New 5.0 owners: Stick or Auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
    1 day in traffic for 3 hours bumper to bumper will change everyones mind on a shitty commute, and make them change jobs!
    Fixed that typo for ya'!
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

DCT>Manual>Auto
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I don't have a 5.0, but I'm in the "sports cars have manuals" camp.

Besides, in this day and age, a manual transmission is a anti-theft device.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

1 day in traffic for 3 hours bumper to bumper will change everyones mind in getting a manual.
          Hasn't changed mine

2012 300A GT MT6 brembo, 3.73, bought new

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            I just drove my BIL's 88 LX in traffic today. Its the only time I ever wish a car was auto.

I converted my 86 to a manual and never looked back.
            The pedal effort on my mustangs have always sucked in traffic. Even the softest mustang clutch is too much for traffic. My firebird on the other hand is great in traffic, the LS7 clutch is on par with most 4 cylinder cars for pedal effort.

Originally posted by BP View Post
            With Tremec building most of the Borg Warner transmissions now and outsourcing it all to India I'd be scared of a manual transmission in most new cars.

DCTs are going to replace slushboxes eventually. Fort has already done it in the Focus and Fiestas, Dodge did it in their Dart, BMW and VW pioneered their use. You get all of the benefits of a manual (no drivetrain loss, additional torque load rating) but with none of the problems of using a clutch.
            The clutch is the whole point of a manual.

Comment

My 2014 GT has the softest clutch pedal I've ever felt... it's almost as soft as my Logitech G27 clutch pedal for gaming and that's just a simple spring for resistance.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                I don't have a 5.0, but I'm in the "sports cars have manuals" camp.

Besides, in this day and age, a manual transmission is a anti-theft device.
                This. I am stunned at how few people can drive a manual.

Comment

I was surprised at how light the new clutch pedals are. I'm also surprised at the number of respondents to this thread. I knew we had a lot of people with the new 5.0's, but didn't realize it was this many. Pretty cool. Like being in the 90's again.

Comment

speaking of pedals.

When the foxbodies came out, did anyone complain about the closeness of the pedals to each other? My shoes tend to get caught on each other when i am shifting.

and no, i don't have fat feet.

Comment

speaking of pedals.

When the foxbodies came out, did anyone complain about the closeness of the pedals to each other? My shoes tend to get caught on each other when i am shifting.

and no, i don't have fat feet.

Never bothered me driving with Chucks. Doc Martens were another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        Never bothered me driving with Chucks. Doc Martens were another thing.
                        Its happened for me in some rockports, tennis shoes, and flip flops.

Comment

I take the left foot flip flop off when I'm driving. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Maybe you're just uncoordinated

Comment

1 day in traffic for 3 hours bumper to bumper will change everyones mind in getting a manual.
                              I live in the traffic capital of the world, and my daily is a stick. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

The auto in the new Mustangs is extremely good, but for me the auto was not an option. I drove ~350 miles to get a car optioned the way I wanted: cloth seats, 3.73s, and a stick - that's it. I sit in traffc probably 8hrs every week and I have no regrets about the little bit of extra effort. There are a few guys running great times with the auto but I absolutely love the M6 and wouldn't change it if I could.
                                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                                X