New 5.0 owners: Stick or Auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 5.0 owners: Stick or Auto?

Been reading some articles lately about how difficult it is for manufacturers to continue offering a manual transmission because the market segment is getting so small. Right off the bat, I think this poll will be biased towards manuals, but I think in another ten or so years we might see the end of the manual option in the Mustang. So, 2011-2014 owners, slushbox or auto in your ride? Did you buy the car new or used?
    Manual, bought new.
    0%
    Manual, bought used.
    0%
    Auto, bought new.
    0%
    Auto, bought used.
    0%

im a purist when it comes to Manuals... My most recent muscle car (weak it might be) was a 2013 Challenger RT 6speed. Now given the AUTO challengers are faster than the 6speed but i still preferred my 6speed.

Comment

New autos are no longer slush boxes. 6-7-8 speeds that shift in milliseconds are the wave of the future.
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

havent all the big automakers pretty much gotten rid of manuals in the trucks for the same reason? and its faster for them to build the automobile?

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
          havent all the big automakers pretty much gotten rid of manuals in the trucks for the same reason? and its faster for them to build the automobile?
          I know when I was shopping for a new diesel truck I had a hard time finding one with 3 pedals.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I know when I was shopping for a new diesel truck I had a hard time finding one with 3 pedals.
            Ever since at least 2011 you couldn't get a Ford 3/4-1 ton with a standard box.

Comment

Manual for me. New purchase for the 13 GT, and used for the SVO. Mustangs withs autos are girly, but new autos are hard to compare to the rally ones I grew up with.

Several performance cars have already dropped offering a manual.

That's crazy.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Depends on what you're using it for. I have the manual in my '12, but we're looking at a 4R70 swap now, both for the consistency of an auto, and for my increasingly bad right shoulder. Getting old sucks.

Comment

As long as ford offers it, all my mustangs will be manual, unless it goes paddle shifter like a lambo, then I am all game.

Comment

Before I bought my 500 I was looking at GT's and wanted an auto for drag racing. The autos can handle a ton of power right out of the box. That being said, I do not regret getting a manual.
                    '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
                    '13 Dodge Cummins
                    '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Isnt HPP's GT running an auto in the 9s?

Comment

I heard that Ford had found that their Automatics were more durable and capable than any manual tranny. Hence the reason they aren't offered on trucks any longer.

My last 'stang was an auto. It was my daily driver and I had to sit in traffic from Lake Dallas to Perot Systems in Plano. Also, my wife can't drive a stick and would occasionally need to drive (re: I must be dying because there is no way I would let her touch it)

Now, since I telecommute, I think I would seriously consider a 'stang with a manual. However an Auto with paddle shifters (and dual clutch) would get my attention.

Comment

I will be looking very hard at getting a 2015 when they come out. I am leaning towards an auto because of the time I'll spend drag racing. Better for drag racing and can handle more power, these new 6 spd autos are awesome.

But I've got to figure out if it's worth the fun of driving a stick. Right now, leaning toward auto.

I didn't vote in poll since i don't currently own a new 5.0
                          2014 GT
                          2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
                            Isnt HPP's GT running an auto in the 9s?
                            Yep, so is Lund, Beefcake and a bunch of other people.
                            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
                            '13 Dodge Cummins
                            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

My '14 GT has a 6MT and I bought it new, NO WAY I would buy an auto. My '92 LX has a 5MT and same thing, no such thing as a sports car with a manual (that can still take a curve IMO).

Now if they had a paddle shift, dual clutch option, I'd certainly consider that! But I have to be in charge of what gear I'm in.
                              Originally posted by stevo
                              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X