Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here live on lake front property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a hella nice piece of property but needs a remodel with bigger kitchen. Love everything else though.

David

Comment

Between you and Billy it is getting hard to keep up with the Joneses.

Comment

In the early '90s, my parents inherited a lakefront house on a beautiful 'finger' of Cedar Creek Lake. The vegetation was lush, the lots were large, and the homes were from the mid-1960s and very well kept with nearly everyone having a dock and covered boat house. Unfortunately the yearly droughts brought the water level so low that no one could use their boat anymore; even the neighborhood boat ramp was a big pile of dirt with trees and grass growing all over it. In north Texas, I would be more concerned with a receding lake than a flood.

As for some of the realities of living near water, what I remember about it is everything was constantly damp so even treated wood was complete garbage in less than ten years. We built several iterations of sheds and decks just to watch them slowly decompose. Bugs, snakes, and mice get into every corner of your house, and that is exacerbated by the pier-and-beam construction that a lot of lakefront homes use due to the shifting soil they are built on.

They intended to retire there, but they decided to sell when maintaining a home here in DFW and a lake house was just too much money and effort to justify the benefit. It was pretty awesome for a few years though. Be ready to spend WAY more money and time to keep up a lakefront house than you would for your average NTX suburbian spread. Good luck!
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
          That's a hella nice piece of property but needs a remodel with bigger kitchen. Love everything else though.

David
          I think the area with the smaller kitchen and red counter tops is actually the guest house.

That place seems like a lot of house/property for the money. I wonder what it sold for.
          70' Chevelle RagTop
          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I lived on the north end of eagle mountain lake for 2 years it was awesome I fished everyday. Our house was on stilts so there were some foundation issues. There are a ton of snakes and big ass bugs.
            "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              flooding with lakes usually isnt an issue. from what i remember of my grandparents house the only big thing was everything would rust because of the humidity
              If you finance the property, I can almost guarantee you'll need flood insurance, whether or not if you think the house will actually flood.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                I think the area with the smaller kitchen and red counter tops is actually the guest house.

That place seems like a lot of house/property for the money. I wonder what it sold for.
                I believe you can go o Tarrant Appraisal District and find out with an address.

David

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                  If you finance the property, I can almost guarantee you'll need flood insurance, whether or not if you think the house will actually flood.
                  Yep. But, flood insurance isn't expensive. It was a hell of a lot more reasonable than I expected.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Yep. But, flood insurance isn't expensive. It was a hell of a lot more reasonable than I expected.
                    Depends on the policy and where it is. I've seen anywhere from $25/month to over $2,000/month. Lake shouldn't be too bad, but it's definitely not something I'd overlook when budgeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                      Between you and Billy it is getting hard to keep up with the Joneses.
                      Billy's ballin' out of control, I'm just trying to grow old near some dang water!!

Comment

Stay away from Lake Vilbig in Irving. It'sa sinkhole. A couple years ago a couple of people's back yards slid off into the lake to never be seen again...

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          I guess I dont see enough of your posts, or I only read the threads where said asshats are harassed. Several guys on here whom I respect have stated that you are a good guy, so I believe it...but some of the shit you say is pretty harsh...and oftentimes the target isnt aware they are being condescended. LoL.

I see what you're saying, but he really only fucks with the people that attract attention to themselves with dumbassery. Besides, it is funny, and as you said, most of the time they are too stupid to figure it out. No harm, no foul IMO.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

White people problems.

Comment

I don't personally own any lake front property (the railroad wouldn't hire me) but I have several relatives and friends that do. Wildlife and insects are the main things but you'll get that by just leaving the city. Also if it's a busy lake you'll get lots of noise all day long. I live a mile away from Benbrook lake and it's noisy when the weather is nice.

If you don't mind a drive the Palo Pinto reservoir is pretty nice. Land is a lot cheaper and although the lake is kind of small it's never that busy, if there is anyone on the water they probably live there. The part I really like is that the feed river is deep enough to ride a jet ski up it for 10+ miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X