carolina Motor sports park in the coming days.

Matthew's says his office had deputies participating in the race and the driver behind the man who crashed caught it all on tape.

Officials plan to review the tape to determine what caused the crash.

The race is set to resume Sunday morning.

and a follow up:

A TRAGIC DAY AT LeMONS

Yesterday, a respected veteran competitor died while driving his car in the 24 Hours of LeMons in South Carolina. This tragedy has hit our community hard. Our deepest sympathies go out to the driver's family, friends, and teammates, many of whom were attending the race.

An onsite investigation was undertaken by the Kershaw County Sheriff's Department and Kershaw County Coroner's Office. The investigators found that the driver made no attempt to brake or steer prior to the incident; that all safety equipment appeared intact and functional; that the driver had no serious visible injuries; and that he had been wearing full safety gear including HANS. This morning, the Sheriff's Office informed us that the Kershaw County Coroner's Office determined a massive coronary event had been the cause of death.

Many racers in this afternoon's restart sported the missing driver's number on their cars. We're all deeply saddened by the loss of one of our own.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Wow, that's one way to exit. Did you know him?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      Wow, that's one way to exit. Did you know him?
      Never met the guy. I wanted to make this event since they have a party in town and all the cars drive from the track to the town square, but we race next weekend, so that didnt work out.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

When I worked at the dirt track back in highschool, (then named devils backbone) in Ardmore, OK, we had something similar happen. Guy had a heart attack going full out down the back straight, never braked or tried to turn and went airborn over the turn 3 embankment, flew about 60-70 feet... He ended up being ok in the end, but it was crazy to see.

RIP to the driver!
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

That is the second time this has happened at a Lemons race. A man named Court I believe went the same way in a race at Altamont several years ago. I can think of way worse ways to go....

Comment

went out like a boss!

Comment

sad to hear. Most comp licenses require a medical physical with EKG every 5 years and more often after age 50 for a reason.

Lemons may start doing the same.

Many bad things can happen on track. I've sat right seat for a guy I thought was about to code out on me. Told him to go in and he tells me his heart doctor told him he shouldn't do anything stressful....so he decides to drive his GTR on a race track. yeah...bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                sad to hear. Most comp licenses require a medical physical with EKG every 5 years and more often after age 50 for a reason.

Lemons may start doing the same.

Many bad things can happen on track. I've sat right seat for a guy I thought was about to code out on me. Told him to go in and he tells me his heart doctor told him he shouldn't do anything stressful....so he decides to drive his GTR on a race track. yeah...bad idea.
                I saw a post a few years ago, dude wore a heart rate monitor while driving, his was crazy high. Id imagine mine is too, but I am a hell of a lot more comfortable in my car than I am watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  When I worked at the dirt track back in highschool, (then named devils backbone) in Ardmore, OK, we had something similar happen. Guy had a heart attack going full out down the back straight, never braked or tried to turn and went airborn over the turn 3 embankment, flew about 60-70 feet... He ended up being ok in the end, but it was crazy to see.

RIP to the driver!
                  I remember that. My uncles raced at that track for years, many championships there. Still have family drive from okc to race there. Seems like a pretty nice track now days.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                    I remember that. My uncles raced at that track for years, many championships there. Still have family drive from okc to race there. Seems like a pretty nice track now days.
                    I went back for the first time in 15+ years since my uncle races there and invited us out. It's gotten a lot nicer than it was! Seems to be run pretty well now too.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Rip
                      WRX

Comment

Working...
                      X