Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throw $ at paid off daily or cut bait and replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw $ at paid off daily or cut bait and replace?

What would you do?

I have a paid off 03 G35 sedan that I love. 130k miles and its the best daily driver I've ever had. The driveline is solid and I've already fixed/upgraded the brakes and stereo, and put some 18" coupe wheels on it. Suspension is shot, needs tires and the clear coat is starting to go to shit.

So that's around $2k in mechanical stuff and who knows how much in paint or plastidip or whatever, lol.

Seems like the no-brainer is to keep the paid off car but I can't roll it around squeaking and oxidizing, and the thousands of dollars of fixin' would pay for many months of a newer and lower mileage something else.

So what to do?
    Fix it!
    0%
    Replace it!
    0%
    Evil Jose is my favorite moderator
    0%

Get a new car.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
      Get a new car.
      Yeah? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        Yeah? Why?
        Because, not turning into a problem.

Comment

New car, problems will probably just keep on coming.

Comment

This is the same decision that I have been struggling with on my car for the past couple of years. Told myself at the end of last year that 2012 would be the last year I put money into it other than oil changes and tires. So I'm going to drive it until it stops, then probably leave it wherever it died and take a cab ride to a dealership.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Keep it. I have had this argument with myself over my truck. The no car payment thing keeps convincing me to make the repairs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Hah, I think my problem is complicated by the fact that I love the damn car. If I replaced it, I'd probably have to go with another G, but the newer ones aren't as light and fun to drive as the original.

The list of RWD luxo-sport sedans is pretty short and all signs point to BMW. I don't want a German car that's too used and I damn sure don't want to pay for a new one.

Comment

This is a dilemma a 20-something would deal with.

I'm all about functionality. A paid off car trumps car payments. The 2k + optional paint job is far less than years of car payments and higher insurance costs.
                  Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

You should get a Jeep!

Comment

I pondered jumping into a car payment over not wanting to deal with the 1k in parts plus labor for my fuel pump............for about 5 minutes. I do not miss having a car payment and as much as I like the VW's I like money in my bank account a lot more.

Comment

what i would do:

replace tires
                        replace suspension with slightly used(cheap and if you still have stock it will be an upgrade lol)
                        plastidip it!

i will not be buying a new car until i can buy it all in cash monies.. try to stick me with some payment plan.. that's for suckas! got my daddy like that years ago on a cadillac..

Comment

Jody's unemployed. Get him to run a cost/benefit analysis.
                          Last edited by YALE; 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                            This is a dilemma a 20-something would deal with.

I'm all about functionality. A paid off car trumps car payments. The 2k + optional paint job is far less than years of car payments and higher insurance costs.
                            That's true. Dollars to dollars, fixing is less invested. Thing is, there is a point of diminishing returns on resale. I could easily spend more than its worth and end up with a nice, pretty much worthless 200k mile car.

Comment

Sounds like you want a new shitmobile. Buy one, come back in a few years, bitch about it, profit?

Comment

Working...
                              X