No announcement yet.

'09 Maxima or '08 Civic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a reliable car thats going to hold it's resale value and just about any shade tree mechanic can repair go for the Honda. Nissans are as complicated as Audis now, just about anything beyond an air filter or oil change requires a factory scan tool.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      If you want a reliable car thats going to hold it's resale value and just about any shade tree mechanic can repair go for the Honda. Nissans are as complicated as Audis now, just about anything beyond an air filter or oil change requires a factory scan tool.
      That.

I really, really like the maxima, but the civic will likely be cheaper, use less fuel, and be worth more in the end. Its more of an appliance car, and the max would be a hell of a lot more comfortable and fun, but not for your wallet.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CyaNide View Post
        As much as I don't like Honda, fuck a bunch of Nissan . So go Honda.

CN
        Agreed. Fuck Nissan.

Comment

Thanks guys, except you keith, i'm not buying your SVO.

The maxima i'm looking at is really nice with leather and all that good stuff. Found two civics at Greenville Chrysler, the Si looks kinda rough but the other one seems to be ok.

Looks like my main decision is do I want a really nice car with "ok" mileage or an ok car with great gas mileage.

Anybody want to buy an '06 Ranger?? lol

Comment

Forgot to mention, should I be worried about either of these kind of cars having high mileage on them?

Think the Nissan has around 96k on it and the civics both have around 88k. I just figured these cars go forever

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
              Forgot to mention, should I be worried about either of these kind of cars having high mileage on them?

Think the Nissan has around 96k on it and the civics both have around 88k. I just figured these cars go forever
              VQ35DE (Maxima) engines have timing chain problems sometimes, if it's not rattling at 96k though it's probably going to be good for a while. They also have a CVT, which as far as those go Nissan's is pretty reliable. Everyone else has ditched them in big cars due to reliablity problems.

Just a comparison for you though. A used engine for that Maxima is well over $2500 and it's a 15+ hour job to replace. That Civic would be more like $750 and it's a 10 hour job that any dirtball shop can do.

Comment

Honda > nissan as far as reliability from what i have seen.

If you are looking at something a little more Luxo like the maxima VS the Civic, look at an Acura TL.
                they get good gas mileage and have the reliability of honda.
                2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

honda! How much for the Ranger??
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Why not look at an Accord?

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                      honda! How much for the Ranger??

Around 6500. Not trying to make money on it, just pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        Why not look at an Accord?

I could do that too. I just mentioned a civic cause it's smaller and I've always though I would like to have one for gas mileage purposes

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                          I could do that too. I just mentioned a civic cause it's smaller and I've always though I would like to have one for gas mileage purposes
                          I drove an 05 Accord for a few years. I would average about 32mpgs - mostly high way. It was a lot "nicer" for the money than any other car I could find in the price range I was looking at.

I only mentioned it because the Maxima is more equal to the Accord than an Civic.

Comment

I'm starting to lean towards the Civic. Probably a newer Civic than a '08, like an '10 or '11. Something about seeing that mpg number being close to 40 on the highway just really gets my attention. Think i'll go looking after work tomorrow or this weekend.

Comment

My experiences come from my '12 Nissan Frontier, and an 09 Civic SI I babysat for a friend. (apples to oranges-ish..but might be applicable to big civic vs maxima) The civic wasn't horribly comfortable. It made lots of road noise, couldn't really get out of its own way, and the interior didn't feel any better than my old Firehawk (which aren't exactly known for having quality interiors). As for my Frontier, truck runs great, dealership has been great. Interior quality on the truck is rattle free, and doesn't scare me like the civic trying to merge onto the freeway (partially because its a bigger frontier). The civic did get awesome mileage, but in the end, if that's all I'm after, I'll get a motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X